Would like your opinion

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
klaatu

Would like your opinion

Post by klaatu »

I bought this skirt today at the VV Boutique (Value Village for the uninformed) It's very light and comfy. My question is ... well what do you think? Would you wear it in public or is it too girly??
George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Would like your opinion

Post by crfriend »

The blocky appearance of the fabric or the print is reminsicent of patchwork and, in my opinion, works fine with the black T-shirt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Looks like a manly outfit to me. No mistaking that it is Men's clothes. I think it looks really nice. :pint: :hide: :toast:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I like the pattern of the fabric and would happily wear that in an ankle length sarong, but I'm not sure that I'd wear that skirt. Length is difficult to get right and I find that length just looks awkward and uncomfortable on me and to get sufficient room for a full stride requires lots of fabric that then feels a bit too "swirly" (is that a word?) for my tastes. Having said that, it looks fine on you in a static image and if you are comfortable with it then go for it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Looks good to me. Go for it.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Personally, I really love the swirliness of a skirt.

I'm on the lookout for something just like that one, George. It's a good length, has good volume and, as Carl said, the print looks a lot like patchwork. I don't think it looks girly at all, and would be happy to wear it myself.

Paul.
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

Length is difficult to get right and I find that length just looks awkward and uncomfortable on me and to get sufficient room for a full stride requires lots of fabric that then feels a bit too "swirly" (is that a word?) for my tastes.
Actually it does have a lot of fabric and it's very light a smooth. I can get a decent stride out of it no problem.
Don

Post by Don »

Doesn’t look too “girly” at all! I’m not sure about the print, though… One could probably add considerably more masculinity if the print were Budweiser or Jack Daniels logos…

I have some ties with prints that are wonderful conversation starters and ice-breakers! One of these is a montage of guitars with all of the common Gibson and Fender models represented (I’m a guitarist). Another depicts Lionel Train catalogues from over the years (another passion). Still another depicts a montage of those Fabulous Fords-of-the-fifties!
There are even some wonderful personalities represented! Walt Disney’s “Grumpy” and “Scrooge McDuck” are represented (Unca Scrooge with all kinds of bills of all denominations floating around), The ultimate tie depicts Albert Einstein and his famous quote "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
My personal taste in men’s skirts runs to “conservative and understated”. It never occurred to me before, but I think ANY of these prints would make for an absolutely OUTRAGEOUS men’s skirt.

If I could find bolt of raw cloth with these prints, I’d buy any or ALL of them and go directly to the nearest dressmaker, and give her a real challenge…
Actually, finding the raw patterns may not be all that difficult. I’ll give it a shot and report back!!!...
Don
Oakland, NJ
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Personally, I'm all for printed material. We MEN have a history of wearing clothing that looks like we just came from a recent funeral in...Black coat and pants with a miniscule brown, blue or green pinstripe, light colored shirt, blue or black tie with matching pinstriped "pocket patch". Great for making everyone in the room fall asleep while looking at you. Only about half the world's birds have dull looking males. The rest look as bright and colorful as the females. I think we should look interesting also. Who wants to start a conversation with a rock...not me! :faint: :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Since1982 wrote:Only about half the world's birds have dull looking males. The rest look as bright and colorful as the females.
Not to mention the species where the guys are colourful and bright and the ladies are brown and drab. The Mallard duck male is beautiful to behold. The only adornment on his lady's brown feathers is a small flash of blue on the wing. The canonical example, I guess, is the peacock with his bold, beautiful colours and dazzling display when he gets his fan up. The peahen, by comparison, is dull and brown, and easy to hide in the undergrowth.

Maybe there's an allegory in there...
nicothoe
Distinguished Member

Post by nicothoe »

Skirt looks good to me. As with any printed skirt, the real trick is finding some to wear with it. As Carl mention, a black tshirt is always a safe colour to go with. Otherwise, stock up on a variety of different color tshirts - white, black, blues, reds, purples, etc, and try to find the one that looks best.
Be Bold. Be Skirted.
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

Since1982 wrote:Personally, I'm all for printed material. We MEN have a history of wearing clothing that looks like we just came from a recent funeral in...Black coat and pants with a miniscule brown, blue or green pinstripe, light colored shirt, blue or black tie with matching pinstriped "pocket patch". Great for making everyone in the room fall asleep while looking at you. Only about half the world's birds have dull looking males. The rest look as bright and colorful as the females. I think we should look interesting also. Who wants to start a conversation with a rock...not me! :faint: :faint:
You are so right. And it was not like that is the past! Men look so boring and it does not have to be that way!
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

klaatu wrote:I bought this skirt today at the VV Boutique (Value Village for the uninformed) It's very light and comfy. My question is ... well what do you think? Would you wear it in public or is it too girly??
George
Looks really good!