I broke the mold.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
chogan1975

I broke the mold.

Post by chogan1975 »

My kilts came in monday of this week. I picked up a pair of new standard Utilikilts.

I then asked my boss and hr if they had any issue with me using the kilt on shorts day. OMG it was so liberating. :D I am still laughing at the women in my office that saw the kilt then would look away from me. I will try and get some pictures and post them soon. I used the jet black kilt for my first venture out in the wild. :) More exciting stories to follow as I venture out more and more in them.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: I boke the mold.

Post by crfriend »

Congratulations on the new acquisitions and for having the nerve to "jump right into the 'deep end'". I wonder if the gals' eyes are on you when you're not looking; the aversion may be a polite response to let you know they're not staring.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Re: I broke the mold.

Post by Tassierob »

Congratulations on the bold approach, it is the only way to go. The first kilts I wore were UKs and like you it was straight to work, only trouble was I was hooked and started wearing them full time. One of my biggest moments was my first work expo without trousers.
Sustainable Living2021.jpg
For me now though I find UKs to long..it is nothing below the knee for me.

All you need to do is work on the rest of the days when I assume you have to look more formal. I can assure you that a black UK with long black socks and shoes, white shirt, tie and jacket is as smart as they come.

Keep on kilting.
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Nice pic. Rob. I agree about the length of the U/K on you. It's a tad too long. Funny, I thought everything in Tasmania (including the signage and all) was upside down. I'm obviously mistaken.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Funny, I thought everything in Tasmania (including the signage and all) was upside down. I'm obviously mistaken.
The camera's upside-down, too, producing the seemingly-normal image. Don't believe it. :twisted:

Good look, Rob, and, no, I don't think it's a tad too long. It is what it is, and you wear it well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

Kirbstone wrote:Nice pic. Rob. I agree about the length of the U/K on you. It's a tad too long. Funny, I thought everything in Tasmania (including the signage and all) was upside down. I'm obviously mistaken.

T.
That was about 5 years ago and at that stage I was more nervous about the kilt than worrying about the length. These days I don't wory about either!

Perception is a funny thing, I thought you guys up North were all upside down and we were up the right way :D
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
Jock
Distinguished Member

Re: I broke the mold. Mould?

Post by Jock »

There was a young chap so we're told
Was daring and thus broke the mould
A kilt he did wear
Causing ladies to stare
For chutzpah please give him a "gold"!
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I suppose that I am breaking the mold here also. I have probably about 50 skirts of various colours and lengths ( mainly mini ) and I need to get some winter ones now. I am in the process of starting to make my own ones - mainly knee to ankle length. There are plenty of sites out there to teach me. My wife understands and is broadly supportive but not comfortable about me wearing one out of the house. I would like to but I have to be mindful of her feelings. I've told her that there are lots of excuses - doing it for a dare, lost a bet and so on. One day we will pop over to the local ASDA and spend some time shopping. Perhaps in time if she sees that I am comfortable with it then she will be. We are off to Egypt shortly and I am determined to wear a skirt at some stage or other. So yes here in York, England I am breaking the mold. The first time I will be nervous but I've generally found that if you exude confidence then others generally aren't that bothered. Wish me luck. 8)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Welcome to Sklrt Cafe, Sinned and I hope you will join fully in our discussions. Just a point, it would be better not to use any excuse like 'dare' or 'lost a bet', as at some stage, you may be going out in public skirted as a matter of course and, thus, will have blown that subterfuge. Just use the word "comfort" and that cannot really be refuted. :welcome:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I think excuses may be fine for a start. You had to wear skirts due to a lost bet. Having this way realized how much more comfortable compared to trousers and how uncomplicated, relly, for a man to wear, you’ll now wear skirts on a regular basis.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
chogan1975

Post by chogan1975 »

Another kilted friday at work, :D i would post some pic's but don't know how to on this site, sorry also had a drink that went to my head so FAST. But later tonight i will be exposing one of my family members to one of the two skirts i bought this week. :D Wish me luck as long as some people don't come over starting this weekend i will be in these two casual skirts around the house. Still looking for a few more casual LONG skrits, ankle length.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You are right - the lost a bet or a dare would be just a one-time thing and I agree that the comfort or lifestyle thing is probably the best answer and one that I would be comfortable with. It's the strong opposition of my wife that's the main stumbling block at the moment. But then she is a stong willed person. See the thread about gaining acceptance as I've given more detail in there.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I broke the mold. Mould?

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Jock wrote:broke the mould...
Jock, I agree with your editorial change from MOLD to MOULD, in my personal opinion. I like to use MOULD for the shape meaning (& moulding, not molding) and MOLD for the biological growth meaning (environmental mold). I like the distinction. Not to mention it was a good limerick.

Sinned (et al.), I second the opinion that the "excuse" dodge by itself isn't a good strategy. Either say "Once, I made a bet about wearing a skirt...", or, my preference, be up front and say that the comfort factor is the key. And consider mentioning that you've found that there is a movement of guys who enjoy wearing skirts and are trying to popularize the idea, much the way women began wearing pants. And anytime you can substitute kilt for skirt, both in what you wear and in conversation, you shift the issue toward the masculine and make it a tad less threatening.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!