Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
KiltedBigWave
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by KiltedBigWave »

I recently participated in a trail run with some friends and then a stop at the pub. I wore an 18-inch Sport Kilt and long sleeve T shirt. No negativity, just nice comments, I felt very comfortable, and enjoyed what I was wearing.
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kilts (and some skirts) "IF" noticed are great conversation starters - - - at least I found it so.
Best that you have some knowledge about the tartan/clan colors - cost - where you got yours or perhaps website links.
As for the other clothing accessories - do they blend in or contrast with the fashion ?
So kilts/skirts are comfortable - what is comfortable about them absent sexual overtones ?
Expect the usual jokes and ridicule - be prepared for the ill comments to be like water flowing off a ducks back.

Also carry a BIG claymore to ward off the unruly mob ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

greenboots wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:43 pm
Modoc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:42 am
greenboots wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:35 pm I'm not sure if this counts:

Anyway, the first time I've worn a skirt in front of a colleague. Not sure what to make of it, but I'll call it a success!
Everything counts, a cat once out of the bag never goes back in I hope it all works out well for you
The problem is that my wife wants to keep the cat secure in the bag.
I understand that, but just thinking optimistically it would seem that the event you described could be seen as an opening no matter how slight.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
KiltedBigWave
Member Extraordinaire

Post by KiltedBigWave »

r.m.anderson wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:22 pm Kilts (and some skirts) "IF" noticed are great conversation starters - - - at least I found it so.
Best that you have some knowledge about the tartan/clan colors - cost - where you got yours or perhaps website links.
As for the other clothing accessories - do they blend in or contrast with the fashion ?
So kilts/skirts are comfortable - what is comfortable about them absent sexual overtones ?
Expect the usual jokes and ridicule - be prepared for the ill comments to be like water flowing off a ducks back.

Also carry a BIG claymore to ward off the unruly mob ! LOL !
You make some very good points, and I am always prepared to talk about kilts in general and the tartan with anyone that may ask.

I always have some surprising responses for what is under my kilt!
"Look at Scottish guys wearing kilts - you could look at them and laugh, but the way they carry themselves, how can you? You can wear some of the weirdest things and be cool. If you believe in it, that's what makes it cool."
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Out shopping today wearing a denim skirt, navy tights and a check shirt.
KiltedBigWave
Member Extraordinaire

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Sounds like a nice and comfy outfit, hope you enjoyed your day.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I was having an issue with my eye yesterday so I got an impromptu appointment to see my optho down in the big city and my wife drove us down there. I didn't bother to change out of what I was already wearing, my favorite dark Rootstock sk(o|i)rt from Duluth. It's knee length and has decent pockets and the fabric has a bit of stretch without being too clingy so it's really comfy.

My eye appointment was brief and I got the meds I needed, and then we hit up the very busy Costco. The greeter stopped me to talk about the animal rescue that was mentioned on my jacket for a bit. I don't think he would have noticed it if I hadn't been wearing the skirt...usually they're busy and are just looking at membership cards and clicking off the shopper counter. We both need new glasses and spent time taking care of that and the fittings and then a round of grocery shopping before heading back home. It was all very mundane and normal. I'm sure people noticed what I was wearing but it was hardly notable and still masculine so maybe I opened a few minds along the way.
Bill

Post by Bill »

A two-fer of compliments tonight - from guys.
The wife and I went to dinner this evening to a brick oven pizza place with dining room and bar/lounge. I wore a Geman Heritage tartan casual kilt from USA Kilts (mostly muted reds) and a burgundy knit sweater. We sat in the lounge area at a hightop.

(#1) The big ol' bartender comes over to greet us and he, unexpectedly, compliments my outfit saying I'm "really rockin' the style with the kilt."

(#2) As we were leaving I held the entry door open for an older couple heading in and he said my outfit was "perfect for the season - very nice."

Needless to say, I was duly impressed, that a truly casual outfit would elicit two nice compliments in one place.
If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.
KiltedBigWave
Member Extraordinaire

Post by KiltedBigWave »

Bill wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:16 pm A two-fer of compliments tonight - from guys.
The wife and I went to dinner this evening to a brick oven pizza place with dining room and bar/lounge. I wore a Geman Heritage tartan casual kilt from USA Kilts (mostly muted reds) and a burgundy knit sweater. We sat in the lounge area at a hightop.

(#1) The big ol' bartender comes over to greet us and he, unexpectedly, compliments my outfit saying I'm "really rockin' the style with the kilt."

(#2) As we were leaving I held the entry door open for an older couple heading in and he said my outfit was "perfect for the season - very nice."

Needless to say, I was duly impressed, that a truly casual outfit would elicit two nice compliments in one place.
sounds like a great time out to dinner and a splendid outfit.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Had to return some Amazon orders for myself and my family members. I’ve been using the Whole Foods Amazon return because you get your refunds quicker. Anyhow, I went skirted - mustard wool plaid skirt - green sweater (jumper). As I’m doing the returns a lady is intently watching from the side. I didn’t think much of it - when I finished she apologized - that she had never used the kiosk before and was seeing how it was done. I said no need to worry, and good luck with the return process.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

The Mrs. and I went to Disney World again this week, I only packed skirts so that's all I wore for 4 days. I know people noticed and some found it amusing and some found it vexing, but I really don't care either way any more. I had plenty of interactions but nothing negative at all. I'm not going to wait for the world to change attitudes about something as silly as an article of clothing, I'm just going to enjoy myself with whatever time I have left on this earth.

The only time I felt uncomfortable was closer to home at a stop for food at a convenience store and it was mid afternoon and the clientele was very rough. I definitely got a stern look of disgust from an obese woman and her teenage daughter while waiting for my order, I kept waiting for some comment but they kept it to themselves. I was happy to get back in the car and on my way.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Today was "Walk Tiskilwa", our village's annual Christmas promotion of local businesses. Lots of people out visiting neighbors, the museums, craft shows, and free cookies. Tiskilwa has a population of 750, so maybe World at Large would be exaggerating.

I got several positive comments on my outfit. I picked up this jacket recently at The Princeton Closet, our local thrift store.
DSCN4054-cs.jpg
I asked my wife if she preferred me wearing this jacket or my West German Army jacket. Sometimes she's concerned that I dress too feminine, but she liked this better.

(I brushed my hair before going out, but when I got home, the wind had messed it all up! Do I care? Maybe a little. Sometimes I do a ponytail, but not often. )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Jim wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:50 pm I got several positive comments on my outfit. I picked up this jacket recently at The Princeton Closet, our local thrift store.
That skirt is really nice and seasonal, I like the pleats especially.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

Wore my Black Stewart kilt out shopping today. Got two compliments. One from the female cashier at the liquor store. The second from a guy out shopping with his son at Walmart.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Jim, you look very good in that outfit. The prints on your jacket are giving a bit of Christmas in your look, and the red tone of the skirt is in the same vibe.
As for not dressing too feminine, I won't say you look deeply masculine, this is a pretty neutral outfit that is appropriate for men.
In short: well done! :-)