Boys Ban From Wearing Jeans by School

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Boys Ban From Wearing Jeans by School

Post by mr seamstress »

As we try to get the right to wear whatever we want today, there was a time when jeans was prohibited even for boys from wearing them.

https://www.levistrauss.com/2018/09/12/ ... classroom/

Some history of dress code.

https://www.sidwell.edu/about/news/news ... dress-code
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boys Ban From Wearing Jeans by School

Post by STEVIE »

I would never have been allowed to wear jeans at school, but girls had to wear skirts.
We would have been sent home to change and there would have been punishment, corporal for boys and academic for girls.
Steve.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

STEVIE wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:39 pm I would never have been allowed to wear jeans at school, but girls had to wear skirts.
We would have been sent home to change and there would have been punishment, corporal for boys and academic for girls.
Steve.
When I went to school all I had to wear was jeans. Other pants was unfordable. Because all of this I ended up in being bulled for not wearing more expensive style pants. Passing school dress code is one thing, but also have to pass dress code of given style each year of others.
Steve even though you wasn't allowed to wear jeans, I wonder if your peers would have bulled you if you could, because of current style at that time?

It is unimaginable how a make believe movie school uses to create dress codes. But in the 50's we had this movie showing boys wearing jeans being gang members. Jeans became a symbol of being part of gangs.
In 1960 jeans became a political symbol.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... roline%20A.

There was a time when jeans was a symbol of being poor.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mr S,
We mentioned eye glasses/spectacles in another thread, I got my share of bullying for that.
Had jeans been the accepted wear for school and I wore trousers, that also would have made me a target.
The consequences of wearing a skirt, worse, very very bad!
Kids, especially boys are pack animals, they instinctively dislike and distrust other or different.
That form of bullying is ensuring compliance by force.
Sadly it still happens today.
Steve.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

STEVIE wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:55 am Mr S,
We mentioned eye glasses/spectacles in another thread, I got my share of bullying for that.
Had jeans been the accepted wear for school and I wore trousers, that also would have made me a target.
The consequences of wearing a skirt, worse, very very bad!
Kids, especially boys are pack animals, they instinctively dislike and distrust other or different.
That form of bullying is ensuring compliance by force.
Sadly it still happens today.
Steve.
It is unfortunately that you got bulled here on skirtcafe. This forum as you know is suppose to be in part in supporting one another. We all should refrain in bulling each other.
if anyone here doesn't like about me posting threads about eyewear can kiss my rear end. Here is a link to story of child who committed suicide.

https://www.newser.com/story/350476/par ... mself.html

I too wear glasses since youth. Been made fun of wearing coke bottle glasses in reference of thick lenses.

I see these dress codes is more in line to bulled the students. Too many students gets the idea that they can make a fellow student to do their bidding. They believe they to can bully fellow students as the school bullies them over who can wear what and what length. These dress codes is bulling when they are over restricting the students. In the 50's boys was restricted form wearing blue jeans over because of stupid movie.

When the school did let boys to wear blue jeans the dress codes stipulated that the jeans cannot have rip or tears in them. This dress code all it did was to punish a poor boy who had poor parents. I call this bulling. Especially when these dress codes can expel a student over what he/she has available to wear.

There is to much bulling that goes on in schools. Children learn from parents and school officials about how it is okay to bully. Children pick up it is okay to bully from these dress codes considering how they work.

Today adults will taunt one another over what they wear when it is none of their business. They taunt what is appropriate for individual age or what style of clothing we should be wearing. Adults will taunt one another over stupid things and children picks it up they to can taunt one another just like adults.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

As mr seamstress said, we all need to support eac. Like it or not we are outliers in society. It doesn’t matter if you are CIS, GNC, straight, gay, Bi, or even if you believe that you are a hippopotamus. We all love skirts and that brings us here and binds us together. We should show love and respect for each other regardless of our agenda for wearing skirts.

Jamie
Fashion Freedom for Men!!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mr S,
Sorry, you misunderstand me.
I was bullied at school for wearing glasses, not here at the cafe.
I would never say that I enjoyed my schooldays.
A dress code that includes jeans, I really see how that creates more problems than it will ever solve.
Steve.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I don’t recall anyone being bullied for wearing glasses during my school career, which ended when I was 18, in 1973. Maybe that was a Scottish thing? Until I was about 16 I did have a lot of fights, but that was more a consequence of being at an all male grammar school and not being prepared to take any **** from anyone, however big they were.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Midas wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:26 am I don’t recall anyone being bullied for wearing glasses during my school career, which ended when I was 18, in 1973. Maybe that was a Scottish thing? Until I was about 16 I did have a lot of fights, but that was more a consequence of being at an all male grammar school and not being prepared to take any **** from anyone, however big they were.
Did you not ever use the "four eyes" put down? To be fair, once you got over the first week and there was some other kid to tease over something, things settled down. I grew up in the English Midlands.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

mr seamstress wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:46 pm There was a time when jeans was a symbol of being poor.

Indeed. Karl Marx commissioned Henri Toulouse-Lautrec to paint a picture of working class people, to show the rich how the poor lived. He was used to painting dancers and theatre-goers in their best togs. So he was rather disappointed to see his models in their dirty old clothes. "Karl, can't you tell them to smarten themselves up a bit?" "Sorry, no. They have nothing, Toulouse, but their jeans."

I'll get my coat.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

Here in 21st century there are still protest over pants. In India there was a protest over ripped jeans. in India women moral values comes in question from wearing ripped jeans that only exposes women's kneecaps.

https://theconversation.com/how-women-i ... ans-157666

Students protest dress code that prohibit them from wearing pajama pants. School claims wearing pajama pants is more distracting than blue jeans. These old excuses that once used against women from wearing blue jeans is now used against them from wearing pajama pants.

https://kansasreflector.com/2021/09/21/ ... ress-code/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPGcBHJ_mOA

Even young Chinese workers is getting on the craze of wearing pajama pants to work.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/24/busi ... -work.html

These outdated dress codes need to expire for good.