A dearth of skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

A dearth of skirts

Post by pelmut »

I have just done the P.A. for a very small low-key folk event, it was an unheated venue with a permanently-open door and the temperature was hovering around 14C., so I wore an ankle-length very full black cotton skirt with a warm underskirt. (Hardly anyone took any notice of what I was wearing - as usual.) There were about 30 people at the event (roughly equal numbers of men and women) and only three of them were wearing anything other than trousers. If you discount the two little girls in their frocks, that only left one real skirt: mine.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Jock
Distinguished Member

Re: A dearth of skirts

Post by Jock »

Yes, that's the state of Britain these days. I notice that even when the temperatures rise, women still stick to FBGs (female bifurcated garments). The men move into shorts as soon as, but women seem reluctant to wear any trouser that goes above the knee. I have recently seen women wearing knee length dresses with trousers/ leggings that come to mid calf. The visual effect is IMHO disconcerting. :? :roll:
Like you, as often as not, I'm the only skirt wearer around. :D

Slainte!
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I was most surprised a few years ago when staying in London, (Kingston on Thames) just how many women were wearing Summer dresses or billowing Summer skirts, looking far more comfortable than I was in my denim cargo skirt. I was even more surprised when I saw several, in their long billowy skirt/dresses riding bicycles, seemingly without the skirts getting caught in the mechanical bits. I felt quite jealous!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Aha! my own yellow summer skirt just arrived today. I haven't got the nerve to wear a skirt like it in public, but when away on my wee boat it will see some serious use I think. Four or five recent purchases, must get the camera out again, but not just now, it is Sunny and there is midge free strimming to do.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Jock wrote: I have recently seen women wearing knee length dresses with trousers/ leggings that come to mid calf. The visual effect is IMHO disconcerting. :? :roll:

Slainte!
Could these women be experimenting with different lengths of skirts and trousers/leggings? Or is this a fad?
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Grok wrote:
Jock wrote: I have recently seen women wearing knee length dresses with trousers/ leggings that come to mid calf. The visual effect is IMHO disconcerting. :? :roll:

Slainte!
Could these women be experimenting with different lengths of skirts and trousers/leggings? Or is this a fad?
I hope it's just a fad; it looks bad. In a way it's like knee length skirt and mid calf socks: the proportions are all wrong.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Of "floaty" skirts, I've a couple.
In moderate weather, there's nothing more comfortable.
If it's breezy, one must be mindful, or just wear a "pencil".
Straight skirt, high wind, no worries, best feeling ever.
Don't do bicycles though.
As for the gals wearing trousers under skirts, for some, this is a reaction to the "upskirt/candid", photo plague that ha been visited upon us.
For the rest,it's a fad.
Steve.
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Because so many women do now wear trousers for much of he time there is now less choice in the shops for those want to buy straightforward everyday skirts. A friend of my wife, went to a large out of town Marks and Spencers and found that she had few to choose from. Many of those that they did stock were apparently fancy ones for special occasions.

John
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

That's one of the reasons I prefer online shopping. Too, I actually feel more self-conscious shopping in public for skirts than I do wearing them in public.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:That's one of the reasons I prefer online shopping. Too, I actually feel more self-conscious shopping in public for skirts than I do wearing them in public.
Yes, shopping for a skirt while wearing a skirt does feel to me like a double-whammy.

I mean, somehow you'd think that shopping for a skirt in a skirt would lessen the impact; people would think, "Well, since he wears skirts, I guess he must shop for them." But at least for me, the effect seems additive rather then overlapping.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

dillon wrote:That's one of the reasons I prefer online shopping. Too, I actually feel more self-conscious shopping in public for skirts than I do wearing them in public.
Me too. It takes a bit of getting used to. But now that I have got used to it, I find that the women around me don't appear to care, if they notice at all. It turns out all those thoughts I had were only in my head. Just like wearing a skirt in public!

As for shopping for skirts while wearing one, I suppose it there is a similar thought going through my mind: these people will have plenty of time to see me looking closely at / wearing a skirt and they will think ... (something pretty dreadful). I will stick out like an even sorer thumb. But once you pluck up the courage to do it, it's just the same as shopping in trousers.

Shopping for half slips is another step down the same road!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Hmmmmm. I figured if I _wore_ a skirt when I went shopping for skirts and things I'd be taken more seriously by the folks in the store. Sometimes I forget I'm wearing it while interacting with people and then when I step outside and the wind plays ruffles-n-flourishes on my knees with the hemline I go "Kewl!"

Of course, if I'm just walking thru the mall, then I'm (hopefully) unobtrusively scanning for reactions under cover of window-shopping. :D
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

I prefer in-store shopping because seeing, feeling, and trying on the merchandise is the best way to make sure you'll be happy with the purchase. While buying skirts I like to be wearing one because it's fun! And it also helps educate the sales staff by showing them that men can not only buy skirts but wear them as well. I asked one sales gal if she had other male skirt customers and she said yes -- one.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

skirtingtheissue wrote:
I prefer in-store shopping because seeing, feeling, and trying on the merchandise is the best way to make sure you'll be happy with the purchase.
Nope, that's the way of a fetishist. :lol: You can tell from the pictures what a product looks like, then you need to measure carefully and everything is gonne be fine. Most of the really good stuff is not availabled at my place, just like the macabi skirt. An elastic waistband with drawstring assures a perfect fit, oh and they are availabled with 20% off right now. :D At my place they don't even know what a kilt is and what a "men" skirt looks like or what the different to a "women's" skirt is. :lol: I had to go full throttle into skirt wearing without excuses. :twisted:

Mommy, there is a man in a skirt. :lol: It is not my job to educate mommy or tell her that this is an Elkommando kilt, nor does it matter. :)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

skrtltr,
Nope, that's the way of a fetishist ....
Sorry, I disagree on this. If clothes shopping for anything I like to feel the material whether it be a jacket, shirt, jumper or even a skirt. How rough or silky is it and what the colours are really like in daylight. Sometimes the colours in a photograph and on the monitor are nothing like what it is actually. I bought a skirt once on ebay as the colour seemed to be a nice shade of blue only for the actual colour to be green. Wanting to feel the material has nothing to do with fetishism - otherwise, from my experience of women anyway, all women would be fetishists
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.