Non-display of the EU flag

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Non-display of the EU flag

Post by Sinned »

Yesterday in the Wail there was a little article about the EU flag.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... iktat.html

This reminds me of the scene in The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy concerning the plans for the Intergalactic Highway that would mean demolishing the earth:

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

:D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Non-display of the EU flag

Post by Grok »

There are a number of Euroskeptic web sites. Most of them seem to be British, but other countries are represented too.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

This I fail to understand. The UK is not even in the EU, so how can the EU take any notice of this bloke?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Actually Jck, GB IS in the EU and that's the problem for a great mass of the population. The EU's law-making bureau is largely an unelected European Civil Service that the elected representatives either cannot control or largely agree with the output. A lot of the laws are contrary to the British way of life which produces conflict. As in trying to replace in its entirety the traditional system of selling goods by ponds and ounces without any consultation which produced one or two metric martyrs who refused to sell vegetables by the kilo. One or two of these examples can be accepted ? but multiplied by hundreds or thousands of these type decisions has produced a large anti-EU groundswell that the main parties just haven't sensed. Whether we will get the poll on staying in or out of the EU remains to be seen but there is a growing request for the poll to be well before 2017. Our PM seems to favour renegotiating our terms with the EU but, given previous intractability of the administration, that looks like a forlorn hope. Given also that in a similar position during Harold Wilson's reign we were duped with similar arguments that didn't happen the British populace are remarkably sceptical. Rules over immigration, finance & banking and the Human Rights issues are ramping up the tension.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Gee Sinned, are you saying that surrendering British sovereignty to an un-elected committee of foreign bureaucrats was a bad idea? Who would have thought?
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

BobM wrote:Gee Sinned, are you saying that surrendering British sovereignty to an un-elected committee of foreign bureaucrats was a bad idea? Who would have thought?

The question is whether the unelected European types are any worse than the various bunches of idiots and crooks we've elected throughout the past 50 years or so. Sadly, I suspect it's a case of "heads you win, tails I lose".

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

There is a UK Independence Party (UKIP).
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Milfmog wrote:
The question is whether the unelected European types are any worse than the various bunches of idiots and crooks we've elected throughout the past 50 years or so. Sadly, I suspect it's a case of "heads you win, tails I lose".

Ian.
It is the same here my friend. :oops:
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Much the same here too I'm afraid.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

And here.

John
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Grok wrote:There is a UK Independence Party (UKIP).
Yes, but they're barking mad.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:
Grok wrote:There is a UK Independence Party (UKIP).
Yes, but they're barking mad.
Can they possibly be any worse than the "T" (for Taleban) Party here in the USA? Or, is this a global phenomenon presaging a plunge into a new Dark Age?

"Barking mad". I like that. It's almost as good as "moonbat crazy".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Milfmog wrote:
BobM wrote:Gee Sinned, are you saying that surrendering British sovereignty to an un-elected committee of foreign bureaucrats was a bad idea? Who would have thought?

Have fun,

Ian.
I have the suspicion that we are seeing the decline of Western civilization.
Last edited by Grok on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I like both terms, barking mad and moonbat crazy. :alien:
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:"Barking mad". I like that. It's almost as good as "moonbat crazy".
I love the little aphorisms that come up here on occasions and tend to squirrel them away for use at an appropriate moment. One I picked up on recently, and will definitely squeeze into a conversation one day, was a description of a somewhat scatterbrained colleague as being "As dippy as a two minute egg". (I always used to enjoy the Readers Digest snippets under the heading "Towards more colourful speech" (or something like that)).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce