A colourful cadger

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

A colourful cadger

Post by Sarongman »

I went to Esk in the Brisbane Valley yesterday, and sitting opposite me was somebody waiting to go over any leavings from afternoon tea. I took his (though it might be her) picture as, to many people on this forum, the Blue Faced Honeyeater is unknown.
P1110285 (640x427).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A colourful cadger

Post by Big and Bashful »

Lovely photo!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Very nice photo there - and it shows DMC-FZ100 to be a nice little camera :D Not familiar with that particular bird, beautiful though it is. Thanks for sharing.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Yes, the DMC FZ100 is nice and light for general carrying, and doesn't try to slowly decapitate you like the larger, heavier models, which become a very literal pain in the neck over a long period. The other good point is the viewfinder is as good as the optical view from a film SLR. I am considering a new (second-hand) Nikon DSLR that will use the lenses I still have with my film cameras, but that isn't an urgent issue at present.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Sarongman wrote: I am considering a new (second-hand) Nikon DSLR that will use the lenses I still have with my film cameras, but that isn't an urgent issue at present.
Be careful, the newer Nikon DSLR bodies (at least in the APC (APS?) size imager don't have a focusing motor in the body to drive the lens. I'm not sure about the bodies with full size imagers, they're out of my price range so I didn't look into them. While my about 6 year old D50 would focus an old film lens, my new D5100 will not. But the pictures are much better with the new body. My camera dealer did demonstrate that the focus light would go off when you manually focus an older style lens. I haven't tried it, and it may take some practice or three hands. :wink:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Skirted_in_SF wrote:Be careful, the newer Nikon DSLR bodies (at least in the APC (APS?) size imager don't have a focusing motor in the body to drive the lens. I'm not sure about the bodies with full size imagers, they're out of my price range so I didn't look into them.
True, that is something to be aware of. I think the divide is mosly readily visible in the model numbers - four digit is the "consumer" level that doesn't have the motor (though I almost think I recall reading that some of the better four digit models have a motor). Two digit is the baseline "good" version, and these do have a motor. Three digit is into the professional level, and you have nothing to worry about there. One digit is the highest end models, and if one of these can't do it, you're probably trying to do something rather strange.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

No, Ihad never heard of it. What a beautiful bird.
Please put up a bigger pixels pic of it. Should get away with 1100 pixels.