Skirt length for "business casual"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt length for "business casual"

Post by AMM »

I've got a collection of skirts at this point (and a kilt), but have decided I want something that's a little more conservative. I want something that's sort of the equivalent of the twill pants that are part of my "business casual" outfit that I wear to work.

My work outfit is a dress shirt (no tie), dark twill or chino pants, black ankle socks, and brown or black shoes.

Anyway, I've got some navy twill fabric, and have mostly figured out how I want to do it (4-gore A-line shape, top modeled after my pants: waistband, belt, zipper, pockets, and "pleated front"; and a 120" /300 cm hem circumference), but haven't settled on the length.

I thought I'd see if folks here have some thoughts.

Originally, I was going to go with a 30" length, which puts it about 12" above the floor. This makes sure I won't step on the hem when going upstairs, into cars, etc., and I hope won't make me look like a female member of a conservative religious group.

On the other hand, I'm afraid that the tops of my socks will show, which won't give the effect that I want. I have a 31" tiered skirt now that I sometimes thing shows a little too much leg. I'm afraid that it will look like I have pants that are too short
(the "nerd look".)

Now I'm leaning towards 32 or 33", but I have one (in a cotton crepe, tiered design) and I'm afraid it gives more the granny look.

Any thoughts?

I'm also planning to put in a lining (I always put in a polyester or nylon lining in any skirts I make, and usually add one to skirts I buy; I've even put them in one pair of pants.)

Does anyone has any ideas?
Thanks for all the fish.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt length for "business casual"

Post by Kilted_John »

Why not do a knee-length skirt with socks that come up to the knee? It'll look kinda like a kilt in that respect, and probably will be mistaken as such by less informed people, which would be good. I'm quite happily amazed at how little attention I get when wearing a black knee-length pleated skirt, even if I wear sheer knee highs with it. A friend of mine thought it was a Utilikilt, even though it doesn't have pockets and is pleated all the way around.

If you wanted, you could make the skirt just below the knee, which would hide the bare skin at least when standing and sitting, but when walking you might show some knee. With ankle socks, I think you'd have to make a skirt that was ankle length, since shorter lengths will definitely show the tops. So, with those shorter lengths, knee socks would be best, if you don't want to go PH or thigh-highs...

Since it does sound like you prefer long skirts, try the knee socks with the 31" long skirt. I suspect that will make it look less like you're showing too much leg. Probably navy blue or black would be my recommendation.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Ingemar

No ankle-socks here!

Post by Ingemar »

Hi!

I simply can´t think about wearing ankle-socks to a skirt, that is if I say it a "little girl thing" and that´s not the picture I wish to give to the world. I always wear knees-highs with skirts when it isn´t pantyhose season.

Greetings

Ingemar
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt length for "business casual"

Post by AMM »

Knee-length skirts --

I like the idea of knee-length skirts, but
I find that when I sit in them, there's nothing
between me and the chair. Even if I sweep the
skirt under me, my thighs are still bare on the
bottom. This is true for my kilt as well.

I may try making skirts that are a few
inches longer in the back than the front.
(The floor-to-hem measurements I've taken when
wearing my contra-dance skirts suggest that
I should lengthen the back and shorten the front
for any skirt.)

I also like the idea of knee socks, but it's really
hard to find them around here (NYC area.) Especially
since I have big calves, so I need really big ones.
Even soccer socks are only available up to XL.

You can get "over the calf" dress socks, but they
don't reach the knee. http://www.sock-dreams.com has
some really long ones, but even their extra-large
socks are really tight going past my calves.

There's also the issue of keeping the socks up;
the over-the-calf socks barely get past the
widest part of my calf, and so tend to slide down.

I may try the "over the calf" socks with a 31" skirt.
I picked up a nice button-up khaki twill skirt
at Goodwill which I will base my design on.
It's too tight around the waist (38" max vs.
my waist size of 44--45"), but otherwise it looks
good. It's a basic cone, with belt loops,
waistband, and lots of pockets.

I'm also thinking of trying to create a shorter
skirt (24") that zips all the way open in front,
like a jacket, to wear in the summer. Again, with
pockets &c. like men's pants.

Ankle socks --

Ingemar, I wonder if we have a communication
difficulty. The socks I'm thinking of are
sometimes also called "crew socks" here,
and if you stand in your sock feet, the top
is about 25--30 cm. off the floor. This is
a pretty common length for men's socks in the
USA.
Thanks for all the fish.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

AMM,

Ya could always try plus-size trouser socks. You might have to do double layers to avoid the sheer appearance, but they will come up to the knees, since they do stretch quite nicely. I have fairly thick calves too and they still come all the way up to the bottom of the kneecap, even if I buy the regular 9-11 size, instead of the 10-13 plus size. BTW: if you do use a rather full pleated knee-length skirt, it will have enough material to let you sit on it, instead of letting your thighs touch the chair or stool, etc... The skirt that's pictured in my avatar is very full. Still gets confused for a kilt often, even though it's a very thin polyester fabric... The other thing, is if you wear it so it's just below the kneecap, most skirts are long enough to allow you to sit on them...

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

my 2 cents worth

Post by Since1982 »

I don't know what you've tried or haven't tried but I just ordered 3 new skirts from Lane Bryant that are straight with a slightly A-line look to them. I bought the petite length which is 31 inches and they come with a long just above the knees to the hem back vent so walking or running is no problem, I already have one from there and I like it a lot. The new ones are a chambray colored denim(chambray is like stone washed jeans), a black twill and a khaki twill. For only $16.95 each I figured I would get skirts that are better sewn than anything I could do even with my computerized self threading needle sewing machine. The chambray one I plan to cut off about 4 inches of length and rehem it. It will then reach my upper knees and be almost straight. I find straight skirts that are above the knees are extremely easy to walk, run or bicycle in plus anyone that sees them mostly just assumes they are shorts from a distance. If you'd like the link to the page that the ones I bought are on just PM me and let me know. It's also on several other posts I've made in the last week. Look around and you can find it in my posts. I'm extra large and losing weight which is why I shop a lot in either Lane Bryant or Just My Size.com which are both sites that cater to larger people. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

For business, I think lots of pleats isn't so appropriate. Better to have a more simple A-line or straight skirt. I think to the knees is a good idea.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

I'm too big to cross legs in a knee-length, so just-below-the-knee Amerikilts and Utilikilts ensure that there's plenty of material with the pleats to fall between the legs when sitting at my desk talking to a customer, or in a meeting at work. Oh, and kilt hose have plenty of stretch for my big calves, with flashes to keep them up.

binx
shropshire steve

My office skirts

Post by shropshire steve »

AMM wrote:I want something that's sort of the equivalent
of the twill pants that are part of my "business casual" outfit
that I wear to work.
Any thoughts?
I have a few pleated skirts in black or navy blue that i have picked up which seem to go OK for the office. They are about 33'' to 36'' in length. That lenght of skirt in a pleated style makes for a very nice to wear easy going skirt style. I either wear knee high black socks or increasingly these days I wear knee high stocking socks with them. The lenght of skirt I wear means that with knee high socks/tights the bottom of my skirt is usually below the sock top.

Regards Steve
shropshire steve
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Binx and Ingemar

Post by Since1982 »

Binx, as you can see from my pictures I also find it impossible to cross my legs unless I'm standing up. I wear a black microfiber slip under my knee length or slightly above straight skirts. The slip is not straight its A-line and falls down between my legs when I'm sitting. I also wear black jockey shorts under my knee length skirts. I can't imagine anyone that cared to peep under the hem of my skirt actually seeing anything except a black area in the shade. The old time phrase "It's snowing down south" doesn't work with black either. I don't know how you feel about wearing a slip but they were invented for wearing under a skirt for 2 or more reasons, 1. comfort against your skin from rough fabrics like denim and 2. modesty. Just an idea, try it, you might like it. :D

Ingemar, when is "pantyhose season"? I don't wear pantyhose but never knew there was a season for it. I'm always trying to continue learning. :cool:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

You know, I never think long skirts or long socks look good on us. I prefer just-above-knee skirts and bunched-up hiker socks with boots or chunky trainers and casual tops.
shropshire steve

The long and the short and tall

Post by shropshire steve »

skirttron wrote:You know, I never think long skirts or long socks look good on us.
Well you are entitled to your opinion but i totally disagree. i would try and post a picture but i do not have time to organise this. I recently wore a long 36'' Laura Ashley medium blue skirt to a meeting in London. With this i wore black knee high stocking/socks and a pair of slimline black loafer shoes. One of the ladies at the meeting asked if it was some sort of ethnic dress I said no just an ordinary skirt. She said that was fine and that it suited me and looked very good. I think I'll go with her opinion.

I think a persons shape may effect how a skirt looks, I am quite tall (185cm) and slim (79cm waist) and wear UK size 14 skirts (USA size 12). In my view and from comments received longer skirts seem to suit me. Especially if i am going for a smart business look for work.

Regards Steve
shropshire steve
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Since1982 wrote:Binx, as you can see from my pictures I also find it impossible to cross my legs unless I'm standing up. I don't know how you feel about wearing a slip but they were invented for wearing under a skirt for 2 or more reasons, 1. comfort against your skin from rough fabrics like denim and 2. modesty. Just an idea, try it, you might like it. :D
:
I wear Underkilts, but they don't fall between. Maybe J'Dez will come out with something like that. I've some slips that I intend to alter so that they have enough material to do what you said. Meantime, those kilts are great for work, worn with the Underkilts.

binx
crfriend
Master Barista

Never good?

Post by crfriend »

skirttron wrote:You know, I never think long skirts or long socks look good on us.
All I can say on this topic is, "To each his own."

I have a number of skirts ranging from lower-calf to 17-inch minis (and, trust me, a 17-inch mini is short on somebody 6'4") and really believe that I look better (as a middle-aged bloke) in longer styles. Yes, I like the minis, and will wear them around the house and yard until I'm pushing up the daisies, but for "public consumption" I just don't think that i look good in them.

As far as socks go, I try to find ones that show as little as possible; being middle-aged, I think that very visible socks with a skirt are a no-no (noe, though, not with kilts). It's like the old saw about socks with sandals -- tacky. Personally, though, I need socks; my feet sweat and I do not like the feel of shoe directly aginst skin. YMMV.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

I'd agree with crfriend on this one. I wear traditional and non-traditional kilts in a variety of lengths from mid-knee to just below knee. I personally think men can look sensible and sophisticated in knee length or longer kilts and single colour skirts, whereas above the knee looks exhibitionist in my view. However, each to their own and if others want to wear mini skirts in public then I for one have no objection.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/