Where will we be in say... ten years?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where will we be in say... ten years?

Post by Grok »

Other science fiction franchises have done better. For example, the Firefly franchise not only took inspiration from the present, but also the past; which turned out to be somewhat more interesting than Halo, even though none of the males wore a skirted rig.

Could I do better?

First, add color to the clothing, at least on a few of the outfits. The pervasive drabness is just lame.

For males, my bare minimum requirement would be a token kilt or two. Better than nothing, and something that exists in the present. Ideally, I would also like to see a few males wear other types of skirted rigs.

Actually, the most inspired costume was the futuristic armor worn by the Spartan super soldiers.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Start Trek at one time had male background characters in the short uniform dress. Didn't last long, Next Generation only I believe...
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

crfriend wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:23 am
Dust wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:30 pm
crfriend wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:05 amI am hoping to be gone by then.
Please don't say that.
Why? Once we are born, each and every one of us will die. So far, there is no way to escape that destiny, and I am quite fine with that,.

Part of the issue is that I completely, absolutely, and indelibly detest what our modern culture has become. Long gone is the hope for a more vibrant and verdant world ahead of us, and all that is off the bow is nothing but despair, bankruptcy, and poverty for us. More damned wars over idiotic matters, more damned hardships for the common man, and nothing positive even remotely visible on the horizon.

Why should I soldier on in that sort of world when it contrasts so badly to the one I grew up in? Will my modern presence even be noted, other than the fact that once in a while I am more than happy to raise high the middle finger and speak truth to power -- and power absolutely hates that. I am a dinosaur, and have no place in the modern world. What's the Hell is the point?

Now, before anybody draws the wrong conclusion, I am not about to "check out early" [1]. However, if something happens and takes me out I'm OK with that.

[1] Back in 2013, I was driven deeply suicidal by crimes committed against me. I did my best to hide that from my late ex- (although I highly suspect she was aware of the fact). In a revealing conversation with a (sadly passed) friend who was a clinical counsellor, I mentioned that quite possibly the only reason I survived was that I had trivial access to firearms and ammunition. The guy was astonished, but the explanation of why spoke volumes -- it relieved me of the worry about method and allowed me to focus on the larger picture. It took several minutes for him to actually process that, but in the end a comment came back to the effect of, "I can see that." Such is the way my mind works.
Carl. I never got the chance to respond to this post when this thread was fresh from the grave a few months prior, so allow me to revive this once again to thank you for creating and being a part of this niche community on the Web. I do hope you continue to have a long life and make it to the 2030s. I know this seems brief, but I think this site has helped many people come in terms with themselves. Rather it be skirts, dresses, or even just personal identity. Once again, thank you.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Hypothetical scenario....

Somebody markets a hiking dress for men. This becomes the first dress to gain traction.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Grok wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:22 pm Hypothetical scenario....

Somebody markets a hiking dress for men. This becomes the first dress to gain traction.
Grok I don't think finding the right item of clothing helps. It more about perceptions of men and women. Women have become hyper feminine and at the same time masculine. It leaves very little room for men to move around in.

A dress is a dress and will be seen as such.

What I have seen is a move from younger groups to make what was seen as feminine only to looking good for men. This coupled with older men pushing themselves into a wider dress code, not without some jeering but doing it anyway.

Then there are groups like this where we support each other and through each other finding the strength to go out there.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Until the majority of men view their existing clothing options as inadequate, there will be no change. We will be here on SkirtCafe in the same place 10 years from now. We need to remember that the average Joe views clothing as totally utilitarian and goes to Costco to purchase 10 identical trousers, 10 T-shirts or Polo shirts, and 10 underwear. He doesn’t care about the color. He just grabs the stuff and males a beeline for the checkout line. Until men become dissatisfied with the Man-Box clothing options, nothing will change one iota.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

jamie001 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:30 pm Until the majority of men view their existing clothing options as inadequate, there will be no change. We will be here on SkirtCafe in the same place 10 years from now. We need to remember that the average Joe views clothing as totally utilitarian and goes to Costco to purchase 10 identical trousers, 10 T-shirts or Polo shirts, and 10 underwear. He doesn’t care about the color. He just grabs the stuff and males a beeline for the checkout line. Until men become dissatisfied with the Man-Box clothing options, nothing will change one iota.
The average Joe will do exactly that.

The average Joe represents the fattest part of the normal distribution curve. There is a large number of men outside of that who would jump at the chance when the doors opened to them.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Barleymower wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:14 pm
jamie001 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:30 pm Until the majority of men view their existing clothing options as inadequate, there will be no change. We will be here on SkirtCafe in the same place 10 years from now. We need to remember that the average Joe views clothing as totally utilitarian and goes to Costco to purchase 10 identical trousers, 10 T-shirts or Polo shirts, and 10 underwear. He doesn’t care about the color. He just grabs the stuff and males a beeline for the checkout line. Until men become dissatisfied with the Man-Box clothing options, nothing will change one iota.
The average Joe will do exactly that.

The average Joe represents the fattest part of the normal distribution curve. There is a large number of men outside of that who would jump at the chance when the doors opened to them.
who says we average joe needs to? We only need enough guys to wear them enough so people have at least aware of men's skirts. I think most of us would be happy if it reached the level kilts have now. Everyone knows of them, and only teenagers and wacko jerks, actually have an issue with them. Not a lot of guys wear knickerbockers, but a lot of people know what they are, no serious issues wearing those, heck even the suit is becoming uncommon in the Average joe's wardrobe.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I think in 10 years time, the vast majority of people, both male and female will still be in a range of ordinary boring easy to wear clothes. You see this in what the average woman wears now compared with a few years ago. There will still be the stand out people both male and female who you notice in a crowd of ordinary.

I think a man in a skirt is going to remain a stand out as a man in a good suit is becoming or a well dressed woman.

The fun is though, anyone can be a standout. Any person can go from a beige shell suit ordinary to a great skirted look with a change of outfit.

I think if you are waiting for many men to wear skirts so you can quietly join the herd, you will be in trousers forever. The only way is to be different and stand out. The thing is though, the world will stand by and let you do it today.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

timemeddler wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:04 pm
We only need enough guys to wear them enough so people have at least aware of men's skirts. I think most of us would be happy if it reached the level kilts have now. Everyone knows of them,
I have to wonder if we will first start to see men in half way house rigs. For example, the Etalon Mens Skirt/Shorts. Or skorts.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

IMHO, it has been 9 years since this question was originally asked.
I think we have a toe in the water, as opposed to a foot in the door, but not much else.
Yes, I'm free to wear skirted garments of any type or style that I choose.
The rest of the world is still stuck 'in their boxes' as prescribed by society.
Men are still wearing blinders, staying in their boxes, not being allowed to
think for themselves.

What will the next year, or another 10 years, bring :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

In the last few weeks, two young men I supervise in volunteer work have expressed interest in wearing skirts. One asked where I got my skirts and has come to work in a sarong. The other asked my advice on converting old jeans into a skirt.

I expect both of them have only seen me in skirts.

Be yourself. Interact with others in a way that they can respect. We can help the change happen.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Not much has happened as far as men wearing skirts in the wider world, in the past 9 years. On a personal level there have been huge progress in many of our lives regarding breaking clothing conventions.
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:51 am
I think we have a toe in the water, as opposed to a foot in the door, but not much else.

What will the next year, or another 10 years, bring :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Yes, a toe in the water.

Another 10 years?

Perhaps an fraternity of skirted brethren.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:36 pmPerhaps an fraternity of skirted brethren.
Just like this one! (And likely of a similar size.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!