Mississipi School Discriminate Transgender Girl

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Mississipi School Discriminate Transgender Girl

Post by mr seamstress »

Discrimination is very well still alive in American schools. Transgender girl is being told she has to wear boy clothes.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tra ... -110323298
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mississipi School Discriminate Transgender Girl

Post by Mouse »

mr seamstress wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:16 am Discrimination is very well still alive in American schools. Transgender girl is being told she has to wear boy clothes.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tra ... -110323298
The most telling bit of the piece is this
The district rule that students’ clothing must match their sex assigned at birth was added to the dress code policy relatively recently, in July 2023.
The land of the free is becoming less free as the years pass and the US population doesn't seem to notice or care anymore about being free. IMHO viewed from this side of the pond.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse, you are closer to this than me but UK schools are taking a harsher line?
Eg
"ensure children aren’t being taught about sensitive and complex subjects before they are ready to fully understand them. "
And
"We are also making clear that the concept of gender identity – the sense a person may have of their own gender, whether male, female or a number of other categories – is highly contested and should not be taught."
And
"The facts about biological sex and gender reassignment will still be taught. "

https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/2024/0 ... n-schools/
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:13 am Mouse, you are closer to this than me but UK schools are taking a harsher line?
The press talked about banning things as the press is apt to do. However the way I read it, it is a calibrated plan to teach children the various facts of life when they are old enough to take the information in. Obviously, all children are different and there is a discussion to be had about what you teach to each age group.

The thing I worry about, is the parental block which is still allowed. I think every human being, especially females, should be given the basic knowledge of how their own body works, irrespective of what their parents religion/culture/belief is. IMHO
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

The restriction on education bothers me for the same reason as the old Section 28 rule about not promoting homosexuality. It's all very well preventing teachers from presenting kids with facts about other people that they do not yet need to know, but teachers need to be free to answer questions or tackle issues when they arise. It's all very well keeping your straight cis kids safe from things they don't need to know, but what about the gay kids, or the trans kids, or the kids who are wrestling with a range of other problems of their own. Teachers have to be the safe adults that they can talk to.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:29 amThe land of the free is becoming less free as the years pass and the US population doesn't seem to notice or care anymore about being free. IMHO viewed from this side of the pond.
It's widely viewed in the same way on this side of the pond, too. There's just no recourse to it as the election system is terminally broken and voting doesn't mean anything any longer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Unfortunately this is not surprising at all. It is the Southeastern United States. It is known for being the home of Bible thumping conservatives that live the hunter-gatherer mindset on a daily basis. It is sometimes referred to as “ Hillbilly Country” and therefore it is not unbelievable that in 2023 the school dress code was amended to state that clothing choices must be aligned with the biological sex of the student. I hope the ACLU has a field day with this. These Hillbillies need to be taught a lesson.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:51 am The press talked about banning things as the press is apt to do. However the way I read it, it is a calibrated plan to teach children the various facts of life when they are old enough to take the information in. Obviously, all children are different and there is a discussion to be had about what you teach to each age group.
Sure, but the rub is: who decides what's appropriate? If it's the government or the parents, it's a problem. If it's the teachers in the schools, then fine. They're surrounded by children all day, they know the questions that get asked and how to answer them in an age appropriate way, it's their JOB! Let them do their job like they've been doing for decades and all will be fine. It's not like transgenders are a new thing.

When the minister was asked for specific examples they couldn't give any. Because it's a ******** rule designed to allow the government to muzzle school teachers.

We're now in the situation where the teacher has to say: Sorry Johnny, that's a good question but if I give you an answer I might get fired.
Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:51 am The thing I worry about, is the parental block which is still allowed. I think every human being, especially females, should be given the basic knowledge of how their own body works, irrespective of what their parents religion/culture/belief is. IMHO
Wholeheartedly agree!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:51 am
Barleymower wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:13 am Mouse, you are closer to this than me but UK schools are taking a harsher line?
The press talked about banning things as the press is apt to do. However the way I read it, it is a calibrated plan to teach children the various facts of life when they are old enough to take the information in. Obviously, all children are different and there is a discussion to be had about what you teach to each age group.

The thing I worry about, is the parental block which is still allowed. I think every human being, especially females, should be given the basic knowledge of how their own body works, irrespective of what their parents religion/culture/belief is. IMHO
Mouse I see you logic but I'm not in agreement.

Kids with problems know early on, this doesn't all start happening at 16, or whatever age people think kids should be able to handle it.
These things are born into a person and we the adults need to be able to deal with their questions as soon as they arise.
I know the whole pronouns thing is a pain in the bum but letting them explore who they are from an early age allows them space to develop. Again we, the adults need to guide them through these times so the come out the other side, whole and untroubled with who they are.
Nothing needs to be forced on anyone, mostly it's about listening and in some respects 'playing along'. Kids change their mind often so we should just accept what they are saying and not make big deal out of it.
Puberty blockers? Im not a medical expert but if it gave them some breathing space with no long lasting damage?
Parental block? If parents were like me and perhaps you then being included in the decision would be my preference.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:21 pm Kids with problems know early on, this doesn't all start happening at 16, or whatever age people think kids should be able to handle it.
From what I have read, Various subjects are being taught from 9 onwards, linking into reproduction taught in the science curriculum.
Barleymower wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:21 pm These things are born into a person and we the adults need to be able to deal with their questions as soon as they arise.
There is provision for pupil's questions to be answered when asked in lower years.
Barleymower wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:21 pm I know the whole pronouns thing is a pain in the bum but letting them explore who they are from an early age allows them space to develop. Again we, the adults need to guide them through these times so the come out the other side, whole and untroubled with who they are.
Nothing needs to be forced on anyone, mostly it's about listening and in some respects 'playing along'. Kids change their mind often so we should just accept what they are saying and not make big deal out of it.
I can only say what I see from the primary school that I am a governor for. The aim is "every child matters". The level of support that every child gets and how hard the school works to make sure all pupils achieve the best outcome from entering the school to leaving is quite impressive. Also the school is dealing with new pupils entering and leaving the roll as the local hotel population of asylum seekers changes from month to month.
Barleymower wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:21 pm Puberty blockers? Im not a medical expert but if it gave them some breathing space with no long lasting damage?
I am not medical either, but the idea of upsetting natural development is a big step to take. I think we all have a role here to show children who are not happy with their position in life, that they have various options, one of which is MIS. There are many others such as gay etc, without going down the medical route. Children need time and space to workout where they really fit into their life and the world. My own daughter went through many phases from full princess to male clothes. At each stage your job as a parent, is to give choices and support. Obviously the medical route is right for some, but it is a life commitment and not an easy path.
Barleymower wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:21 pm Parental block? If parents were like me and perhaps you then being included in the decision would be my preference.
I agree that in a perfect world, parents should be in the loop. However where you get parents who think their daughter should not know how her own body works, until she is married or not ever. IMHO the state needs to step in and give basic human knowledge to all young people. In the UK this is not done and some people live their whole lives in ignorance or misinformation.

These are my own thoughts and I speak only for me.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:56 pm
I agree that in a perfect world, parents should be in the loop. However where you get parents who think their daughter should not know how her own body works, until she is married or not ever. IMHO the state needs to step in and give basic human knowledge to all young people. In the UK this is not done and some people live their whole lives in ignorance or misinformation.

These are my own thoughts and I speak only for me.
I dont know what decade you think american schools are stuck in, but in 2024 these kids are being taught **** a lot of adults have never heard of.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

timemeddler wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:44 pm
Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:56 pm I agree that in a perfect world, parents should be in the loop. However where you get parents who think their daughter should not know how her own body works, until she is married or not ever. IMHO the state needs to step in and give basic human knowledge to all young people. In the UK this is not done and some people live their whole lives in ignorance or misinformation.
I dont know what decade you think american schools are stuck in, but in 2024 these kids are being taught **** a lot of adults have never heard of.
I have absolutely no idea about American schools. I live in the UK and govern a UK school which I was writing about....in response to a UK government guideline raised by BM in his post.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Sorry mr seamstress, we brits have taken this thread down an ally and across the pond. We should be discussing this poor girl who is having a torrid time at this school. I found this link which gives more background to the story including telling her off for using either gendered bathrooms.
https://www.aol.com/ms-coast-school-dis ... 47144.html
Reading this just shows a disconnect between generations. Her fellow students were accepting of her while the staff and school board are just nasty according to the report.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

Mouse wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:17 pm Sorry mr seamstress, we brits have taken this thread down an ally and across the pond. We should be discussing this poor girl who is having a torrid time at this school. I found this link which gives more background to the story including telling her off for using either gendered bathrooms.
https://www.aol.com/ms-coast-school-dis ... 47144.html
Reading this just shows a disconnect between generations. Her fellow students were accepting of her while the staff and school board are just nasty according to the report.
Mouse you don't owe me an apology. As far the bathroom situation it was in the beginning of the 19 century it was determine that there should be a female and a male bathroom for equality. I found this info while back on the internet. In the 17th and the 18th century there was no gender bathrooms like today.
Here in America we have all this book banning going on and restriction what can be taught. This makes many school district aren't given the children the education they need.
Every American president wore a dress as an infant and a diaper just like the vice president. This doesn't get taught in school. A large portion of America is unaware of this American culture. As I engage with other people on streets many get shock when I tell them a dress was my first clothing that hit my body, not pants. Today parents clothes children the same way regardless of their sex, but won't admit to that fact. Finding parents dressing infants with one piece jumpsuit, is something most males doesn't ware. The average male see the jumpsuit nothing but female clothing.

I just wish everyone would come together and send a letter in protest this abuse.

AS far as I know my ancestors is from Ireland.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Mouse wrote:<snip> However where you get parents who think their daughter should not
know how her own body works, until she is married or not ever. <snip>
I'ld say this statement is true of over-protective parents.

What is amiss is, WHY is it only daughters :?:
Shouldn't sons be taught how their bodies work too :?:

Education is a must for all children, serving both female AND MALE students.
Both boys and girls need to learn how to cope with life, and what the results
of their choices have on their lives. The level of 'education' is dependent on
the age group of the children. 5 - 7 year old's don't need to know about 'the birds
and the bees' but need to know how to stay safe, away from dangerous stuff.

Puberty comes at different ages for different people. Some reach puberty when
they're around 12-14 years old. Others may reach puberty earlier or later,
depending on their ancestral history. There's no set 'time' when puberty is reached.

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)