Men's? Unisex? Or Women's?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men's? Unisex? Or Women's?

Post by Grok »

On the other hand, we should consider another of the twin revolutions.

Noticed that Purple Rain not only has hiking skirts/"kilts", but also hiking dresses. Seems to me that there could be a niches that remains unfilled-a hiking dress for men.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

outside of the kilt world, it's pretty much either women's or homemade for me.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It's worth recalling that "unisex" was coded term in the late 1960s when women were in the process of butching up their hairstyles and were starting to wear men's styles -- hence the unfortunate term.

Today, "unisex" should be regarded as a clarion call that men are about to lose another option.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Seb
Distinguished Member

Post by Seb »

Grok wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:56 am Seems to me that there could be a niches that remains unfilled-a hiking dress for men.
I think so too, I've not had a chance to try out my prototype on the trail yet, so unsworn is best, but my hopes are high.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

Don't know why we want to have labels. For me a big jump forward would be to see skirts labeled as Women/Men.
Thank you to those who listed sites. Nice to look at but I am retired and poor. To spend a 100.oo plus on a garment is a luxury. I get most of my skirts at my local thrift store. If you like denim there are tones. All different lengths and sizes. Have picked up several Skorts and removed the inner shorts, not designed for men. If your into dresses lots. Prices are all under 10 dollars Canadian for me. for ten bucks I can buy things I might just wear at home.

I wear my skirts every day out and about. Have gotten a few funny looks but more good comments than bad. For me wearing a skirt is just a willingness to do so. Most people are to busy to even notice.

Dan
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I should have explained what I meant by twin revolutions. For men:

One revolution is skirt like garments gaining traction.

Another is dress like (or robe like) garments gaining traction.

I have also wondered if another revolution-one of personal expression-could gain traction. I'm thinking of nail polish, jewelry, etc.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I've been over thinking this. Two revolutions:

1. Skirted rigs.

2. Modes of expression-which are compatible with trousers (nail polish, jewelry, cologne, handbags, etc.).

Note that both 1 and 2 could proceed in parallel to the other.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

A half-page news item in The Times today ("Step out from the crowd in skousers") introduces a new fashion trend, the wearing of a skirt over trousers. It's illustrated by photos of a film-maker and two fashion bloggers who have been spotted thus attired -- "the height of cool right now", the writer declares. Kilts, minis and pencil skirts can all be paired in this way with jeans, or whatever.

No mention is made of men -- but if "skousering" catches on, might it create opportunities for would-be MIS to get started without being too conspicuous? That is, until the Northern Hemisphere summer becomes too warm for the extra layer....
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

geron wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:58 am A half-page news item in The Times today ("Step out from the crowd in skousers") introduces a new fashion trend, the wearing of a skirt over trousers. It's illustrated by photos of a film-maker and two fashion bloggers who have been spotted thus attired -- "the height of cool right now", the writer declares. Kilts, minis and pencil skirts can all be paired in this way with jeans, or whatever.
I find this all very confusing in a logical kind of way. In essence, when we have skirt over tights, we have thin trousers beneath a skirt, we then go up in thickness, through leggings, jeggings, skinny jeans, jeans, trousers. All leg covering beneath a skirt.

It all gives the fashion writers something to write about, to sell magazines and news papers though so I guess there is a reason.

A man gets a similar look when he wears a longish coat over a normal suit, in total man space.

Also if you wear a skirt over trousers, you are not really getting how a skirt feels to wear, it's a bit like when you wear thickish winter tights.

I will return back under my rock now.....🤠
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Looking at the labels of many skirts, I have not found any that state "women's", even the sizes don't genderise as perhaps shoes sizes do. Hence one could argue that skirts are for everyone and it is only the retail stores that discriminate . I think that us men should scream (in a deep voice of course) discrimination. Imagine the response if hardware stores had a big sign "Men's Hardware" over the power tool area.
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Skirts and dresses would be designated "women's", not for gender but size, IE not girls/childrenswear.
The garment label only indicates size within the category, that bit is your own business.
It will still be a long time before the retailers place skirts and dresses in the menswear category.
As for "unisex", that's a joke, and not a good one either.
Steve
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

STEVIE wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:56 pm It will still be a long time before the retailers place skirts and dresses in the menswear category.
Perhaps just under a banner "Skirts", like "Towels" or "Bed Linen"

Talking of towels:
They call then shorts but really a mini wrap skirt.
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/men- ... _paid&pp=0
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

denimini wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:39 pm Talking of towels:
They call then shorts but really a mini wrap skirt.
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/men- ... _paid&pp=0
Oh that's clever. Recently there's been a lot of womens shorts that have that flap across the front to make it look skirt-like. So here we have the reverse: a flap across the front to disguise that the "shorts" are actually a skirt :D
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I like the longer version
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/men- ... 78914.html
I am all for short skirts, but men have bits that hang down more than some.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:12 pm I like the longer version
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/men- ... 78914.html
I am all for short skirts, but men have bits that hang down more than some.
Isn't that what underwear is for?
I wouldn't wear a shirt skirt myself but if I did want to wear one that should be ok.