Gender Neutral Dress Code

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby crfriend » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Stu nailed in in his post. This is well-trodden and very familiar ground, and we have seen it all before. Even Grok seems to grok the fact after reading Stu's post, which is nice.

We have been here before -- and we will be here again -- and unless there's a real paradigm-shift skirts will continue to be the province of women only -- and they have no desire to let go of that notion. This is something we need to take by force -- by showing up in very public spaces, doing brave and innovative things, and pushing all manner of boundaries, and by making the presence of a skirt on a guy a coincidence at best.

The trans-* world is already pretty much on record as not having any use for straight guys in general, and especially those with a slightly off-"normal" sartorial sense. The modern "feminists" have no use for it; they're out for -- and are achieving -- utter dominion over men. The outright homosexual population has no use for us; we're not their type. The straight guy in a skirt has effectively no allies unless he's fortunate enough to have a supportive wife or girlfriend; other than that, he's out in the cold. So, yes, we are very much alone. And we need to behave accordingly,

Does the above mean that we should hang our heads in shame and retreat to the (relative) safety of our "closets"? NO! If anything, it should be a bit of a clarion call to redouble our efforts and get out there, do brave and innovative things, make a good show of it, and -- above all -- make the presence of the skirt coincidental.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby r.m.anderson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:47 pm

Bertino56 wrote:Now, for the next step.
When will boys be allowed to wear the strap shoes
(a.k.a. Mary Janes) as shown in the school photo above?


Well they just are going to have to rename those "Mary Janes" to something else like "Dicky Joes".
Or simply make saddle shoes the uniform of the class room.
Oh Mary Janes are so much easier to slip on rather than lace up shoes !

Bad enough in these times to criticize bottoms and tops of clothing and now add footwear to the equation.

Silly me if the shoe fits wear it !
And be done with all this malarkey !

Ya I know I feel the draft as I take my soapbox and head for the EXIT door !
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby Grok » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:57 pm

r.m.anderson wrote:Or simply make saddle shoes the uniform of the class room.
This is much more likely than allowing boys to wear Mary Janes.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby Grok » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 pm

crfriend wrote:We have been here before -- and we will be here again -- and unless there's a real paradigm-shift skirts will continue to be the province of women only -- and they have no desire to let go of that notion.

The straight guy in a skirt has effectively no allies unless he's fortunate enough to have a supportive wife or girlfriend; other than that, he's out in the cold. So, yes, we are very much alone.
We have a long way to go.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby crfriend » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:49 pm

Grok wrote:We have a long way to go.

True, but that does not mean there is no hope.

Anything worth achieving requires perseverance and bravery -- and usually will not be achieved by waiting for someone else to do it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby Grok » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 am

It has been said that change starts with the young.

I think that the young may be inspired by a group of (mainly) aging iconoclasts. Kids will see these guys wearing skirts in defiance of "trousers tyranny", and start to question the dreary old dress code. :idea:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby beachlion » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:51 am

Grok wrote:It has been said that change starts with the young.

I think that the young may be inspired by a group of (mainly) aging iconoclasts. Kids will see these guys wearing skirts in defiance of "trousers tyranny", and start to question the dreary old dress code. :idea:


I hope you are right but I'm afraid those kids turn their backs on those old farts and lower their pants another inch. :wink:
User avatar
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 am
Location: Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby Caultron » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:30 am

beachlion wrote:I hope you are right but I'm afraid those kids turn their backs on those old farts and lower their pants another inch.

One can only hope.

But I think gender-neutral rules stemming from greater school and parential understanding of child transsexualism will be a greater factor.

Even if some or most of the boys aren't transsexuals at all, but just want to wear skirts.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby Grok » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:08 am

What I suspect will happen if a significant number of males try to wear skirts in public settings.....

In settings where The Powers That Be can impose a dress code, such as school or work, they will try to block or undermine MIS.

There have been news stories about men putting on skirts as a protest against no-shorts rules. In which case, the obvious and easy choice is for TPTB is give in, allow shorts. Better to let men wear shorts, than see them in skirts. After all, shorts are still twin pipes. Allowing shorts should be an effective way to pre-empt MIS.

If some men should persist in MIS, I expect outright prohibition. The taboo will be upheld. In the meantime, I expect women will be allowed to wear more or less whatever they feel like, including "Gender Neutral" clothes.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby Caultron » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 am

Grok wrote:What I suspect will happen if a significant number of males try to wear skirts in public settings.....

In settings where The Powers That Be can impose a dress code, such as school or work, they will try to block or undermine MIS...

I expect no such resistance. There's been little to none so far, and if the number if MISers becomes significant, it'll be too late.

Of course there will be zealots and extremists on both sides. There always are. It's the bell-shaped curve. But in the end, it's just cloth and changing fashions.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3907
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby moonshadow » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:06 am

Stu wrote:One more thing. There are some interesting pictures shown above but please remember that, especially with older photographs, girls sometimes had very short hair and girls often looked remarkably like boys from the neck up. I suspect taht pictures purporting to be boys in skirts/dresses are actually girls with short hair.


That's certainly possible, especially as the kids in question haven't hit the age yet to identify the usual tell tale signs, such as the larger feet and hands that adult males tend to have.

Also in some images I've found online, photoshoping is apparent and obvious. The photoshopper clearly glued a boys head on a girls body. I generally try to avoid these type of photos as it gets somewhat on the creepy side of the internet.

crfriend wrote:The trans-* world is already pretty much on record as not having any use for straight guys in general, and especially those with a slightly off-"normal" sartorial sense. The modern "feminists" have no use for it; they're out for -- and are achieving -- utter dominion over men. The outright homosexual population has no use for us; we're not their type. The straight guy in a skirt has effectively no allies unless he's fortunate enough to have a supportive wife or girlfriend; other than that, he's out in the cold. So, yes, we are very much alone. And we need to behave accordingly,

Does the above mean that we should hang our heads in shame and retreat to the (relative) safety of our "closets"? NO! If anything, it should be a bit of a clarion call to redouble our efforts and get out there, do brave and innovative things, make a good show of it, and -- above all -- make the presence of the skirt coincidental.


[Emphasis on the bold part] ... I think so too! Which is one of the pleasures of doing this, to provide encouragement for others who may have contemplated the same, yet have not ventured out.

Caultron wrote:
Grok wrote: What I suspect will happen if a significant number of males try to wear skirts in public settings.....

In settings where The Powers That Be can impose a dress code, such as school or work, they will try to block or undermine MIS...


I expect no such resistance. There's been little to none so far, and if the number if MISers becomes significant, it'll be too late.


I agree with Caultron on this. It does seem to be a self correcting mechanism. There is power in numbers, and the more who do it, the more momentum it gets, and the harder it is to push back. While our numbers are small, we're not viewed as a threat. As we grow (if we grow), the threat is too big to stop.

Of course there will be zealots and extremists on both sides. There always are.


Always... f__k 'em....
User avatar
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Location: Terra

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby mishawakaskirt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Caultron wrote:
Grok wrote:What I suspect will happen if a significant number of males try to wear skirts in public settings.....

In settings where The Powers That Be can impose a dress code, such as school or work, they will try to block or undermine MIS...

I expect no such resistance. There's been little to none so far, and if the number if MISers becomes significant, it'll be too late.



As to boosting our numbers of MIS, has anyone promoted this with the friends and family? If you have men that are neutral or least tolerate your skirts, have you ever
brought up that they don't know what they are missing?
Getting men past that gag reflex of "eek its a skirt" is one tough nut to crack. If it can be done they be thinking "why didn't I do this sooner?"
Two of my friends I have offered to let them borrow a kilt. No takers yet, given some time who knows, someday they may take me up on the offer.
Get creative and promote it. Longyi, or sarongs or kilts as gifts for christmas?

If they hang out around you frequently, there is a good chance they are already curious, the macho man exterior is holding them back. Help them, They all have the same fears we did at first. For my first skirt at the store, I was so nervous just going into the ladies department, then sizing? :shock: 16 18 20 22? Might as well be in Latin. "Look like it will fit?" Now gulp, the check out :cry: I'm glad I succeded in getting one.

Any members have any sucess stories? Of freeing others from trouser tyrany? Start a new thread and share your ideas and stories good or bad
On freeing others.
I found this picture very funny, especially when paired with.

When some one asks why the kilt or skirt?
Yea, its kind of like that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:59 pm
Location: Mishawaka, INDIANA USA

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby Grok » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 am

mishawakaskirt wrote:
Getting men past that gag reflex of "eek its a skirt" is one tough nut to crack.

When some one asks why the kilt or skirt?

Generally, other males lack the experience of wearing one pipe, so don't know the superior physical comfort when compared to twin pipes.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby beachlion » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 am

They can get a feeling of it when they are walking around in the bathroom with a towel or robe around the body. With a skirt, it gets only better. :wink:
I have used this argument a few times but I don't know if it had any effect.
User avatar
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 am
Location: Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Postby Grok » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 am

beachlion wrote: With a skirt, it gets only better. :wink:
Which they haven't experienced.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

PreviousNext

Return to In the News / Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest