Why a drab monochrome world?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Why a drab monochrome world?

Post by Mouse »

So take a look at the colour of the cars passing on an average UK street or motor way. What colours are you seeing? Black, White, silver, grey, may be silver with a hint of black......Where have all the colours gone?

One reason is resale value, a non colour car offends nobody so is easier to sell. Are we humans that boring? Henry Ford famously stated about his model T “Any colour the customer wants, as long as it's black.” This was to reduce cost. Tesla is the same with the colour white, for similar reasons.

The interior of houses I work in across London are all the same palate of cream, off-white, brown, fawn, beige, mist, elephant breath...... Why have we all got so boring? Where has the colour in our lives gone?

Interesting, most of the interior designers I work with are female, so it is a human drabness, not just us men.

I for one, intend to make a new working skirt with more colour. Not sure what I am going to do with my black car......
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why a drab monochrome world?

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

My previous car was grey. When we were buying it, I said "any colour except grey", but that was the one with the suitable spec that they had ready to go.

Now I mainly drive a bright green one. I didn't choose the colour - I bought it from my Mum - but it's very handy when you're looking for it in the car park.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:24 pm So take a look at the colour of the cars passing on an average UK street or motor way. What colours are you seeing? Black, White, silver, grey, may be silver with a hint of black......Where have all the colours gone?
---------------SNIPPY------------
I for one, intend to make a new working skirt with more colour. Not sure what I am going to do with my black car......
Have it painted purple with orange polka dots. :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hide:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:02 pm Have it painted purple with orange polka dots. :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hide:
Close!!!....I made a kilt in lockdown that is purple with yellow in the inner folds of each pleat. This is me wearing it in Cambridge on my way to get a COVID jab in summer 2021. I will try for orange next time.
Mouse at Play
Location - Grafton Shopping Centre, Cambridge, UK, June 2021
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
yardstick

Post by yardstick »

Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:24 pm So take a look at the colour of the cars passing on an average UK street or motor way. What colours are you seeing? Black, White, silver, grey, may be silver with a hint of black......Where have all the colours gone?

Why have we all got so boring? Where has the colour in our lives gone?
It seems nobody wants to stand out from the crowd anymore, they all want to just blend in and not be noticed. This seems to extend to everything making for a very mundane world.
Around the time the Harry Potter films came out I drove a Ford Anglia as my daily transport, which as you can guess attracted the attention of every young child wherever I went (still does to an extent). I gave some colleagues a lift occasionally and whilst some were amazed at the attention received, others wanted to hide and felt very uncomfortable waving to strangers. Personally I have always felt that a smile and a cheery wave in the right place makes peoples day.
The lack of colour everywhere makes for a very depressing outlook, maybe its time for us all to put some colour back in our lives, it might make the world a happier place.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

yardstick wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:16 pmThe lack of colour everywhere makes for a very depressing outlook, maybe its time for us all to put some colour back in our lives, it might make the world a happier place.
By the gods, YES! Please bring back colour and style to the world.

The Belle Epoch may be long gone, but the occasional memory is something to be cherished!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

yardstick wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:16 pm
The lack of colour everywhere makes for a very depressing outlook, maybe its time for us all to put some colour back in our lives, it might make the world a happier place.
One place to start-bright, vivid skirts :!:
Seb
Distinguished Member

Post by Seb »

I've had three drab cars and three colorful ones, a purple bmw, a red audi, black merc, white volvo then a black Hyundai and finally my current blue metallic Hyundai.
I was never bothered by what colour it had, as long as it worked and was cheap and did what I needed it to do. But then again that went with my clothes too.
This last one I have had for 5 years now and I have come to like the blue color of it and its given the choice the next car will also be colorful.

As for clothes, I'm still working on it. I don't really like the extra attention.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom