The Garderobe

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

The Garderobe

Post by Stu »

Only one person from this discussion board has ever visited my home (past home). About 20 years ago, one skirted gent called Rudi who was a regular contributor on here was visiting the UK from his home in Maryland in order to participate in an international cycling event that was taking place about 15 miles from my home. I collected him from the nearest railway station and first brought him to my house where we shared a hearty lunch of roast chicken. Before setting off to the event venue, he asked me if he could use my "restroom". I hadn't a clue what that meant. Did he need to rest or something? Eventually, he said: "Yeah, your bathroom". Ah! Now I get it! The word "restroom" isn't a term we use here in the UK.

My late mother-in-law used to refer to the same room in the house as the "privi" whereas my wife says "loo". However, my wife mentioned a couple of times that she thinks we are losing many of the rights and liberties we traditionally enjoyed and a couple of times she has uttered the old expression "An Englishman's home is his castle", meaning we are entitled to defend our homes from everyone, including state officials. With that thought in mind, I started referring to the toilet as the "garderobe", which was the Medieval word for that, and was especially used when talking about ancient castles. Posh people in the UK tend to use the term "lavatory" (literally "washing room") or "WC", which means "water closet". I also found that "WC" is quite a well-known term in Denmark for the same room.

So what do others on here use as a euphemism for the "smallest room in the house"?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Garderobe

Post by Barleymower »

My family is quite loud in announcing "I need the toilet". Much to my dismay. I am definitely a loo person.
My mum always referred to "doing your business". So much so that I associated 'business" with plop.
At school there was only one word to use. The bog.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

In Ireland we frequently refer to the toilet as ‘the jacks’. Not sure if it is a play on that other name for the toilet in common usage ‘the John’.

Not particularly Irish but some people also say, “I’m just going to see a man about a dog”!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'm known for using the nautical term, "head". "WC" is used in the US by architects.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have heard of it called "That Place" and "The spend a penny". The latter referred to the use of pay toilets in railway stations and department stores.
The last time I saw a pay toilet was back in 1997 and the price was $.25. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

The jacks, the bog, the bathroom, all used interchangeably in this house.
As for pay toilets, still a few knocking around in shopping centres in Ireland
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Stu wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:12 pm I also found that "WC" is quite a well-known term in Denmark for the same room.
It is, even if "toilet" probably is more common today, at least north of Copenhagen, where I live. In my childhood we said WC - pronounced 'Ve'Se with abrupt vocals.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

"The bathroom" "The toilet" (terms used at home)

"Restroom" (not used at home, this term is usually used when eating at a fancier restaurant or when one is trying to be polite when asking - "Where are your restrooms?")

After a trip, or just being out for a while, sometimes "I've gotta go" is spoken to refer to the bathroom - instead of saying "I need to use the bathroom". Usually it is said with much urgency.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

This thread made me wonder why the British call it the Loo. Here’s what I found:

Despite its British popularity for a slightly less crude way to call the toilet, the word “loo” is actually derived from the French phrase 'guardez l'eau', meaning 'watch out for the water”.

Guess it harkens back to a less sanitized time. Haha

Posting only what I found, please take no offense.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

In Danish we have the term lokum from latin locus = place. It describes a primitive toilet/closet without water.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

ScotL wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:10 pm This thread made me wonder why the British call it the Loo. Here’s what I found:

Despite its British popularity for a slightly less crude way to call the toilet, the word “loo” is actually derived from the French phrase 'guardez l'eau', meaning 'watch out for the water”.
Loo comes to us from Scotland -- specifically, Edinburgh. No doubt it is a product of the Auld Alliance between France and Scotland:
https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts- ... gh-1480434
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm a 'Loo' person, or more accurately, we (family) are 'Loo' persons.

We are just back from 8 days spent touring round South UK visiting old friends from yesteryear, family and crumbling cousins. In several unfamiliar houses I have asked where the 'Little boys' room' is and the correct understanding is universal.

Garderobe(s) tended to be situated high up in medieval castles with a clear vertical drop within the walls to the ammonia-producing effluent far below, (usually three to five floors) and laundered clothes were frequently hung over the aperture to aerate them.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:29 am
Garderobe(s) tended to be situated high up in medieval castles with a clear vertical drop within the walls to the ammonia-producing effluent far below, (usually three to five floors) and laundered clothes were frequently hung over the aperture to aerate them.

Tom
As the medieval linguists here can agree, in the evolution from medieval (Norman?) French to modern English, the French consonant G (plus a following U when followed by e or i) often became the English consonant W (but later borrowings didn't usually do this.)
A few examples: Guillaume became William, guimpe became (a nun's) wimple, guerre and guerrier became war and warrior, (le Pays de) Galles became Wales, garantir became to warrant (and later, in a second borrowing, to guarantee), guichet became wicket, and finally our word of the day, garderobe became wardrobe.

The ammonia that Tom mentions was also to drive off insects such as moths whose larvae that might otherwise damage clothes, mainly of wool at this period.
Familyman34
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

familyman34 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:38 am finally our word of the day, garderobe became wardrobe.
Ha! Thank you for learning me that. I didn’t know this about the languages but I love learning stuff like this. Despite never being a great student of English in school. Wasn’t good in history either growing up but now love it. Funny how some subjects become much more fascinating once you leave school…
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Scotl,

FM34 didn't learn you that, he taught you that. He's obviously a wizard on the history of language(s).

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !