Voice cloning scams

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Voice cloning scams

Post by moonshadow »

https://wcyb.com/news/nation-world/ftc- ... r-security

So apparently this is a thing now.

So if you have family or friends that frequently hit you up for money.... confirm it's actually them...

... or you could just follow my strategy and say no anyway.. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Voice cloning scams

Post by Spirou003 »

In doubt, asking for some very specific information that only the alledged caller could know is a way to reveal the scam. I feel I'm out of risk right now, everybody around me (me included) is not doing any video or whatever from where the voice could be reused by scammers.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

What ever you do, DON'T ANSWER A YES OR NO QUESTION :!:
Find a work-around. Don't say yes, or OK, to any of their questions.

I have "people" calling me saying they're from Medicare Benefits.
I know right away, that they're lying :!: I tell them as such and
demand they remove my number from their calling list.
(The back ground noise is a dead give away.)

Then I black-list them on my call filter, built into my phone. :twisted:

They're lower than a snake's belly in a wheel rut :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:13 am I have "people" calling me saying they're from Medicare Benefits.
I know right away, that they're lying I tell them as such and
demand they remove my number from their calling list.
(The back ground noise is a dead give away.)
They're lower than a snake's belly in a wheel rut
These may be poor folks, so I have a little compassion, but I let them know that I know it is a scam, and urge them to find an honest job.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

If you regularly send money to someone you obviously have their true bank details. These scams require you to fall for the obvious con that the usual account isn’t available for some reason, but here’s a different one to use.

As someone running a business I see a lot of scams, mainly by email. Some are more sophisticated and convincing than others but all are obvious on close examination. Healthy scepticism is the best defence.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Never give out your SS# on the phone, if they need it they will ask you to visit one of their offices or send a representative to see you.

Never give out personal details to strangers on the phone, this includes bank numbers and other financial details.

Never give out the names and address or phone numbers of family members on the phone unless you know who you are talking to.

I have over 200 blocked phone numbers on my phone and 99% of them are Colorado numbers. So now when A call comes from a Colorado number it is marked spam risk.
My cell phone has a Colorado number since when my daughter got it for me for Christmas she was in Colorado. So I know that any number from there is going to be spam.

I may be 80 years old but I am not stupid or not in control of my faculties. :rabbit:

Learn how to block spam numbers on your phone it cuts down on the number of bad calls you get.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.