Denim skirt wanted

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jock
Distinguished Member

Denim skirt wanted

Post by Jock »

For some years now I have had a knee length denim skirt. As everyone who has worn one will attest, these are great for men and have the "invisibility" factor.
Sadly, last week I spilt superglue over it (don't ask) and ruined it. So it's gone. :(

I'd really like to get another similar but I'm having difficulty. It seems that as women are not wearing skirts so much the stock available is dwindling.

What I seek is:
Denim
Length around 19" - 20"
A- line rather than pencil
Pockets
belt loops
Zip fly opening on the men's side (important, too many are ladies' side)
No fancy decorations
Not too dear
Available in Great Britain, preferably in store.

I've searched high and low but one or more of these criteria are not met.

Any help pointing me in the right direction will be mucho appreciated
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Denim skirt wanted

Post by Sinned »

Why is the zip side so important? If it's so that you can say that it's a man's skirt then, if you'll forgive me, that's silly, anyway 999,999 people out of 1,000,000 wouldn't even notice which side the zip opens up on. If it's due to a physical problem then I apologise, I don't want to upset anyone. If you can forego that one stipulation then as you say there are thousands about - I have a plain denim one from ASDA that I like and wear a lot and try ebay, of course. I have skirts with the zip opening on the "female" side and I think that all of them are just for show anyway - they serve little useful purpose unless as a bit of "easing" of the waistband when getting the skirt on.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Why is the zip side so important?
I have to say that I agree with Dennis on this one. The number of folks that'll notice that the zip is one way or the other are vanishingly small -- and the ones that do are already experts in the matter. Everybody else will either ignore the garment as yet more denim in a sea of the stuff or not notice at all.

The other bits, like pockets and belt-loops, are important if they serve a real functional purpose.

My humble advice here would be to relax, and pick a garment that meets as many of the criteria as possible even it if doesn't meet all of them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jock,
The "specs" are fairly easy apart from the zipper issue.
If you have the time and inclination try your local charity shops, most economic at a "fiver" max.
Failing that, the chain stores, take your pick.
If the zip really is a "deal breaker", you will only have a limited choice, reflected by price.
I'd agree with the other comments, if anyone has a double take at the skirt, the fastening will not influence their thoughts in any way, shape or form.
As a slight aside, I've worn female jeans ,with the "lady" fastening, not once, did that raise a comment.
Steve.
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

I found the right item, except for the zip fly opening and the old school shopping, availabled in a paipai online store: http://item.wanggou.com/search/0/4B64F6 ... tml#nolink :D

Size 30: waist 80cm, hip 94cm, length 49cm
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I have yet to find someone (other than myself) that sexually dissects clothing for where the zipper or other normal fastenings would appear.
Heck look in a mirror and try and find the flaws - the reverse zipper is perfectly normal here - but wait - is that what I am really seeing ?

In retrospect if you limit yourself to right hand (supposedly male) zippering the skirts and other wear will be drastically reduced in availability.
As noted the zipper is only used as a method to allow the skirt to slide/pass over the hips to fasten at the waist. The hips are normally larger
by a few inches on males and great deal more on females (think of the hour glass waist shape to get the picture) ! With an elastic waist or a
wrap skirt/kilt this is not a problem. Have you considered a skirt with an elastic waist ? Voila no zipper complex to fret about although the
selection of skirts would be very limited ! With a kilt (Utility Type) pockets galore and no zipper or other funny/fancy fastenings to contend with;
just add belt loops and you are in business ! There are plenty of other ways to beat around the SKIRT !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Looked at skirtilator's link, and it looked like a right-hand operating zipper to me. (Men's side).
Found this one, free shipping world-wide:
http://www.asos.com/New-Look-Inspire/Ne ... 1&clr=Navy
And this one: (RH zipper).
http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Curve/ASOS-CUR ... clr=Indigo
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The trouble is that all the skirts that you have shown look like pencil-type to me. Any charity shop or store such as ASDA, Next should have an A-line skirt in them. Failing that ebay with the usual checks on size should provide something.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Something that puzzle me :
If women usually have wider hips than men, why is the zip opening so short on women's skirts?
I have some "women's skirts" that fit me fine once they are on, but it's always a struggle to get them on over shirt and under-shirt, as their is so little opening. Which is one reason why I prefer wrap skirt and kilts.
I've looked for "wrap skirts" in catalogues and am struck by how little overlap there is -- not enough coverage when sitting down! The same with skirts that have a slit at the front, and which look (imho) quite improper on a man.
I suppose this is the main difference between men's clothes and women's; men's things are made to hide the flesh, whereas women's are designed to show as much as possible. I often wonder how women with low necklines and high hemlines avoid catching pneumonia.

Martin
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yes, I've noticed that myself. Women don't seem to feel the cold and wear much less than men out in the winter.
I'll see what other outfits I can find with denim skirts..
This one's pretty bizaare:
http://www.freepeople.com/denim-skirts/ ... ne%20%231/
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

skirtilator wrote:I found the right item, except for the zip fly opening and the old school shopping, available in a paipai online store:
Jack Williams wrote:Looked at skirtilator's link, and it looked like a right-hand operating zipper to me. (Men's side).
Found this one, free shipping world-wide:
http://www.asos.com/New-Look-Inspire/Ne ... 1&clr=Navy
Thank you lads. These two seem to fit the bill, particularly the Asos one.

Thanks too, to all of you who took the time to answer. I understand what you say about the visuals; all part of the invisible denim look. However, I have a really nice jacket that fastens on the "women's" side and it annoys me every time that I go to fasten it. I feel the same about skirt fastenings. I'm habituated to a "men's" side fastening. Were there absolutely no skirts to my spec available then I'd go with the flow, but I know there's something out there. After all my damaged skirt was RH opening and so do the ones pointed out by skirtilator and Jack.

I'm off to have a look at ASDA and Primark this afternoon and maybe some charity shops (less and less skirts stock these days).

That Asos one does look good tho-

Happy skirting, ma bonnie wee laddies!
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

StyleJ have a good selection here:
http://www.denimskirts.com/denimskirts.html
I like this one actually:
http://www.denimskirts.com/urcodesk.html
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The zip opening is so short just to get over the hips and the tighter the fit the better women seem to like it! The waist to hip ratio is closer now than it was years ago. Also men need a longer zip for obvious reasons when standing at the urinal. Doh!

It's always puzzled me that I can travel through the centre of the city on a Saturday night and there's the girls going from club to club wearing very little and the snow drifting around and seeming very happy. Yet get the slightest drop in temperature normally and they're cuddling up and complaining of the cold. Am I missing something here?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:It's always puzzled me that I can travel through the centre of the city on a Saturday night and there's the girls going from club to club wearing very little and the snow drifting around and seeming very happy. Yet get the slightest drop in temperature normally and they're cuddling up and complaining of the cold. Am I missing something here?
The only thing I've managed to figure out about women is that you can't figure them out.

But perhaps what they're wiling to put up with while cruising and what they're willing to put up with while sitting in an office are two very different things.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Couyalair wrote:Something that puzzle me :
If women usually have wider hips than men, why is the zip opening so short on women's skirts?
I have some "women's skirts" that fit me fine once they are on, but it's always a struggle to get them on over shirt and under-shirt, as their is so little opening. Which is one reason why I prefer wrap skirt and kilts.
I've seen this too (have skirts I fear to rip out trying to put them on) - though I figured it was more from trying to wear skirts meant to go on the hips (how can you tell where it's supposed to go?) on my waist. When I look at a women's size chart both my waist and hips land in the same column, though. Perhaps this issue is more prevalent than I thought.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"