The Shirt Dress: The Menswear Trend's Latest Look

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pleats

The Shirt Dress: The Menswear Trend's Latest Look

Post by Pleats »

That subject line got my attention on an email I received from the GAP, Inc. I have had good luck with skirts from the GAP as the waist/hip ratio is about right for me. Maybe they have started a menswear skirt line? Wishful thinking, just a continued trend in women styles based on men's fashions. That should work in the reverse too.

http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?c ... 7915&cd=NC

Mike
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

And why not? A form of "Day Shirt" (as opposed to night shirt) for men.

~Ra'akone
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

I've seen quite a few of these in southern England, BUT almost invariably worn over jeans, pants or leggings.
It seems as though women are so totally wedded to jeans/pants that even when they do wear skirts and dresses the legs stay covered. :cry: Worst of both worlds??
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Jock wrote:I've seen quite a few of these in southern England, BUT almost invariably worn over jeans, pants or leggings.
It seems as though women are so totally wedded to jeans/pants that even when they do wear skirts and dresses the legs stay covered. :cry: Worst of both worlds??
Know what you mean! Don't they look just awful? So 'juvenile'! However, uptown yesterday, and we did see two(!) females in (uncluttered!) shirt-dresses (both a sort of khaki-brown colour) - very smart, cool and comfortable looking, too. It'd have to be 'left-over-right' fastening, to tempt me, though - don't think I'll live long enough to see that happen.. :(
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
beverlonian

Post by beverlonian »

SkirtDude wrote: I wonder how having fastenings on gender specific sides originated anyway?
I may be wrong........I believe the "Gentlemans" left-over-right buttoning is/was the natural way for right-handed people (the majority), "Ladies" had dressers so right-over-left was easier for the dresser.
Joe

There are many ways to get from A to B. It's not the destination, it's the journey that counts.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

beverlonian wrote:
SkirtDude wrote: I wonder how having fastenings on gender specific sides originated anyway?
I may be wrong........I believe the "Gentlemans" left-over-right buttoning is/was the natural way for right-handed people (the majority), "Ladies" had dressers so right-over-left was easier for the dresser.
Yes, I think that's correct! D*mned annoying, as it would be much easier for us left-handed souls (regardless of gender!) to adopt the current 'ladies' way and for the other 6/7 of the population to 'button-up'/'zip-up', the other way! :D
DavidsSkirts

Post by DavidsSkirts »

I have several skirts here that actually do up 'masculine' style - made in Asia (where they seem to make them both ways, and seems to simply depend on style..) - imported into Oz' and sold at the budget end of the range, and I bought them either at discount shops, or 2nd-hand in charity shops..

though this photo' is fuzzy, it is buttoned 'left-over-right'...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

DavidsSkirts wrote:I have several skirts here that actually do up 'masculine' style - made in Asia (where they seem to make them both ways, and seems to simply depend on style..) - imported into Oz' and sold at the budget end of the range, and I bought them either at discount shops, or 2nd-hand in charity shops..

though this photo' is fuzzy, it is buttoned 'left-over-right'...
Nice photo.

That's right, I too have different Denim skirts which sell for 10 to 30 + Euro's ( The netherlands) and some have the zippers left to right, just the same as men's jeans. What the hek. It doesn't matter. Put a zipper in the middle of every piece of clothing ( Like sopme jumpers, and everything becomes with regard to that Unisex.

But back to long shirts or dresses as they really are, they must be even more comfortable to wear than skirts, hanging only from the shoulders. Must feel really free. The next step for us men in skirts? Why not? What are we waiting for. Even more interesting, I used to wear the wraparound long shirts ( don't know the right name in english,) every day at work, coloured blue or khaki and were "dyust coats" to protect for light activities, when an overall was not needed. And could be worn left or right, whatever you wanted. But they were EXACTLY the same as what women now wear only ofcourse with more colours and a little styling. Nobody thought o that is a dress. So if I was to coppy the model and make exactly the same thing but from another material, I should be able to wear it without comments. I know life is not that simple. But this shows how futile it is to protest against men wearing skirts or dresses. It is done and can be done, but why then don't more men do it in the open? Why aren't there more clothing suppliers advertising with skirts AND dresses made for the masculine form?

I don't have one yet, but the fashion is going through to long jumpers which become short dresses, This a sort of re introduction of dresses, as they seem to have dissapeerd from the scene for some time. Comfortable clothing THAT is what we are asking for, of our own chosing. No matter who wears it the most, it should be for every one, men and women alike.

We have ""men's" skirts, what is stopping us wearing "mens" dresses?
If you love wearing only that large men's shirt after having a shower, when it is warm, just think about how great it would be to wear the same something just somewhat longer outside. No tight waist or belt hanging uncomfortably on the waist. Even if you loos some weight, ist still fits!!! It can't fall off you. And when you've eaten too many ... whatever and you have grown, no loosening of the belt is neccessary, ther is room for that. What a great invention, the DRESS. A skirt in a handy package.

And no i'm not talking about dressing as a woman!

Peter v

PS I've lived in Victoria 14 years. Still missing it every day.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

I quite like the idea you're getting at. There's the "nightshirt", why not a "dayshirt", if you get my drift? Ideally at least knee length or longer. And it could incorporate pockets (but if it didn't have them, you could wear a light jacket over it. What kind of footwear would go with it? Sandals? Running shoes? Anyways, I like the idea of the dayshirt. Especially in the summer when it's hot. I've seen girls in dresses that resemble oversized t-shirts...or dayshirts, as the case may be. Must be really comfortable!

Does "Dayshirt" sound like a good name? Or what would you call this proposed garment? And I agree, unbelted would be better.

~Ra'akone
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

The shirtdress has been around for a while. I made a couple of them for myself in high school.

The basic garment had the lines of a men's dress shirt, only it was kneww length. One of them that I remember fondly was greeen courdoroy and long sleeved, the cuff detailing including the placket was the same as a men's shirt. In fact all of the detailing was that of a quality men's shirt.

What was different for me was that I had to add darts for the bust and cut the garment wider at the hips. I could accessorize it so that it looked quite feminine. Conversely, the garment could be accessorized to mke an attractive men's outfit.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

So would this "shirt dress" button all the way down, or not, or come in both styles?
~Ra'akone
BrotherTailor

Post by BrotherTailor »

I've looked at making a shirtdress for all the positive reasons you mention sapphire. I saw one on ebay made from navy blue velveteen a while back and was tempted...but it was too small. I have a casual shirt made from mossy green velveteen, and its a nice fabric, if a little warm.

Most shirtdresses button all the way from hem to collar, but I've seen some that are "step in" versions that button to the mid point with the skirt portion solid and even some that are belted in addition. This picture I've tried to post below is an interesting sort of "coverall shirt dress" like a man's uniform twill, that could be made more shirt like, replacing the zipper with buttons/dome snaps and getting rid of the bust darts...good for motor mechanic types.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

I'm confused at the term Mens wear, when these are clearly marketed to women.

On another note, when I was going to high school there were these two girls that every now and then would wear little more than a long fitted shirt, with a pair of tights or pantyhose. Very bold style. To some they looked under dressed, to others (guys and gals) they looked perfect.

Unfortunately for one on the day she chose to wear sheer black hose under her shirt, some jerk flipped it up, and exposed what was under the control top (just her). This would never have happened if this little ass hadn't flipped it up. As a result the girls stopped wearing this style, and soon started wearing only pants. That really stunk.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I made shirt dresses with buttons all the way down and also with buttons
to just below the waist.

THe picture shows a dress with an a-line skirt, I've done those. I've also made them with straighter skirts with a kick pleat in back. Forgot to mention last time, but I also included long vertical double ended darts in the body of the dress to give it a more shape revealing line.

I've worn them with tie belts from the same fabric, leather belts and unbelted.

THe green courdoroy dress was for winter and I wore it with tights and penny loafers and a leather belt.

Then there is the idea of the shirtwaist dress where the top and bottom of the dress are sewn together. I made a real pretty one of those where I included lace trimmed pintucks in the shirt and a full gathered skirt.