Theory: Men Hate Fashion/Dressing Up Because We Can't Wear Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
LiuBang

Theory: Men Hate Fashion/Dressing Up Because We Can't Wear Skirts

Post by LiuBang »

At least that's my experience. I actually don't hate fashion per se. I find skirts, dresses, leggings, and (low heel) knee length boots interesting (but cosmetics just look awful). I find men's fashion boring. Saying "there's variety in men's fashion too, try out this sailboat print button up shirt or these preppy pink shorts and loafers etc" is just BS. Those items fundamentally feel like and have the same silhouette as any other pair of shorts or shirts, except they cost far more. I'm frugal so I'd much rather get a pair of boring old cargo shorts and T shirts from Walmart.

The boredom of pants is to the variety of skirts as the blandness of water is to the variety of wine. Asking why men aren't interested in pants the same way women are interested in skirts is like saying "why are there so few water sommeliers compared to wine tasters? There's so much variety in water! You've got sparkling water, fluoridated water, unfluoridated water, Spring Water, Fiji water!" Yeah right. It's all bland. Evian doesn't taste fundamentally different from bottled water from Costco, so I'll buy Costco bottled water and save money than splurge on Evian.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Theory: Men Hate Fashion/Dressing Up Because We Can't Wear Skirts

Post by Ray »

Not sure I agree. You’re placing budget constraints on clothing then complaining that there’s little choice. At least that’s what I read.

There can be a good choice in mens’ clothing. I have red, orange, pink trousers, ranging from tight to baggy through corduroy. My shirts can be flowery, pink, check, plain. I admit that none of these are that cheap - but not are they crushingly expensive.

That said, both are variations on a plain theme. I want to wear skirts because they are comfortable and look good. I do agree that there is too little fashion choice (garment type and material type) for men.

Not sure I agree your analogy on water. Badoit sparking water is very different to San Pellegrino - but yes, most water tastes very similar. This is like comparing 20 brands of drainpipe jeans.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I think you have to look at women have done with trousers. Just look at the range of trousers women have compared with men.

So we have to ask the question why is this so?

Is it because manufacturers have tried more interesting designs for men and been unable to sell them, so now only make boring things since they sell?

Or is it some other reason?
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

The reason that men won’t buy new designs and try new clothing is because they are afraid to deviate from the herd. They believe that if you deviate from the confines of the Man-Box, you will be seen is a homosexual. Therein lies the problem.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:03 pmThey believe that if you deviate from the confines of the Man-Box, you will be seen is a homosexual. Therein lies the problem.
No. The slur will be applied by others trying to keep you in the box. This is a primary reason I want to see the skirt "de-gendered" so it becomes fodder men and women alike.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

jamie001 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:03 pm They believe that if you deviate from the confines of the Man-Box, you will be seen is a homosexual. Therein lies the problem.
I don’t think being “seen as a homosexual” is that big of a deterrent these days. There are so many cool gay men that are totally accepted that it seem totally fine to be compared to them.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

jamie001 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:03 pm They believe that if you deviate from the confines of the Man-Box, you will be seen is a homosexual.
Straight men don't want others to believe they are homosexual.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

Mouse wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:02 pm
jamie001 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:03 pm They believe that if you deviate from the confines of the Man-Box, you will be seen is a homosexual. Therein lies the problem.
I don’t think being “seen as a homosexual” is that big of a deterrent these days. There are so many cool gay men that are totally accepted that it seem totally fine to be compared to them.
Doesn't change the fact that plenty of gay men would gladly stigmatize feminine men — which would include us, since being homosexual doesn't exclude you from being as much as a judgmental asshole as a heterosexual person. Many gay men would have no qualms considering us as "unmanly" because of our male skirt advocacy, so this is our own battle. Also, homosexuality being more socially accepted in recent years doesn't wipe away the fact that it's irritating for people to go off to the races assuming who you're attracted to based on superficial details, like how you dress yourself. It's dumb morons going off on Camp Gay stereotypes thrown at men who AREN'T gay, and it's honestly just offensive, because gay men aren't generally interested in feminine men, and typically AREN'T feminine themselves.
Last edited by TSH on Wed May 22, 2024 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Stu wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:42 pm
jamie001 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:03 pm They believe that if you deviate from the confines of the Man-Box, you will be seen is a homosexual.
Straight menAlpha Males don't want others to believe they are homosexual.
FTFY :) those with low self esteem, who follow outmoded macho behaviour will say things to put others down and to make themselves look good. Although women may love the idea of a man in a kilt as it's seen as manly and daring, they may feel a skirted man may be more concerned with his wardrobe and may be more delicate, and not able to defend or look out for her. Not that these things bother us.

But although I have an organized wardrobe for skirts, bags, underwear, hosiery, shoes etc, I know what to wear and when, but your average Joe is hardly going to find the time to find a decent skirt and things to match a shirt for work, before grabbing his car keys, lip gloss before dashing off to work :lol:

Also some may find them restrictive to walk and sit in, as men have spent most of their lives manspreading in trousers and shorts...

I think if the catwalks made more decent skirted items for men that didn't look so over the top, who knows, things might change.

On Reddit, there's a bus driver in Brighton who looks very smart in his jacket and navy pencil skirt 8) and skirts often appear on some guys in the summer after a run of hot days and always makes it into the tabloids :roll:

Bus driver in Brighton on 49 route
new-arrival-here-skirt-wearer-for-years-even-at-work-v0-dwwyusmorq1d1.jpeg
He looks great as well :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A life lived in fear is a life half lived ☆☆☆
LiuBang

Post by LiuBang »

new2skirts wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:09 pm I think if the catwalks made more decent skirted items for men that didn't look so over the top, who knows, things might change.
THIS. We need men's skirts that are unisex, that are similar to women's skirts in style, except the men's version is tailored for male dimensions, and marketed as such, and sold in the menswear department. Just like how men's dress pants and women's dress pants really aren't all that different except women's dress pants might be a tad more fitted.

Menswear designers need to take cues from traditional men's skirts like kilts and the Fiji Sulu. Both are timeless and simple. Neither try to be over-the-top masculine like utilikilts. A kilt pretty much looks like a woman's A-line plaid pleated knee-length skirt, and a sulu looks like a midi straight skirt, EXCEPT both are subtly tailored for a man's lower half. As they should be.
Seb
Distinguished Member

Post by Seb »

I think men hate fashion because we are taught to hate it, just like we are taught to like cars, sports and weapons. If parents or half as much value in teaching their boys how to dress and match as they do girls, most men would be as interested as women. My wife and daughter have lots of rules for how to dress that I don't understand, and quite a few more they I do understand. What goes with what and what does not.

That ofc leads to decrease in demand for any clothing items that stand out for men, we are taught that the shorts and tee on the top of the pile is just as good as the one under it, and as they all are in the same drab colour palette they usually match so we never needed to learn that skill as kids.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Seb wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:38 am That ofc leads to decrease in demand for any clothing items that stand out for men, we are taught that the shorts and tee on the top of the pile is just as good as the one under it, and as they all are in the same drab colour palette they usually match so we never needed to learn that skill as kids.
I think younger guys like my son have more interest in clothes, certainly while they are dating.
LiuBang

Post by LiuBang »

Mouse wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:56 pm I think you have to look at women have done with trousers. Just look at the range of trousers women have compared with men.

So we have to ask the question why is this so?

Is it because manufacturers have tried more interesting designs for men and been unable to sell them, so now only make boring things since they sell?

Or is it some other reason?
Even with women's trousers there's less variety than there is with women's skirts. Skirts simply can be cut and patterened in far more different attractive ways than pants can.
LiuBang

Post by LiuBang »

Ray wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:16 pm Not sure I agree. You’re placing budget constraints on clothing then complaining that there’s little choice. At least that’s what I read.
Sure, but even if I was given a ton of money to spend on clothing--I'd still spend it on the average Joe's T-shirts, polo shirts, and pants.
Ray wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:16 pm There can be a good choice in mens’ clothing. I have red, orange, pink trousers, ranging from tight to baggy through corduroy. My shirts can be flowery, pink, check, plain. I admit that none of these are that cheap - but not are they crushingly expensive.
I guess, but prepster really isn't my personality. My personality is boyish geek. And fundamentally, a pair of baggy sweatpants or dress pants isn't that different in feel and silhouette than a pair of skinny jeans.

My point remains--the difference betweeen looser dress pants and skinny jeans is very subtle compared to the difference between either type of pants and a skirt. A skirt is a complete sea change from pants in a way that more variations on pants isn't. I don't hate pants but I'm so bored and underwhelmed by how marginal the change between different types of pants are that I just don't want to shop for pants (unless I absolutely have to because I gained 15 lbs.) If they started selling skirts in the menswear section tomorrow I'd be there in a heartbeat.
LiuBang

Post by LiuBang »

Mouse wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:56 am
Seb wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:38 am That ofc leads to decrease in demand for any clothing items that stand out for men, we are taught that the shorts and tee on the top of the pile is just as good as the one under it, and as they all are in the same drab colour palette they usually match so we never needed to learn that skill as kids.
I think younger guys like my son have more interest in clothes, certainly while they are dating.
I'm a 28 year old straight guy. I find women's clothes much more interesting than men's clothes. Womens' outfits just catch my eye while I don't even pay attention to what other guys are wearing (unless they're wearing a skirt, in which case I absolutely will pay attention).

I've never dated, but if I did I'd probably dress up casually. Women care much less about a man's looks than vice versa. I'd rather be on a date with a girl who dresses up just like me so I don't feel any pressure to dress up. Besides, as good as a woman in an A-line, knee length skirt looks, I am a sucker for geeky tomboys. I don't think makeup looks good on anyone, not even women. I had a mad crush for my classmate in Differential Equations. She did have long hair (and a clearly feminine physique), but I never saw her with any cosmetics, and she always wore unisex T-shirts, hoodies, and pants. And yes, she was straight. I felt comfortable around her precisely because she dressed up like me, made her feel relatable.