Noble Denim Skirt Experiment

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Noble Denim Skirt Experiment

Post by skirttron »

This weekend for the first time in public, an ancient Halloween aside, I graduated from kilt to skirt. It felt kind of like my early kilt days when I was not so sure of myself. It has been observed before that denim skirts are invisible, so I put this theory to the test. One thing is for sure, a denim skirt costs less than the VAT (sales tax) on a kilt, and I find it a lot more comfortable. It could have been made for me - it even has a zip fly.
So I selected it off the rack, strode into the changing rooms and tried it on, then checked it out and waited for the weekend.
Out I went to a large and busy mall and bought stuff, then to a DIY superstore and a supermarket, for several hours.
The theory is confirmed by experiment!
Not one strange look from anyone. I even in passing chatted to a fellow DIY-er about the jobs we were doing and he didn't even notice (I think).
Here it is - about knee length when standing. Sorry about the headless photo, but the skirt is more important.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Excellent! I really do think denim skirts are the best way forward in getting blokes skirted! It's great when someone else tries it out. Not only are they cheaper (by far!) than Kilts, they are far less complicated to wear, easier to sit in, don't fly up in the wind, much cooler in summer and have pockets! They don't (well, so far in my experience) attract some of the banal questions/comments that Kilts do. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Kilts in the winter time, but the 'standard' denim skirt is a truly all year round garment.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Well done!
MAybe one day I'll do something similar. Sitting here typing away in a long navy blue pleated skirt that is ridiculously comfortable, but unfortunately probably not as invisible as denim.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Yeah they sure are better in the wind. One thing I noticed, though. There is a smallish slit extending upwards from the hem at the back that I was a bit worried about, so I sewed it up. I later discovered its purpose: to let the skirt give way when you step over something. So I had to sew it again more strongly after I found that out - luckily before I ventured outdoors.
crfriend
Master Barista

Well done!

Post by crfriend »

skirttron wrote:Here it is - about knee length when standing. Sorry about the headless photo, but the skirt is more important.
Well done, lad, well done! Congratulations on making "the jump".

As an aside, those little slits in the back of skirts usually come in handy when making sudden and long-reaching moves. That's why the gals like 'em -- and why we should, too, 'cause we're more prone to fast and far reaches/moves than our female counterparts. They're not there to "flash flesh" (in most cases), they're there for decent and honest engineering reason -- they let the human form move as it's meant to.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Yeah isn't it strange how one's assumptions (like mine for the purpose of the slit) get knocked down by practical experience? On the price, I have honestly paid more for a sandwich and a coffee than I paid for this skirt. I wouldn't entrust my credit cards to the pockets, though - I think I would want zips on them first.
One thing with both skirts and kilts though - you have to change how you pick things up and how you sit and make sure your clothes stay well arranged. My worries about forgetting to do any one of these things lead me to choose all-concealing underwear as a fail-safe backup system.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Skirttron

My 'experiment' with denim skirts has lasted about 5-years. Reaction has been 98% indifferent (or not noticed) and 2% positive. It is just not an issue. You tell guys that on here and i don't think they believe you :think:

There are now enough of us here who can testify that a man can put on a denim skirt (accompanied by masculine attire) and go about his business and forget all about what he has hanging from his waist. Nobody gives a damn!

Stu
Sashi

Post by Sashi »

Hah, seems like a learn something new every day. This is something I should try out someday. I probably won't be able to try it out until I move out though, as my grandparents are pretty closed minded about this type of thing. My grandma even complains about my sister wearing men's clothes, and she's the more open-minded of the two! Although since it will be upwards to a year before I have the funds, I still might have time to try this around them. I plan on grabbing a Utilikilt ASAP, since they can't use the excuse that I'm wearing women's clothing in their arguments :ninjajig: After that maybe I could grab one of these and it wouldn't bother them as much.
http://the-shining-path.blogspot.com
Hatred is learned, not inherited. Let a little child from Iraq play with a child from the United States, and they will play together without a care in the world. Put the children back in their homes and their parents and the media will teach them hate and prejudice.
bob striks

Congratulations

Post by bob striks »

Congratulations on your new adventures Skirttron, you know Stu is right that people really are kind of indifferent for the most part. I sometimes wear skirts that are not denim out and about and every now and again I may get a strange looks but that is about it, and I live in arguably one of the most conservative areas in the United States. Denim never seems to draw any attention. Anyway enjoy your new found freedom!
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Congrats, Skirttron! You now can justify your online name! Should post a headless shot standing, as there's more leg than skirt IMO.
Sashi wrote:Hah, seems like a learn something new every day. This is something I should try out someday. I probably won't be able to try it out until I move out though, as my grandparents are pretty closed minded about this type of thing. My grandma even complains about my sister wearing men's clothes, and she's the more open-minded of the two! Although since it will be upwards to a year before I have the funds, I still might have time to try this around them. I plan on grabbing a Utilikilt ASAP, since they can't use the excuse that I'm wearing women's clothing in their arguments :ninjajig: After that maybe I could grab one of these and it wouldn't bother them as much.
If you get one of those Old Navy ones with pockets all around and a zipper, you can probably walk out the door looking like you're wearing shorts. I've worn a faded one many times with cargo pockets around the mall, and most people don't notice. Those that do are doing a double take. So many guys are wearing shorts year around these days.

binx
Krapsparov

Post by Krapsparov »

Hi Guys.
I'm new to the group.
I have just done all my Christmas shopping in calf length denim skirt and nobody gave a rats ass as usual.
It was this outfit I wore http://www.jonrowlinson.com/Skirts/images/Sissy.jpg

I had my picture taken with Sissy from Big Brother 4 if anyone remembers her?

Cheers
Jon
Never try to baptise a cat
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Mmn, 'bloke in skirt' = 'chick magnet'! Quite right, too!

Never heard of the bird, 'cos never, ever, watch 'reality shows', don't personally know a single soul who does - seriously boring stuff! :yuck: Time they had a 'bloke in a skirt' on one, perhaps? :think:
Krapsparov

Post by Krapsparov »

merlin wrote:Mmn, 'bloke in skirt' = 'chick magnet'! Quite right, too!

Never heard of the bird, 'cos never, ever, watch 'reality shows', don't personally know a single soul who does - seriously boring stuff! :yuck: Time they had a 'bloke in a skirt' on one, perhaps? :think:
They had Pete Burns on the celebrity one!
He is off his head but a guy in a skirt none the less.
I agree about the bordom side of though, we only put it on to give the rats brain cancer.

Jon
Never try to baptise a cat
howard h

Post by howard h »

I think male skirt wearers, well 90% of them, are so obsessed with them doing something *different* that they forget it's only a piece of cloth and that, really, no-one takes any notice of it. Does anyone really watch "Ben Hur" and keep going "hey, all those guys are wearing SKIRTS"?? There are only two rules. Look the part and be comfortable. There are certain no-go areas, such as floral pink frocks (that look stupid on a girl, never mind a bloke) and possibly that half-way area between being a tranny and being a bloke with fashion sense - I try to make my skirts/kilts, tights etc look masculine and just a fashion accessory - but generally, stick to the two rules.

Lets face it, have you ever burst out laughing at a pot-bellied bloke with shorts as long and as baggy as his waist-line?!
raindog

Post by raindog »

Lets face it, have you ever burst out laughing at a pot-bellied bloke with shorts as long and as baggy as his waist-line?!
I've never done it, but I've seen others snicker or point and laugh at such things. My brother does stuff like that for a start:think:
I think you always run the risk of such stuff, just depends how your luck holds out and how much you stand out.
I haven't gone kilted or skirted in public yet (still saving for belt, socks, sporran etc) but I daresay I'll get comments, being 6'2 and of rather big size....Mind you that might lessen peoples desire to say anything. I have the disadvantage of looking jovial and happy though, which will encourage the less brave.

Jeff.