Male mayor in skirts!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Male mayor in skirts!

Post by DALederle »

Wow!
I haven't seen a posting here but someone might have mentioned this and I missed it. But for me this a WOW factor.
A man named Stu Rasmussen has been elected as mayor of the town of Silverton, Oregon. He labels himself transgendered and wears women's clothes and even looks a lot like a woman but not pretending to be a woman. He is openly a man and has a girl friend and says he is a strictly hetro male.
I found him on u-tube and found the whole thing interesting.
It puts to shame most of us that still struggle with the idea of "coming out" as a MIS to our family or friends. What courage he has.
Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OF-JCCU ... re=related

Go check this out. There are other clips about him there too.

Dennis A. Lederle
:D
Grok?
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Male mayor in skirts!

Post by sapphire »

Very cool!
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have decided to end my self-imposed exile.

There is more than the issue of Stu being considered transgendered. If that was the only issue he could be one of the unwashed masses going around wearing the usual pants that women wear.

I really feel that he cannot stand the dumbed-down fashions that have afflicted men and has spread like a virus to the female population. I feel the same way since there are plenty of times I wear dresses, hose, heels, and makeup. My wife has been also afflicted - she does not wear dresses, skirts, hose, nor heels.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Welcome back John!
I'm pleased your exile is over. :D
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I loved the mayor's remark of, "I've blackmail-proofed myself". I'll leave off the trans-gender bits, but the guy who wears his skirts publically in full view of everybody is doing the same thing in a way that the chap who only wears at home isn't -- nobody can blackmail him, or even threaten to, because everybody knows about his sartorial choices.

That looks like a nice little town, too!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I would argue that Stu Rasmussen is NOT transgendered - he was born a male and identifies himself as a male. He is a transvestite or crossdresser though. He had implants inserted but that is not too different from men having pec implants inserted.

Nobody can blackmail me either, since I do wear my dresses, skirts, and heels publicly.
Last edited by JohnH on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

CR Friend put it best:
"sartorial choices" is what we've all been talking about all the time.
Not transgender or CD/TV stuff.
Simply clothing choices we WANT to make but often feel to intimadated to make. And the Mayor made his choices and has proofed himself against black mail. But he is single and where it always gets complicated for most of us is when we are married. Now the Mayor has a relationship going back a few years, but she has known about him from the start.
But for a lot of us we kept a part of ourselves secret from our wives. It's when it's sprung on a wife that the strife starts. It's also why families get upset too. Moms and Dads, Brothers and Sisters, Grandma and Grandpas, Aunts and Uncles and cousins, when they are suddenly presented with the new image as a man admits his true sartorial desires.
But we also have a society that teaches men not to say too much and to hide from other people.
That's the real shame.
But at least one person has solved it and become a Mayor too!
WOW! OMG!
Ain't it great?

Dennis A. Lederle
:lol:
Grok?
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

To show one's clothing preferences openly means hopping off the stupid "Masculine Anxiety" bandwagon and be yourself! Stu is a guy who has the guts to call himself a male instead of turning himself into a female (he had breast augmentation but no hormone therapy).

It's interesting how each one of us has his own looks - some of us such as Carl (crfriend) likes his long skirts and vests, some of us are into kilts, and others like myself are into dresses and skirts.

Sometimes new clothing choices come about after one gets married - such as is my case. I did not hide my clothing preferences from my wife.

Let's see the vast :P choice of clothes available for men - shirt, pants, socks, shoes whose heels seldomly exceed a height of 2 cm. For formal attire, we have the boooooring coat and tie "bird breast" look. It's time we had more choices.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yes, it certainly is time we blokes had more choice! For me, I have not worn any pants anywhere for a few years now. Dunno about teetering on heels though. I always though they were to give the girls more height, and maybe enhance the leg shape. I'm really impressed with the people of that town. Obviously Stu has always been effective in politics. Looks bloody good too!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jack Williams wrote:[...]Dunno about teetering on heels though. I always though they were to give the girls more height, and maybe enhance the leg shape.
Both are the case. Certainly the heel adds height to the stature, but biomechanics also plays into it as the calf muscle becomes relatively more relaxed when wearing heels and expresses that by seeming a bit larger to the eye. I wore 2 1/2-inchers for a good many years when I was in my late teens and early 20s, and rather miss them; however, these were blocky heels not the stiletto-style that's so "fashionable" (and somewhat dangerous).
I'm really impressed with the people of that town. Obviously Stu has always been effective in politics. Looks bloody good too!
I certainly concur about the townfolk even though I cannot comment on Stu's performance as a mayor (re-election is usually a good gauge, though). However, I feel that his look seems awkward, mainly due his proportions; the amount of mass above the waist seems incongruous when paired with heels and short skirts. That said, if he likes it, and it doesn't detract from anything, then more power to him!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I find 2 1/2 inch block heels to be quite comfortable - certainly a lot more comfortable to my feet than dead flat shoes. Men's dress shoes do have enough of a heel to be comfortable to me.

There are any number of well endowed women that Carl might say look unbalanced with a short skirt and heels.

John
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Stu certainly looked good walking in that black dress though.
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

If he was without fake parts he would be my hero.But implants ruin the male cause in many ways.His fashion choices are cool though but minus the silicon.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

What I worry about is that some people have been upset with him because he was seen in front of children in a very short skirt and heels. You know the look I'm talking about. It was in a school and some people thought it wasn't right.
It's very hard to argue with the oppinion of parents. You are always wrong there.
But for the most part everything else he does looks okay.
I can understand his implants. An awful lot of men in the TV/CD groups have envy over that.
I think it would be better without them but it's his life to lead, after all.
That's my 2 cents worth!
Probably overpriced at that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

Dennis A. Lederle
Grok?
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I do think Stu should have worn something a bit more appropriate such as a skirt suit where the skirt is only slightly above the knees or a shirt dress with the same skirt length when he was in front of those kids. I don't care if he wore heels - that is his own personal choice.

That's his own privilege if he has implants. After all some other men get pec implants.

He serves as an example of a man who does not alter his manhood through hormones but still wants a feminine appearance. I have considered in the future I might want a little breast augmentation by stem cells from abdominal fat, which would not be as obvious as what Stu has. That is no more unnatural than to have breast reduction that a lot of men would want.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.