Man in skirt wins Eurovision

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Man in skirt wins Eurovision

Post by Mouse »

Nemo from Switzerland has just won Eurovision in a Skirt.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coOJkjCMcow
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Uncle Al

Re: Man in skirt wins Eurovision

Post by Uncle Al »

Unavailable in the U. S. :(

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Nemo is self-identified as non-binary, so borderline MIS, but hey, it's another AMAB person in a skirt getting some ...

I was going to say exposure, but I'm not sure that's the right word!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Am I wrong in thinking that the skirt is becoming a non-binary flag? How many of the men at the Met Gala wearing skirts were non-binary, is that a bad thing?

Perceptions of masculinity could be changing from 'man or not man' to a wider bandwidth for men.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Great. A nice flowy mini skirt too. Lots of activity and air movement with very little unwanted exposure which gives one a lot of confidence about wearing that style of skirt. Perhaps not pink for me but I have similar in teal.
It will be an event like this that stimulates the interest in skirt wearing by the younger generation ........ unlikely us being the catalyst.
Barleymower wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:08 am Perceptions of masculinity could be changing from 'man or not man' to a wider bandwidth for men.
I hope so, as there are as many sorts of men as there are men; we are all individuals.
If anyone questioned my gender, which hasn't happened yet, I would answer "I am happy being a man as I am free to be the sort of man I want to be."
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I found it most interesting that the song "The code" is not that far from what we're about here at the cafe. For example:
Welcome to the show, let everybody know
I’m done playing the game, I’ll break out of the chains
You better buckle up, I’ll pour another cup
This is my bohème, so drink it up, my friend
And
I, I went to hell and back to find myself on track
I broke the code, oh ohh
Like ammonites, I just gave it some time
Now I found paradise
I broke the code, oh ohh
It's about how the limitations are almost all in your own head and discovering this isn't an easy process. As for what the "code" is that is being broken, there are several possible meanings, you can pick one.

It was also definitely one of the better entries. After the so-manyth power-ballad doing Beyoncé moves, it was nice to get something at least original.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

His performance was very impressive, he did played well with that moving plate, all the moves he did, without stopping singing! Bravo!

But. He identifies as non binary, confirming yet one more time that skirts are not for straight hetero guys.
Barleymower wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:08 amAm I wrong in thinking that the skirt is becoming a non-binary flag? How many of the men at the Met Gala wearing skirts were non-binary, is that a bad thing?
I'm afraid this is really becoming a flag, which is good for them, but definitely not for an average guy who may be hesitant to give it a try :-( This will make me reconsider twice about wearing a skirt publicly in the coming weeks, to avoid the unwanted linkage.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Spirou003 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:17 am I'm afraid this is really becoming a flag, which is good for them, but definitely not for an average guy who may be hesitant to give it a try :-( This will make me reconsider twice about wearing a skirt publicly in the coming weeks, to avoid the unwanted linkage.
I was actually wondering about this this morning as I was walking skirted to the supermarket. My skirt was black though, so I reasoned that as long as I avoided my bright pink skirts I'd be fine. Which is pretty easy since I don't own any pink skirts :D

I can't spend the whole time worrying about what other people think, I'd never get anything done. I can't take responsibility for other people's thoughts.

I was however reminded of the major benefit of skirts: proper ventilation on hot days.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Spirou003 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:17 amBut. He identifies as non binary, confirming yet one more time that skirts are not for straight hetero guys.
Barleymower wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:08 amAm I wrong in thinking that the skirt is becoming a non-binary flag? How many of the men at the Met Gala wearing skirts were non-binary, is that a bad thing?
I'm afraid this is really becoming a flag, which is good for them, but definitely not for an average guy who may be hesitant to give it a try :-( This will make me reconsider twice about wearing a skirt publicly in the coming weeks, to avoid the unwanted linkage.
This sums it up in a nutshell. This is precisely the sort of thing that will put straight hetero-normative men right off the notion of skirts -- they're becoming a signifier of things that 95+% of the population is NOT.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

This was my Eurovision entry!
vlcsnap-2024-05-12-14h03m59s587.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

howardfh wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:10 pm This was my Eurovision entry!
That is a great outfit Howardfh, well done.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Mouse wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:32 pm
howardfh wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:10 pm This was my Eurovision entry!
That is a great outfit Howardfh, well done.
Thank you!
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:08 am Am I wrong in thinking that the skirt is becoming a non-binary flag? How many of the men at the Met Gala wearing skirts were non-binary, is that a bad thing?

Perceptions of masculinity could be changing from 'man or not man' to a wider bandwidth for men.
I don’t think it is anything to worry about. Think, we have been worried about being feminine by wearing a skirt… now we are worried about being thought of as non binary. We all need to think about being happy and good for us and worry less about what others think. The more any man puts on a skirt and is confident and happy it, the more others will follow. Here was a man, very happy in his outfit being successful in front of millions of people who get this, voted for him to win.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

@Spirou003:
Please don't not reconsider. There will always be a reason to not go out there.
@Mouse:
Totally agree, theres nothing to worry about. The whole non binary thing has become a bit warped. It was a opportunity for all of us to recognise that is ok to put yourself in the other person's shoes and realise that we are not so different. It hasn't worked out that way but it still could.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

If you find the ManBox constraining, then there are two options: (1) try to make the box bigger; (2) step outside the box. Which you choose is up to you: clearly a lot of people here are much happier with option (1). It might be better if you didn't have to choose - if it was generally accepted that the ManBox (and the WomanBox) can be bigger than you had imagined, then people might not feel obliged to step into the "non-binary zone".

Other options, involving having one or both feet in the WomanBox, is for the most part outside the scope of this forum, though not beyond the scope of some of its members.