In the Grove

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Rye

In the Grove

Post by Rye »

I haven't posted much lately because I'm currently in Los Angeles on a sort of extended vacation, partially for business partially for personal reasons.

Anyway, today I decided to take the plunge and I went to walk around a local mall, called "The Grove," which also has a farmer's market in the same complex. It's an outdoor shopping center with a large pedestrian central area. I decided to wear a skirt. This is the first time I've ever gone out in public in a skirt that wasn't a kilt.

The experience went pretty well, no one said anything to me, I caught the occasional odd look but most people just didn't respond at all. In other words, my experience was pretty much the same as the majority of those posted on here and made me wish I'd done it sooner.
~RyeBread
DanR

Re: In the Grove

Post by DanR »

Originally posted by Rye

The experience went pretty well, no one said anything to me, I caught the occasional odd look but most people just didn't respond at all. In other words, my experience was pretty much the same as the majority of those posted on here and made me wish I'd done it sooner.

So that means you've just doubled your okay-to-wear-in-public MUG wardrobe, right? :)
Dan Richardson
The CitySkirt Company
Rye

Post by Rye »

I don't know about that. I wasn't wearing a MUG, the skirt I was wearing was one of those tiered gypsy-like skirts that so many on this forum seem to hate, but I really like. It may have gone over fine in LA because people are used to seeing weird things, so a guy in a skirt is small potatoes. I'm not so sure I'd want to wear the same skirt in ohio.
~RyeBread
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

You have now had your baptism!

Welcome to the most exclusive men's club in the world!

You are hereby deemed an official Skirt-wearing-Man (Applause)

Wear it in good health and good spirit!

Bill
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

I have worn my denim mini, 16" long or so from the GAP, around southwestern Ohio with out any real problems. You get a few looks and I am sure some comments behind my back. On a hot summer day most just take them as baggy shorts. The only issue so far was a small group of 16-year old girls that started making a lot of noise. I was concerned that they were making so much noise the manager of the store was going to boot us all out for causing a disturbance.

I have actually had more looks/comments in my short denim shorts I got from International Male. Teenagers were not around in the 70's so they are not use to seeing a guy in shorts with a 3.5" inseam.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Originally posted by Rye
I don't know about that. I wasn't wearing a MUG, the skirt I was wearing was one of those tiered gypsy-like skirts that so many on this forum seem to hate, but I really like. It may have gone over fine in LA because people are used to seeing weird things, so a guy in a skirt is small potatoes. I'm not so sure I'd want to wear the same skirt in ohio.

Rye,
Good for you. I love those tiered skirts, they seem to be so light and airy, with a lot of movement and flow. They are very popular in the UK, almost to a fault. However, I've never tried one. Perhaps I should before they go out of fashion. White seems a popular colour, but I have seen dark brown, purple and dark blue. What colour is yours?
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
knappen

Post by knappen »

I currently enjoy a gypsy style skirt . I prefer the ease of movement and like the freedom it affords. I haven't tried wearing it out in public. I live in a small western town. Elastic waist is very comfortable and the length is maximum for walking ease, just above the ankle.Only drawback is no small pockets should add one inside waist. what footwear do you like with yours?and shirt style?
knappen
Ash

tiered skirts - a reversal

Post by Ash »

Hi folks,

Rye, I reckon I was probably one of those people who professed not to like tiered skirts. However. I must announce with appropriate contrition that I've bought one, and it's great! I got it from a company called 'Long Tall Sally' so you can guess it's a long one. In fact it skims my toes when I'm wearing sandals. I can't tell you how comfortable it is. I haven't ventured out in it yet but I shall. Just hope it doesn't get too scuffed on the ground. It's black, by the way and fits like it was made for me. Here is a link to their website. http://www.longtallsally.com/
They also have an outlet at Rackhams/House of Fraser, which is where I got mine. I'm not sure if they're available in the US.

Best wishes,

Ash
Daring to be different.
Rye

Post by Rye »

The skirt that I wore was brown and went to just below my knees. I prefer to wear stuff that covers my knees because I have psoriasis and I have some bad patches right on my knees and elbows. I wore it with converse all stars although I think it looks better with a pair of sandals.

I agree with the pocket thing, however since I often wear girls' jeans and their pockets seem to serve no functional purpose whatsoever, I'll carry a courier bag with me for my wallet and keys and such. I just carried this bag with me with the skirt that day. I also just wore a reddish t-shirt that I got at a thrift store, it's sort of a 'lucky shirt,' kind of worn without being torn and faded, I think it looks good with the wrinkly style of the gypsy skirt.

And yes, they are light and airy, and that is what felt so great about wearing it monday because it was much nicer a feeling than jeans or even shorts. That must be why this style of skirt is so popular right now. I saw plenty of women wearing them that same day, so I almost wonder if I even stuck out at all.
~RyeBread
tom miller

tiered skirts?

Post by tom miller »

I love the style and the feel also. They tend to be rather fem, but what skirt or even kilt hasn't been "womans' domain" for the last 300 years? I've aquired several, I wear them to dance in and at home. What I call the "action" can be dramatic, specially if you work at it. It's pretty well accepted in Contra (New England Country) dance universally. I wear them to Scottish, but usually my tartan kilt, as well as English and International Folk dance. I started at folk dance on a challange to the women, some 25 or so, that hadn't a one worn a skirt in 3 weeks. I said " this place lacks color and flaire, and if the women didn't care to wear skirtsthe men would". So I have. No other Okies have joined me, yet. It' different getting complimented for "having the greatist skirts, and awsome legs". Wouldn't you know my wife would get jealous and go shopping. She got 5 of this style. I get complements wearing hand-me-downs from my wife and her mother. Try out the Contra Dance scene, It's a showcase for that style, whatever it's called. Tom PS The women are wearing skirts more often now that they know they're being seen.
tridanman....Don't skirt the skirt issue,get out and skirt!
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

talk about great minds thinking alike. my girlfriend bought a tiered gypsy skirt two weeks ago and I tried it around the house but didn't get the nerve to wear it out. they really are so damn comfortable.

I wish I had now--I stuck to pocket-laden and straight-line designs because I worried about the more feminine appearance. the whole thing is that the air gets inside them and it feels so refreshing not to be carrying around some rotten fungus laden air around the skin, like in jeans!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Me too

Post by ChrisM »

I too have one that I often wear at home or on the boat, but definitely not around town.

Can't find a shirt that accords well with it, I must say.

Chris
davereporter

Post by davereporter »

I suspect that the real reason gypsy style skirts are so popular is because they are quick and easy to make, they are not fitted so one can wear them irrespective of their (lack of) figure, they are generically sized and since they billow all over the place one does not have to worry about sitting with their knees together etc.

Whilst I wouldn't wear one myself, enjoy!

Dave
johnd

tiered gypsy-like skirts

Post by johnd »

:drool:
Rye wrote:I was wearing was one of those tiered gypsy-like skirts that so many on this forum seem to hate, but I really like.
Dont count me as one of thous who dosen`t like them , Oh no I`d give anything to have the guts to wear one of mine openly in public, I have 5 of them and adore that style they are so comfey !, but here in the UK where i live I`d feel safer if another in a skirt went with me !
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Tiered skirts

Post by Since1982 »

I bought one. It's Capri Blue and ankle length, even has a 2 inch border on the bottom of a lacey material. I didn't know that was going to be there when I ordered it, and I thought about cutting it off. But, since it IS a tiered skirt and not "supposed" to be men's wear, I left it on 'cause cutting it off would make it shorter than I wanted. The border is the same color as the rest of the skirt so it's not really much of a big deal. I wear skirts in public all the time now but haven't yet gotten up the courage to wear the tiered skirt in public. I hope I do some day, need some courage juice I guess. I have no problem wearing straight skirts, A-line skirts or pencil skirts, even a few brightly colored skirts or flowered sarongs.....I even wear slips under some of them sometimes, the jury's still out on the tiered skirt in public for me tho...:shake:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/