Real life Pleasantville

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Real life Pleasantville

Post by moonshadow »

A new weekend ritual seems to have manifested itself...

Sometimes with all the current events going on every day, it's nice to just get out of the house and away from the world.

For several weekends this year Liz and I have packed a wholesome lunch and set out in Jax on the scenic byways of the country side, around lunch time we'd find a nice quiet wayside to pull over, sit beside the car and enjoy our lunch, then set back out to travel, take in the sights, and interestingly enough, listen to 50's pop music on the satellite radio.

I do enjoy the 50's shows they put on and it's nice to cruise the back roads, slow and easy, taking in the sights. A couple of weekends ago, we were driving VA route 42, a two lane byway that snakes its way through the hills of Smyth, Bland, and Giles counties. We were on a gently curvy portion of the road, cruising about 15 miles per hour under the speed limit, listening to the radio and this song came on right about the time a gentle breeze loosened a wave of small flower buds across the road.

I swear it was like something out of a movie...

It's the little things you know...?
DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
This might be one of my favorite places to visit... quiet, nobody is ever there, you almost need a four wheel drive to get up the road. I was there once last year during a very gusty day, I thought I wasn't alone and that someone was singing, turns out it was the wind whistling through the guy wires on the towers.
20230415_151228.jpg
20230415_125004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Real life Pleasantville

Post by moonshadow »

More photos
20230415_185058.jpg
20230415_182600.jpg
20230415_182948.jpg
20230415_183429.jpg
The complete set is uploaded here:
https://www.andreapalumbo.me/places/spr ... index.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Moonshadow,
That actually looks like it might be a peaceful and quiet place to go camping for a long weekend too, some nice areas around your neck of the woods.

Me, I'd love to be camping in the dunes on the beach about 100 miles north of here, there's a few great spots and its' still fairly mild for us downunder at this time of year, although if is getting quite chilly for us, down to about 13°C over night now as we advance into autumn.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Pleasantville indeed, Moon. Nice pics. Just wondrin' .....Are there bears in Kentucky ?. The illustrated countryside is certainly wild enough to support fauna.
That tune is a good one for motoring along.

Attached: On this little island, nice hiking places are never far from the sea.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !