Skirt that looks like shorts on Ebay

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt that looks like shorts on Ebay

Post by r.m.anderson »

photoguy207 wrote:
BobM wrote:
Some years ago a bloke took two knives and riveted them together in such a way that the cutting edges worked against each other. He found the device quite useful for all manner of cutting applications. Perhaps his invention might be of service in eliminating the offending bit of material.
[/size]
If I did use this devise you talk about BobM and cut out the connecting piece of fabric, the entire effect is eliminated.
Just remember in doing the {scissors} cutting that you are NOT wearing whatever the garment turns our to be !

Ole rule of thumb for carpenters - "Measure twice and cut once" - be careful of what is hidden or beneath the folds of the fabric
least an introduction to a new development is one's wardrobe is initiated !

I like to beat around the bush - it leaves a lot for the imagination !

Now carry on with the wardrobe modification - aka crotchless pants and of course you could have just bought the genuine item - "The Skirt" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Danny

Post by Danny »

photoguy207 wrote:Ok, it arrived yesterday.
Very nicely made. It is made from a new pair of shorts from Walmart. The tag on it says no boundries.
The photos on e-bay are pretty accurate. I have looked at myself in the mirror and it looks so convincing but sit down in front of a mirror and you can tell its a skirt.
The connecting piece is really small, and what it does is pull the crotch area in the front and back together. I wish there was a way to not have the connecting piece.

Honestly when looking at either the front or back you cannot immediately tell its a skirt. The back is really convincing! It is pulled in so much that it really looks like shorts. The front isn't in as much but again, without really close inspection, you cannot tell its a skirt.

The feel of it is a cross between shorts and a skirt. Because the legs are defined, you can feel the fabric on your legs like you would in shorts. The connecting piece is right below the crotch and when you sit down you can feel it. The length of the shorts are about 22 inches, I wish they were 20 inch shorts to start with. That is a good length for a skirt for me, also 18 or 19 inches. Any shorter and sitting down would be a problem!
This is something that I have been looking for. I posted earlier this year showing the skirts I had custom made oversees to look like shorts.
I appreciate them making this, I hope they continue and refine the design more.

TY for posting this!!! This is awesome! I saw this and ordered one myself too. Apparently the seller just posted more options/colors yesterday but first I will test the pair I bought.

Here are the other ones I saw
Plain Grey http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-skirt-that ... 3ce1010a24
Grey Camo (I'm very interested in getting!) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-skirt-that ... 3ce10126ac
Black http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-skirt-that ... 3ce1012bf0
Khaki http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-skirt-that ... 3ce1011190

It is true that those who are able to wear skirts outside with confidence would probably find this option as going backwards, but there are so many guys (like myself) looking for something that is a transition step. The culture as a whole needs a transition step for men in skirts before skirt wearing becomes widely accepted (in my personal opinion). Either way, bravo to this design. I do kinda hope they also make them with more flowy material. I typically do not wear cargo skirts cause I don't like the feel/flow of denim or cargo. So I hope they can make something with lighter materials, but for now, these have great potential for guys like me.

I will give my report when I get it in.. Hopefully i get it by tomorrow or Thursday!
-Danny
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

As far as I'm concerned, the "Transition Step" has been around for YEARS :!:
It's called a Kilt. There are many kilt options available that don't cost an
'arm and leg'. My favorite is www.stillwaterkilts.com. Their products are
made in the U.S.A. Their standard kilt is under $100.00 and they have
excellent customer service :D
What more could you ask for :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Have to agree with some of the other responses, I don't see the point in these. I like those skirts that photoguy posted, not so much for the "blending in" aspect, thought that is a consideration, but the shape, and function of them seems to fit in with my own view of myself.
Danny

Post by Danny »

partlyscot wrote:....I like those skirts that photoguy posted, not so much for the "blending in" aspect, thought that is a consideration, but the shape, and function of them seems to fit in with my own view of myself.
I really like those pics too. Would be curious to see how they looked when walking. I've tried ironing pleats like that (For the reasoning of "blending in") but never had much success with it, but, I am not a DIY guy when it comes to clothing. I'm clueless on a sowing machine. LOL
-Danny
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

The skirts that I had made with the pleat in the front and back are extremely comfortable. I have them in a few different types of material and spent a lot of time in each of them. The light weight denium material flows nicely on the legs. The black and khaki ones are a heavier material and more utilikilt like. The black is probably the most stealthly. Plus when you sit in any of them, the pleat in the middle falls to the chair so you don't have a worry about people seeing your underwear.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

I am new here and did not think I would ever wear a skirt in public. I found myself at this website after I started to wear certain women's sleepwear at home, liking the unbifurcated nature of it (and after finding men's and unisex night shirts to be a bit limited). Then I saw this topic and it's forced me to consider the possibility that I might actually try such a thing. I would like to view the link that photoguy posted, but the system is not letting me, telling me "You are not authorised to read this forum". Is there something that can be done to change this? I might like to make my own skirt out of shorts and it sounds like the website could be helpful. I didn't like the ones on sale on ebay as I don't like the pockets on cargo pants.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Jim2 wrote:I am new here and did not think I would ever wear a skirt in public. I found myself at this website after I started to wear certain women's sleepwear at home, liking the unbifurcated nature of it (and after finding men's and unisex night shirts to be a bit limited). Then I saw this topic and it's forced me to consider the possibility that I might actually try such a thing. I would like to view the link that photoguy posted, but the system is not letting me, telling me "You are not authorised to read this forum". Is there something that can be done to change this? I might like to make my own skirt out of shorts and it sounds like the website could be helpful. I didn't like the ones on sale on ebay as I don't like the pockets on cargo pants.
Welcome Jim! Finding nightshirts are a hassle! Men's night shirts are huge and bulky.. Women's don't fit right on me or always have designs on them that I don't care for. I have looked for a plain simple lightweight (regular fit) night shirt for a long time and still cannot find one.. AT least not in any decent price range. lol
-Danny
Danny

Post by Danny »

Got my order in yesterday from ebay and here’s my review.
Photoguy’s review is spot-on, but I'll add my personal take on them.

First if all, i just gotta say...... The skirt looks likes shorts! lol

The photos on ebay are exactly as depicted.I was also surprised that the material was lighter than I expected. As I’ve said before, I’m not a fan of cargo/denim skirts and prefer lighter (flowy) material, but for cargo shorts, these were light.

It seems well constructed and clean sown lines.

I also stood in front of a full height mirror and was surprised by how convincing they were. I walked towards the mirror and walked away from the mirror. I couldn’t tell it was a skirt.
I wore them around my wife to see if she would notice but she had no clue. She thought I had shorts on, until I told her.

Having said that, as photoguy mentioned, you can tell if you sit down. It may look like shorts but it is still a skirt. Lol However, for me, I could tuck the middle in between my legs without much problem. I suppose it will depend on the individual and what size they wear and how the skirt fits the person.

As for the small piece of fabric connecting the front and back. It’s a very light-weight material, kinda like a very thin t-shirt material, but yet it seemed very sturdy. It is a very small piece of material. To be honest, having it there was hardly noticeable because it hangs low. A great idea on the design end, because it doesn’t interfere with the flow or feel when walking around. It’s so small that no breeze is cut-off either.
Granted, having No connecting piece would be better, but then, that eliminates the illusion of shorts and then I wouldn’t have bought it. Lol

It was nice outside and so I decided to just go outside on the porch and around my yard, because for me, air flow is also another important element for me. My concern was the extra material over-all would eliminate that skirt feel, but surprisingly, it did not. I could “feel the breeze” so-to-speak, I could feel my legs and move about without much to do.

Is it as comfortable as a regular skirt? Well, that’s hard for me to answer because I prefer flowy ones, but I find them just as “comfortable” as any other cargo/denim skirts, if not even more comfortable in the sense that the overall cargo material is light weight. But for me, this was all about being able to wear a skirt in public and I feel, with these, I could safely walk into a public area without notice!!

Bravo to the design. I will be buying more from them and I also really hope they make ones with material that’s more flowy, like shorts that feel like t-shirt material.

Here’s the one I bought
Army Green http://www.ebay.com/itm/261461660321

Here are the others they have at the moment. (I will be buying the grey camo one next)
Grey Camo http://www.ebay.com/itm/261472986796
Black http://www.ebay.com/itm/261472988144
Khaki http://www.ebay.com/itm/261472981392
Plain Grey http://www.ebay.com/itm/261472979492

Thanks again photoguy for sharing this. I have been wanting something like this for a long time. :D
Last edited by Danny on Thu May 08, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Danny
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi Jim2 - I think as a new member to the forum, your initial posts are moderated (nothing sinister - don't worry about that) but just to make sure the spammers are kept out. After a few posts, this restriction is lifted.

This may also apply to viewing some parts during these initial postings. Have patience and add a few more posts

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :D

It is amazing how many people stumble across it and think, "Yeah! I might actually want to try that!" We have all gone through the angst of what others will think, what partners will think. will I do it - many still going through it. Perhaps we can help you too!

Hope to hear more from you - how about adding a bit more info in the "Introductions" section?

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

Danny wrote:
> Welcome Jim! Finding nightshirts are a hassle! Men's night shirts are huge and
> bulky.. Women's don't fit right on me or always have designs on them that I don't
> care for. I have looked for a plain simple lightweight (regular fit) night shirt
> for a long time and still cannot find one.. AT least not in any decent price range.
> lol

Thanks for the welcome.

I got started on nightshirts last summer when I went and bought this one:
http://wintersilks.blair.com/p/above-kn ... k/9084.uts

It was simple and extremely lightweight, great for summer. A long time ago I had bought a short-sleeve silk undershirt from them and wore it for years (during the summer). But I didn't have any great solution for what to pair it with on my bottom, usually used some lightweight pajama bottoms I had. Then I saw this item and it turned out to be the perfect solution. It was just like my undershirt but extended below the waist. It was a bit expensive, but I don't think their prices are too bad. It now looks like Wintersilks is cutting out this line of clothes for men. This item is only available now under clearance and newer models seem to be made expressly for women with only feminine colors. I had bought it in black.

That got me hooked on nightshirts. I realized I really enjoyed not having my legs separated. I guess I could have slept nude, but I don't like to; I get a bit chilly even in the summer. I'll save the rest of what I have to say for a post in the "Introductions" section.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Jim2 wrote:Danny wrote:
> Welcome Jim! Finding nightshirts are a hassle! Men's night shirts are huge and
> bulky.. Women's don't fit right on me or always have designs on them that I don't
> care for. I have looked for a plain simple lightweight (regular fit) night shirt
> for a long time and still cannot find one.. AT least not in any decent price range.
> lol

Thanks for the welcome.

I got started on nightshirts last summer when I went and bought this one:
http://wintersilks.blair.com/p/above-kn ... k/9084.uts

It was simple and extremely lightweight, great for summer.
Man, that's exactly what I was looking for. Just something simple and straight forward but light-weight and not expensive. Too bad they're out of large. oh well. I will bookmark it. Thanks, Jim2 for the link!
-Danny
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

Danny wrote:
Man, that's exactly what I was looking for. Just something simple and straight forward but light-weight and not expensive. Too bad they're out of large. oh well. I will bookmark it. Thanks, Jim2 for the link!
Good luck on that but I think they don't plan on continuing this line of clothing. I have found something that is somewhat similar (though nothing could be as light as those silk ones) on amazon made of bamboo. In case it matters to you, they are sold as women's clothing. Though, I've finally given up on the categories used to market things. I don't care for obviously effeminate clothing but whether something is sold as unisex or as women's does not always have to do with how effeminate it is.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Jim2 wrote:
Danny wrote:
Good luck on that but I think they don't plan on continuing this line of clothing. I have found something that is somewhat similar (though nothing could be as light as those silk ones) on amazon made of bamboo. In case it matters to you, they are sold as women's clothing. Though, I've finally given up on the categories used to market things. I don't care for obviously effeminate clothing but whether something is sold as unisex or as women's does not always have to do with how effeminate it is.
I always look in women's clothing/unisex for a decent nightshirt like that one you listed. And obviously, I'm buying plain skirts from women's departments, except that recent one I bought off ebay. So, the departments doesn't bother me either way. I just never find night shirts in either category that are to my liking. I don't want a pink nighti-shirt with cartoons on it or the word "princess" across the front (as often found in women's section) LOL and I don't like them thick, heavy and bulky like they make for men. Ahh well, the search continues. lol Thanks anyways. :)
-Danny
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

I received one of these garments today. I do not have experience wearing a skirt with which to compare the experience. The first thing that was clear is that I am not used to shorts going below my knees. I found this uncomfortable and didn't feel like the garment felt all that different from shorts. Then I tried something that helped. I pulled the waist very high, so much that the hem was above my knees. My legs were much freer and it felt more like what I expected a skirt to feel like. But this isn't really a comfortable way to wear this garment. As they are now, I don't think I'd wear them even at home. I'm considering cutting away 5 inches, getting rid of the cargo pockets, and creating a new hem. Don't know if that would work (the company felt that removing the cargo pockets would be noticeable), or if it is even worth the trouble. They also said, "We are looking to make ones that aren't cargo in the near future."