Trousers, Women have more....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Trousers, Women have more....

Post by Mouse »

One of the joys I have, while travelling around is observing what women wear, mainly with a view to including new things in the Mouse wardrobe. However a thought came to me yesterday. We talk about women stealing the trousers worn by men, but you look around and they may have started with what men wore, but they have taken the trouser idea and run with it. Women wear an amazing range of trousers that we men never get near to. from leg length to cut to colours, patterns, materials, you name it, they have trousers in it.

Are we men just boring, or do we just have no imagination?
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trousers, Women have more....

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

The utility kilt could be seen as the opposite effect: men have taken the skirt and restricted it so that it can only be worn in one length and in drab colours.

Men aren't boring: they're scared of being thought effeminate or gay.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

The sad thing is that if men broadly took up wearing skirts they would soon "brownwash" them too. I think it is more being conservative, which leads to boring.

When I was in my teens and twenties I wore women's pants because they fitted me better, being a skinny guy, and there was a much better choice of colours. Often it was stretch corduroy in cherry red or bright green. I once had a girlfriend who wanted my pants.
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:38 am The utility kilt could be seen as the opposite effect: men have taken the skirt and restricted it so that it can only be worn in one length and in drab colours.
A good example
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:38 am The utility kilt could be seen as the opposite effect: men have taken the skirt and restricted it so that it can only be worn in one length and in drab colours.
So true, MB. It has always annoyed me that even the utility kilt makers often have a much wider range of colours and lengths, if they make kilts for women.
Sepchugang

Post by Sepchugang »

Mouse wrote:
Women wear an amazing range of trousers that we men never get near to. from leg length to cut to colours, patterns, materials, you name it, they have trousers in it.
It is not just trousers - women have taken over men's shorts too. There are currently 718 different offers on Amazon UK for "Women's shorts" https://www.amazon.co.uk/women-shorts/b?node=1731467031 and only 474 for "Men's shorts".
In the summer in the UK expect to see most women in shorts or jeans for casual wear with just a few in a dress and almost none in a skirt. Maybe it won't be too long now before skirts drop out of feminine attire almost completely and we can finally move in and claim them for our own.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:38 amMen aren't boring: they're scared of being thought effeminate or gay.
Indeed. That stated tactic is just one of the ways that men self-police and hold all possible progress back. It needs to stop. Sadly, humiliation is an extremely effective form of control over people.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Tue May 14, 2024 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Typo
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Seb
Distinguished Member

Post by Seb »

This is something I have also noticed. If I didnt already have to many pairs of trousers I would maybe buy more from that side. I only have one pair from the Womens side, most are much to short in the legs(even my wife thinks so), even when marketed as trousers and not capris.

In the Mall the other week, I was waiting for my wife to get coffee, i counted how many women were wearing skirts/dresses as opposed to trousers/shorts. It was about 21°c and sunny outdoors, a very good day for Sweden. Less than 5% were in unbifurcated clothes. Leggings also seems to have become trousers, with both pockets and no need to wear a skirt/dress over, which feels weird to me.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

Women do have a much larger selection of trousers marketed to them for the simple reason that they are more likely to buy various styles, the supply is market-driven. Men's trouser makers produce what men are most likely to buy. I have seen a lot more variety in men's shorts lately. I am not a fan of cargo shorts in any way, shape, form, or fashion, but that seems to be a lasting trend in men's clothing, yuk.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I ABSOLUTELY rebel against dull drab colors. I have a number of dresses I wear that are floral, along with some with geometric patters. And bear in mind I wear nail varnish (polish) at all times.
crfriend wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:38 amMen aren't boring: they're scared of being thought effeminate or gay.
Indeed. That stated tactic is just one of the ways that men self-police and hold all possible progress back. It needs to stop. Sadly, humiliation is an extremely effective form of control over people.
It helps to have deep powerful masculine voice that cuts through all the self-policing BS.

John
I renounce the Great Male Renunciation!!!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mouse wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 am Are we men just boring, or do we just have no imagination?
I was exercising that "imagination" at 5 years old, and look at the trouble it caused.
Men aren't boring, but, even now, boys are not encouraged to explore life in the ways that girls are.
Girls can be positively tomboyish, ever heard "sissie", expressed in a similar context?
No, I thought not.
The jeans I am wearing in that picture are women's size 16, for the simple reason they were cheaper and a better fit than the men's.
Quite ironic that I was wearing a skirt when I tried them on in the shop too.
Never be my go to garment, but I will work a skirt/dress outfit around the cardigan.
Steve.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

When I dress I want to dress with style and wearing a skirt is a versatile form of clothing that can look good with almost anything. I am a creative and artistic guy with an interest in art, music, design (especially fashion design) and naturally I want to dress interestingly.

Most men’s clothes are dull, boring and very drab while women’s clothes are colourful, exciting and adventurous and the artist in me prefers the opposite gender’s clothing.

I really envy the choice women have in clothing and there is nothing stopping me from dressing that way too. The only problem is having the guts to wear what I want to wear in public without getting ridiculed. I have only gone out twice wearing a skirt without a long trench coat hiding it and so far so good but I feel that there will be setbacks from narrow minded idiots laughing at me or showing disgust.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

DrFishnets wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:42 pm The only problem is having the guts to wear what I want to wear in public without getting ridiculed. I have only gone out twice wearing a skirt without a long trench coat hiding it and so far so good but I feel that there will be setbacks from narrow minded idiots laughing at me or showing disgust.
I have no idea which part of Scotland you are in. But a couple of years ago, we took a family holiday in Scotland, based in an AirBnb in a little fishing village on the north bank of the Forth river downstream from my favourite bridge in the world. We had a great week in the capital and further north to the home of golf and around the area. I only wore skirts for the whole week. I got no grief from anybody, just the odd positive comment. I am sure there are "narrow minded idiots" somewhere in Scotland, but I didn't bump into any in the whole week.

You know your own local area and I obviously don't, buy my guess is, that you can do more public skirting without problems. Remember nobody cares what you wear, they are all too busy with their own lives.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

DrFishnets wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:42 pm I have only gone out twice wearing a skirt without a long trench coat hiding it and so far so good ...

Keep it up! Not everyone finds it easy at first - I certainly didn't - but it definitely gets easier each time, until it becomes normal, and you don't think about it much.

Hardly anyone comments on it. Plenty of double takes, but precious few comments that I've overheard. I've no doubt that some people think I look ridiculous, but as luck would have it, they are people whose opinion I don't care about. Ridiculing is vanishingly rare, and the people are gone a moment later. So try not to worry about it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

Mouse wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:11 pmI have no idea which part of Scotland you are in. But a couple of years ago, we took a family holiday in Scotland, based in an AirBnb in a little fishing village on the north bank of the Forth river downstream from my favourite bridge in the world.
That’s got to be the world famous Forth Bridge which is also my favourite bridge in the world. I remember as a kid the highlight of visiting Edinburgh was crossing the Forth Bridge which has fascinated me since I was a child. At the moment I am doing printing designs based on the Forth Bridge Anyway back in topic thanks for the heads up.
skirtyscot wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:14 pmKeep it up! Not everyone finds it easy at first - I certainly didn't - but it definitely gets easier each time, until it becomes normal, and you don't think about it much.
Thanks for the heads up. Reading you guy’s posts definitely gives me confidence to go out wearing what I want to wear.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

DrFishnets wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:50 pm That’s got to be the world famous Forth Bridge which is also my favourite bridge in the world. I remember as a kid the highlight of visiting Edinburgh was crossing the Forth Bridge which has fascinated me since I was a child. At the moment I am doing printing designs based on the Forth Bridge Anyway back in topic thanks for the heads up.
Yes that would be the bridge. With our base on the north shore, we "had" to take the train twice to go to Edinburgh, so we crossed the bridge 4 times in one week.🤠🤠🤠🤠 All in a skirt......