"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Post by moonshadow »

Friday whilst walking around in Walmart in a very long patterned skirt with tee-shirt, I kept hearing this woman laughing. Every time I would turn a corner I'd hear this giggling and laughter. Frankly it was starting to piss me off and I wondered who was following me around every turn poking fun at my appearance this time! :-x

I dealt with this for a good 10 minutes when I suddenly realized....

It was a woman DJ cutting up on "Walmart Radio" over the loud system.... :oops: :lol:

Sometimes it's just not about us....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Moon,
Yeah, it can be too easy to gat a bit paranoid around certain situations and how we perceive them.
A few years ago I had a definite "laugher" who I encountered on several consecutive occasions.
I got thoroughly pissed too and eventually confronted her and told her that she should "get out more".
Since that time she has been perfectly civil and always acknowledges my presence in the passing.
Sometimes it works.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

In all the years I've worn skirts, dresses and heels in public, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been laughed at, and even then, that's been at my back and not to my face. Sometimes, that surprises me, but hey, that's fine by me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It is nice to know that we can bring joy to people's lives.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

Moonshadow wrote:It was a woman DJ cutting up on "Walmart Radio" over the loud system.... :oops: :lol:

Sometimes it's just not about us....
It's reassuring to learn that it's not only newbies like me who experience paranoia from time to time. :)
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

I don't go out much in a skirt. But I've actually never had but one reaction. And it wasn't necessarily bad.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

When I have to go to Walmart I'll change into shorts or jeans when wearing a skirt. I won't even wear heels, mostly athletic shoes when going.

I don't want want to be in that group of the weird-o's that wear bizarre things to Walmart. :shock: It's about the only place I will not wear a skirt!
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Mark as in Mark wrote:When I have to go to Walmart I'll change into shorts or jeans when wearing a skirt. I won't even wear heels, mostly athletic shoes when going.
I don't want want to be in that group of the weird-o's that wear bizarre things to Walmart. :shock: It's about the only place I will not wear a skirt!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark I wear my skirts to Wal-Mart, to Publix grocery store, the gas station, Cosco, Sam's and everyplace in between. I do not considerer them to be "BIZARRE".

I wear skirts and dresses because I enjoy the freedom to be comfortable and not care what the great unwashed think or say. I am not a woman nor do I try to look like one, I have beard at present and I can guarantee you that in it self is enough to get stares and comments from those around me.

So be happy and wear your skirts every where you can and don't worry about the Wal-Martians or being a part of them....... :alien: They're human too.... I think! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mark as in Mark wrote:When I have to go to Walmart I'll change into shorts or jeans when wearing a skirt. I won't even wear heels, mostly athletic shoes when going. I don't want want to be in that group of the weird-o's that wear bizarre things to Walmart. It's about the only place I will not wear a skirt!
Sorry Mark, but in those circumstances why would you even contemplate shopping at Walmart?
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We used to shop at ASDA, the British arm of Walmart, but then am Aldi store opened up just down the road from us, within walking distance. We converted. Better prices and excellent quality too.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote:We used to shop at ASDA, the British arm of Walmart, but then am Aldi store opened up just down the road from us, within walking distance. We converted. Better prices and excellent quality too.
Did skirts factor into that decision?
Steve.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I have yet had anyone laugh at me,
I feel so left out,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I have been wearing skirts for over ten years and now wear them nearly everywhere. I was up in the mountains yesterday for a photo trip. I usually stop in a camping ground on the way home to use the restroom, change out of my boots rather than track dirt and mud in the house, and empty any trash such as lunch wrappers. I go about my business and often times a camper will say hi or any other small talk. I always approach them face to face. Most or all of them never notice my skirts. One day I was wearing a camouflage pattern skirt and a man asked me where I bought it.

I also like to stop at Vista Point to see the sights below and it is usually filled with tourists from all over the world taking pictures of the beauty below and each other. I carry my camera just to try fitting in and was talking to a couple from another state regarding our geography and some history. Neither one of them noticed or commented about my skirt. I have never been laughed at by anyone. I have been complimented and have been envied because I must be more comfortable than someone else and for having more guts than they do.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

In this regard, I am reminded of the old saw, "You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same!"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I do get laughed at once in a while. Normally about once every three or four outings. Geography or demographic doesn't seem to matter. I've been laughed at in progressive cities and small conservative towns, men, women, children, even homosexuals.

Not exactly sure what makes this so funny but... oh well.

I guess my style just sucks. But I persist because I like what I wear anyway. Come what may.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.