Dua Lipa’s SNL performance featuring skirted male dancers

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dua Lipa’s SNL performance featuring skirted male dancers

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

crfriend wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:47 pm Who, for instance, is paying attention to male-specific cancers? Who is paying attention to the epidemic of male suicide? Who is paying attention to the problem of male depression (which links strongly into suicide)? NOBODY.
Well, I don't know about the US (which I regard as to some extent a broken society), but these issues are now definitely being addressed in the UK. There are people working to keep "Movember" visible to promote men's health, and the King's recent cancer diagnosis, although not specified, has raised the profile of prostate health and male cancer. People have been talking about the problems of male educational under-achievement, lack of socialization, depression, and suicide for a while, and the BBC is currently running a radio series which aims to move from talking about boys to actually listening to boys, and their difficulty in identifying male role models and defining masculinity now.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

crfriend wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:47 pm
TSH wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:16 pmOver the 60+ years of his life, Carl has been through a lot, much of it involving his advocacy for male fashion freedom. You need to see things from his perspective to understand why his tone is the way it is.
Indeed, I do not view the world through the same lenses as one who is immersed in it. I endeavour to take several steps back and look at problem areas and what might be done about them. This tactic has also served me in very good stead in my career in computing -- especially when I was working primarily with hardware. It's applicable to vastly more than sociology.

Thus, I am relatively immune to noise like current pop songs, videos, and the like. I'm after deep answers, not superficial salves to slap on a wound. This is the basis for my decades-spanning view, and why I do not put particular importance on "flash-in-the-pan" events. This problem has been with us for decades, and will be with us for decades more (perhaps long after we're all dead) because there has been no attention paid to the driving issues -- the redefinition of "masculinity" into "machismo", the complete marginalisation of men, the marginalisation of men's role in society, and the general disdain for men's rights as human beings. It's as if we don't exist any longer -- and yet we still comprise fully 1/2 of the population (as a whole in spite of our shorter lives than women).

Who, for instance, is paying attention to male-specific cancers? Who is paying attention to the epidemic of male suicide? Who is paying attention to the problem of male depression (which links strongly into suicide)? NOBODY. We're regarded as disposable -- and that's the first aspect that needs to be corrected before we can even hope for anything on the "fashion front".

It's a deep dark hole we need to crawl out of, and pabulum like music videos and the like are not going to have one lick of effect on the low-level drivers.

One cannot identify the cause of a problem if one is stuck in the middle of it. One needs to pull away a bit to start to differentiate the forest from the trees.
There is this song Blue Moon that was used in movies and shows when first created but didn't initially become a hit. It was a decade later before it became a hit after the lyrics and music was tweaked by another band in 1949. In 1961 the lyrics and music was revise again and became a hit again. There have been over 60 groups tweak this song with different ideas.

Different things was done in the past and now some of these things could be brought back up and tweak them so they can work. Yes these old ideals failed but you have fresh new people here that can tweak them and try again.

I would like to see a teenage girl imitate Dua Lipa with boys dancing in the back ground and challenge other teenage girls if they can do better by having more boys dancing in skirts. Today we have all of these teenage challenges on Tik Tok. What I am suggesting that we have this one for starters in getting males accepting skirts. We could bride a teenage girl in creating this video and inform her she could at least has the possibilities of being hired to perform for birthday parties with boys dancing in skirts.
If this projects fails we always keep trying changing things around until we find that right combination. We need to put things together even it is a long shot. That is better than throwing are hands in the air and doing nothing.

Dua Lipa got men in skirts because they were paid and we can get boys in skirts in this video if they know they can be paid for entertainment for birthday parties. That payment can be greater than fiscal labour. This will be an advantage for few boys if this becomes possible.

Does anyone else has an idea?
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

mr seamstress wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:55 pmWe could bride a teenage girl in creating this video and inform her she could at least has the possibilities of being hired to perform for birthday parties with boys dancing in skirts.
Gnééé? What I understand from this phrase: you want people to hire a girl, and this girl will be the male dancer.

Except that, I think I get your point. Correct me if I am wrong.
The idea is to try hiring men to play as male dancers in skirt in "playful" events, like concert, party, birthday, etc. Eventually, by paying them, to increase chances to get them. That may help to make the concept of "man in skirt" more visible. The main burden with this, is that it is limited to people in position to influence decision making for such events. But I believe a few people on this board may be in that position, at least one or two times in their lifetime.
Eventually, I would suggest - if anyone jumps in that idea - to look around dance schools. First, boys in dance school dance better than average boys (wooow, such a revelation :lol:), in second, they may feel proud to get the chance to show how good they dance, and third if they get paid for it... !
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

Spirou003 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:24 pm

Except that, I think I get your point. Correct me if I am wrong.
The idea is to try hiring men to play as male dancers in skirt in "playful" events, like concert, party, birthday, etc. Eventually, by paying them, to increase chances to get them. That may help to make the concept of "man in skirt" more visible. The main burden with this, is that it is limited to people in position to influence decision making for such events. But I believe a few people on this board may be in that position, at least one or two times in their lifetime.
Eventually, I would suggest - if anyone jumps in that idea - to look around dance schools. First, boys in dance school dance better than average boys (wooow, such a revelation :lol:), in second, they may feel proud to get the chance to show how good they dance, and third if they get paid for it... !
I was only suggesting in bribing a teenage girl in forming a group and making a video. This group would be her friends. This means amateurs competing against amateurs. Which would be the same as if she wasn't bribe in making the video.
mr seamstress
Distinguished Member

Post by mr seamstress »

A lot has been said about the background. In the movie Demolition Man it was supported by companies wanted their products be visible anyone who watches the movie. Taco Bell and GM invest in this movie about 15 million dollars for their products be seen in the background. They invest money in such movies because it sells their products and they can make a profit by placing their products in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlcDHlK_RoY