Tourist magnet blows off Speedo-wearing men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Tourist magnet blows off Speedo-wearing men

Post by Bob »

See article in The Register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/11/alton_towers/

A UK tourist attraction has banned speedos for men. As many have pointed out, this is exactly the opposite of French policy in publish swimming --- which I actually experienced as a teenager (and had to buy a speedo swimsuit in France to comply with). This article brings up a number of fashion freedom issues.
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tourist magnet blows off Speedo-wearing men

Post by imadube »

This makes me wonder -
Do they have a double standard? Do they think it ok for women to wear almost nothing while covering up the men?
Seems that only fully covered men are considered "family friendly" while women can wear almost nothing at anytime.
Even churches have set new standards in this as well, while allowing women to wear shorter and shorter skirts/shorts the men are expected to be fully covered.
Isn't this sort of the basic reason we have such a hard time getting Men in Skirts more popular? More people are getting offended at men "uncovering" while women go nearly naked.
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Tobacco Free Electronic Cigarettes
Two options to purchase;
Red Dragon Electronic Cigarettes
http://imadube.web.officelive.com
Green Smoke Electronic Cigarettes
http://greensmoke.com/5520.html
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

"Budgie smuggler"... There's a term I've not seen bandied about for quite a while. Thanks for that, Bob.

It would seem to me, though, that if the owners of the water park are going to ban such costumes on one sex, they'd better darn well do it for the other else legal trouble might ensue. That, of course, depends on whether the rams in the flock have the cajones to actually bleat about it -- and I'm not confident on that count. (Punch line: "There'll never be another ewe." Sorry, The Register always brings out the wurst in me. ;) )
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Hi,

In Sweden the buses and trains used in public transport don't have air conditioning in them. Even if we don't have extremely hot summers al the time most people suffer in the summer. Especially the busdrivers and train drivers etc. Some 10 years ago the male bus drivers were not allowed to have shorts at work regardless of the temperature in the bus. :!: :!:

On a specifc hot day one of the male bus drives dressed in his wifes skirt. There were some writing in the newspaper about this. Now male bus drivers are allowed to use shorts. Sadly none of them really started to use skirts.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

The proprieter's name wouldn't be Basil Fawlty by any chance? :dance: :kiltdance: :hooray:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Banning speedos and shorts seems a perfect opportunity to show up there in a skirt. Make sure it's the same length as the shortest woman's skirt there that's allowed, of course all male plumbing would have to be invisible, and THEN you REALLY have a lawsuit that's winnable. As long as only one sex is doing something bannable they can get away with banning it. If both sexes are wearing it, lawsuits follow. At least that would be the rule of law in the US, I'm not sure how far into the past the UK's laws are. :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Since1982 wrote:As long as only one sex is doing something bannable they can get away with banning it. If both sexes are wearing it, lawsuits follow. At least that would be the rule of law in the US, I'm not sure how far into the past the UK's laws are. :alien:
It sounds like they are rather ahead of the States in this Skip. Under UK law (I am deliberately including Scottish law here) it is illegal to treat any part of society less favourably than the rest of society. Hence women may not be treated worse than men, Muslims may not be treated worse than Christians, etc, etc, etc.

Unfortunately apathy means that if men are discriminated against they usually just roll over and do nothing (apart from whinge at their mates). It's unlikely that I will ever go to the Splash Landings waterpark, but if I did I'd wear a bikini or a woman's one piece swimming costume and see what happened :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce