Skirting around Buenos Aires

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Juan

Re: Skirting around Buenos Aires

Post by Juan »

That is so true, Kris and Sarongman... you can be creative no matter what your line is. I've met several so-called "artists" displayig an impressive technical proficency, but little expressiveness or creativity. Just the fact that you're interested in alternative fashions shows your need to express yourself and tells us that you're most certainly a creative person.

Take care!
Juan
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I totally agree with Juan here. My "other" career is in high-tech. Engineering is an incredibly creative discipline --- in many ways more than dance performance. As a dancer, you basically do what you're told.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

To speak to Bob, Juan, and Kris, I can think of no other discipline in which creativity is so necessary and which can so profoundly affect the very fabric of our lives than engineering. This is not to diminish the arts -- not one whit -- because the arts breathe the essence of life into us. Engineering, however, touches everything we do, everywhere we go -- and it's a fundamentally creative exercise.

At a gross level, engineering is a binary exercise: either the thing works or it doesn't. Where the creativity -- and the genius -- comes in is not just "making it work", but making it work elegantly and gracefully. For those who do not necessarily grasp this at an intuitive level, I'll mention one of my favourite books, To Engineer is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design by Henry Petroski (ISBN 0679734163). It's an eye-opener to a positively wonderful -- and wonderfully creative -- world.

Juan -- An opera singer; I must admit some jealousy there. Well done! Can we have some better shots of the palazzo-style trousers form that getup in the photo? That's a style I'd like to fiddle with for times where skirts are straight out.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!