Trousers, Women have more....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Trousers, Women have more....

Post by crfriend »

And, even far, far away in the Colonies I also will state that the Forth Bridge in one of my landmark favourites. A beauty for its time, and a beauty it remains.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
LiuBang

Post by LiuBang »

True, women's trousers are more variegated than men's trousers. But women's skirts have much more variety than even women's trousers. Similarly, even tartan kilts come in many more different colors and lengths than men's dress pants. Skirts can simply be cut in so many more flattering ways than pants can.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

If you want variety, dresses trump the lot. There is a huge choice of styles and colours/designs. Just look at how many dresses are available on any retailer’s website in comparison to skirts.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Midas wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:17 am If you want variety, dresses trump the lot. There is a huge choice of styles and colours/designs. Just look at how many dresses are available on any retailer’s website in comparison to skirts.
Whenever I go looking around a women's clothing section, the thing I am met with is rows and rows of trousers. Evern when you think you have found a skirt, it turns out too be trousers with very full legs. I kind of get why you see so many women in trousers, there are very few skirts to be had. Dresses on the other hand you get a bit more, since they are a whole outfit in one type of garment.

I wonder who is leading the female trouser look. Is it the women or the manufacturers?
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Yes, Mouse. It's amazing how women have been taken up Trouser Tyranny so much. I wear dresses far more often than the great majority of women. When I go for walks at a nearby park I'm the only one wearing a dress. At church I wear dresses much more often than the women, but I notice more and more women wear dresses after my taking up the wearing of dresses

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mouse,
I have no doubt that demand is consumer/fashion led.
The retailers and manufacturers merely react and profit from that demand.
Dresses and skirts are a good example.
The demand for dresses rose in tandem with the one for feminine trousers. Skirts appear to have been the losers in this respect.
When one considers this objectively, the average female has double the wardrobe repertoire of a "normal " guy.
Only when the majority of men are willing to put their money and mouth in the same place, will this be even remotely likely to change.
Steve.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

STEVIE wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:29 am The demand for dresses rose in tandem with the one for feminine trousers. Skirts appear to have been the losers in this respect.
It would be interesting to know if it that were true for dresses. I have a feeling that demand for posh dresses like the demand for smart suits is probably a gently declining demand. Similar the summer dress has and still is a thing, similar to mens normal shorts.
STEVIE wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:29 am When one considers this objectively, the average female has double the wardrobe repertoire of a "normal " guy.
Only when the majority of men are willing to put their money and mouth in the same place, will this be even remotely likely to change.
I think the difference is that females like to wear different things day to day, whereas the majority of men wear what they wore the day before or something similar. I think that is changing with a lot of women becoming like men and wearing the same thing day to day.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

DrFishnets wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:42 pm The only problem is having the guts to wear what I want to wear in public without getting ridiculed. I have only gone out twice wearing a skirt without a long trench coat hiding it and so far so good but I feel that there will be setbacks from narrow minded idiots laughing at me or showing disgust.
As already said, it is hard going public initially but it does get easier the more you do it. Stand tall, shoulders back believe in yourself and be confident. However nervous you may feel do not show it. Own the situation and that will inspire others that you are you, the problem is their.

There will be the odd idiot around. Ignore, by all means reply when you have confidence and there is no doubt as they will deny what you say. I ignore 99.9% because they may look, they may appear to be talking but you do not know what. It could be positive, admiring a man as an individual, true to himself. Body language can confirm negativity and quite honestly in most situations it is best ignored, as most will not change and virtually all you will never see again and within the week you are forgotten about. From my experience, 99.9% get on with life and many interact with you. Compliments to me far out weigh the 0.1%.

Keep it up.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Interesting thread. For me, the more trousers, variety and styles women adopt it makes the discussion of men in skirts far more easier when the main observation raised are that what we wear are women's clothes. Are they? 99% of women dress very similar to the styles society still expects for men. All trousers are dull boring and restrictive. I appreciate the character, colour and personality of skirts even the other items women now drop in the masses to wear base ball caps, tee shirts, ties, socks etc. Of the 5 times I have been directly challenged it is only the skirt in question. Not the blouse, scarf, cardigan, camisole or as I often do have a lace hemmed slip on show as part of the outfit. It is only the skirt that is in their mind even the numerous general online comments about men in skirts - only the skirt. So great, let the trousers adoption in the many styles take place for women, it makes our case even easier. I appreciate, character, colour and the individuality skirts and the more traditional women's wear offers, even if women don't by abandoning these items for the more masculine approach.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

STEVIE wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:29 am Mouse,
When one considers this objectively, the average female has double the wardrobe repertoire of a "normal " guy.
Steve.
When my wife was alive I had more clothes than she did.
Since her size and clothes styling were not what I needed or wanted I donated them.
Since then I have been filling up that closet with my dresses.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JohnH wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:24 pm Since then I have been filling up that closet with my dresses.
John, with the best will in the world there is no guy around here who fits the "majority" category.
Overall, men in skirts are almost insignificant in economic terms and that needs to change before we will move forward.
Steve.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:21 pm
JohnH wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:24 pm Since then I have been filling up that closet with my dresses.
John, with the best will in the world there is no guy around here who fits the "majority" category.
Overall, men in skirts are almost insignificant in economic terms and that needs to change before we will move forward.
Steve.
I think a number of us are just getting on with it and making our own route forward. The "majority" has been made to allow a whole mass of folks equality, rights and space to be themselves and so has given MIS, certainly in the UK, the same equality, rights and space to be ourselves. We are getting on with it and making hay while the sun is shining. So, Me and a few others, are already having fun doing as we please.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

TheSkirtedMan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:41 pm ..... Of the 5 times I have been directly challenged it is only the skirt in question. Not the blouse, scarf, cardigan, camisole or as I often do have a lace hemmed slip on show as part of the outfit. It is only the skirt that is in their mind even the numerous general online comments about men in skirts - only the skirt. ......
I had an off hand comment about me not waring a skirt to a weekend dinner gathering.
Apparently a of Paper Bag Shorts, camisole, and a womens dress jacket.

Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

phathack wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:44 am I had an off hand comment about me not waring a skirt to a weekend dinner gathering.
Apparently a of Paper Bag Shorts, camisole, and a womens dress jacket.
Well they had a point with the shorts, next you will be turning up in trousers.🤠
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

JohnH wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:29 pm ...... At church I wear dresses much more often than the women, but I notice more and more women wear dresses after my taking up the wearing of dresses

John
I have heard several of you say that over the years.
I've often wondered why their motivation is for donning skirts after seeing a MIS.

Is it ? if he can do it I can do it too.

Or is it? oh oh men are going to take our territory, I got to push back.

Or something more subconscious??

Women have more clothing options in general. Not just trousers but everything. The selection overwhelming the men's department.

Trousers, shorts, socks, shirts, underwear.

Pick a fabric, pick a color, pick a cut. And pull the hand on the slot machine. Every combo is a winner.

Skirts do seem to be facing extinction.
I don't go out shopping much. Meijer, Walmart, Costco, target. The last few years I've only seen a handful of skirts among the sea of trousers and leggings.

Costco has only been selling skorts and a dress or two. Last year and do far this year.

The good will store I shop at used to have a 25 foot rack, both sides of skirts. It's now down to around 12 foot on one side. All of the former area is filled with trousers.

Skirts are on the cusp of extinction.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.