Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by hoborob »

I personally believe that the point of being able to wear what you want is to do just that, blend in. Very often the ones that are out to draw attention are detrimental to the that goal as they portray those wishing fashion freedom as freaky and unreliable. Going out and simply being who you are and presenting yourself as a reasonable person does far more for the goal, in my own person opinion.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Jeff, do you have anything to say about what you like to wear?

Like, how do you think of it? How do you decide what constitutes an outfit? When others notice you, what do they seem to think?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'll add a tuppence or two here.
Today was a dress down at the office, and I wore a denim mini skirt. I've had it for quite a while but this was only it's second public outing and a first for work.
The only comment was on my choice of top, a light pullover. Too hot, apparently? That was my reason for the short skirt but I would not point that out. Damn comfy as it turned out and I did strip to tee shirt eventually.
On the way home ,I encountered a group of guys, not European? A comment from one of them sounded like "nice day" was actually "nice dress"!
Thumbs up and pointing solved that one. Very jolly and good natured!
My thought is that there is a time for casual, perhaps bizarre if you feel that you can work it.
I repeat, only wear what you are comfortable in! That is not to say "NO CHANGE"!
BTW, short skirts are more "FUN".
Tomorrow, I go "conservative", again.
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:I'll add a tuppence or two here.
Today was a dress down at the office, and I wore a denim mini skirt. I've had it for quite a while but this was only it's second public outing and a first for work...
First time at work for that skirt, or first time for any skirt?

(Sorry if I should know.)
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

hoborob wrote:I personally believe that the point of being able to wear what you want is to do just that, blend in. Very often the ones that are out to draw attention are detrimental to the that goal as they portray those wishing fashion freedom as freaky and unreliable. Going out and simply being who you are and presenting yourself as a reasonable person does far more for the goal, in my own person opinion.
And that is precisely my point. Jeff expressed surprise at the lack of reaction he gets, I put that down to how well he blends in. As I have said twice previously, that is not criticism.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

STEVIE wrote:I'll add a tuppence or two here.
Today was a dress down at the office, and I wore a denim mini skirt. I've had it for quite a while but this was only it's second public outing and a first for work.
The only comment was on my choice of top, a light pullover. Too hot, apparently? That was my reason for the short skirt but I would not point that out. Damn comfy as it turned out and I did strip to tee shirt eventually.
On the way home ,I encountered a group of guys, not European? A comment from one of them sounded like "nice day" was actually "nice dress"!
Thumbs up and pointing solved that one. Very jolly and good natured!
My thought is that there is a time for casual, perhaps bizarre if you feel that you can work it.
I repeat, only wear what you are comfortable in! That is not to say "NO CHANGE"!
BTW, short skirts are more "FUN".
Tomorrow, I go "conservative", again.
Steve.
Sounds good! Any pictures? As for dressing Conservative tomorrow, how about a formal skirt like Theresa May? I am sure your office won't mind :roll: :mrgreen:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I was in the town of Moab Utah a few weeks ago .It seemed a very testostrone fueled place ,lots of guys roaring up and down the main street either driving ATV's or towing them behind pickups all of which had very loud exhausts .I was wearing a light weight cotton wrap skirt (It was very hot and we were looking to buy a beer) A local lady walking towards us said
"you must have been to Moab many times to make a fashion statement like that" .I replied No its the first time, just wearing what i would normally wear on a hot day . We smiled and walked on. I wished I had asked her what she meant in hindsight .Any of you guys able to shed any light?

Regards Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Maverick wrote:I was in the town of Moab Utah a few weeks ago .It seemed a very testostrone fueled place ,lots of guys roaring up and down the main street either driving ATV's or towing them behind pickups all of which had very loud exhausts .I was wearing a light weight cotton wrap skirt (It was very hot and we were looking to buy a beer) A local lady walking towards us said
"you must have been to Moab many times to make a fashion statement like that" .I replied No its the first time, just wearing what i would normally wear on a hot day . We smiled and walked on. I wished I had asked her what she meant in hindsight .Any of you guys able to shed any light?
I'd say she was admiring your confidence.

Or if not that, maybe that you'd been out in the sun too much and too often...

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Regarding feminine dress,

While I can understand that such attire is not everyones cup of tea, I maintain that such dress (feminine) still falls under men's fashion freedom, as it is considered social taboo for men to dress in such a way, however as is normally the case, when the roles are reversed, women can and do frequently dress manly and get away with it. Jeff has mentioned in other threads that he enjoys projecting his more feminine side, and personally I know how he feels in that regard. I personally find no shame in either side, and enjoy exploring both.

While I can't speak for Jeff personally as I haven't actually observed him "in the world at large", as for myself, what keeps me posting here as opposed to other more typical crossdresser sites is the fact that I still present as a man, and make no efforts to present as a woman.

As far as how Jeff is perceived by others, well I do not know. I know my wife (who is a straight woman) says he looks very handsome in his outfits, and remarks on them often. A few of our discussions have left me to think that she would like to see me more like Jeff. And while I personally enjoy Jeff's style, as I've stated in other threads, his is a little too "business casual" for me, whereas I enjoy the more hippie, flamboyant look on myself. My personal style wouldn't go well in an office environment. But if I had a job where I was allowed to wear a skirt, but it had to be office appropriate, I wouldn't hesitate to apply Jeff's styles, and would look to his threads for guidance as he's clearly good at it.

So while I understand that this discussion was not meant for criticism, the only thing I disagree with milfmog, was that Jeff's look don't no much for "our cause". Is he promoting kilts and masculine skirts? No. But he is promoting men's fashion freedom, and I do believe that is a part of our cause.

I have taken interest in this discussion as I consider myself among the more (maybe the most) femininely dressed active member here as of now, and I'd like to think there is still a place for myself here at the cafe, because I don't think I'd fit in well in a more "woman impersonating" crossdressing site. (I find them annoying) Plus I'd like to hold the door open for future members, or current members who are still learning their path who want to go beyond skirts and explore that which is forbidden to men in general, and yet still remain a man.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

moonshadow wrote: So while I understand that this discussion was not meant for criticism, the only thing I disagree with milfmog, was that Jeff's look don't no much for "our cause". Is he promoting kilts and masculine skirts? No. But he is promoting men's fashion freedom, and I do believe that is a part of our cause.

I have taken interest in this discussion as I consider myself among the more (maybe the most) femininely dressed active member here as of now, and I'd like to think there is still a place for myself here at the cafe, because I don't think I'd fit in well in a more "woman impersonating" crossdressing site. (I find them annoying) Plus I'd like to hold the door open for future members, or current members who are still learning their path who want to go beyond skirts and explore that which is forbidden to men in general, and yet still remain a man.
Obviously there is a large range in the "look" between various denizens of this place. I hope there is room here for everyone. Although your style tends to be more feminine than mine, I have learned from your contributions and enjoyed them.

I rather agree with your statement on what the goal is, "promoting men's fashion freedom". I expect that this also varies quite a bit between members of the group. But my personal opinion is that the more the general public sees men wearing skirts the less remarkable it will be, and I consider that a good thing.
Reaper_Man
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Reaper_Man »

moonshadow wrote:I consider myself among the more (maybe the most) femininely dressed active member here
ha ha ... you wish lol
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, you're not even close. I can think of several that are way ahead of you and I think RM is alluding to that. You are still grooming your look and, though making progress, aren't there yet. Neither am I, before you say it. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Reaper_Man wrote:ha ha ... you wish lol
Sinned wrote:Moon, you're not even close. I can think of several that are way ahead of you and I think RM is alluding to that. You are still grooming your look and, though making progress, aren't there yet. Neither am I, before you say it. :lol:
How could I forget Reaper Man?!?!

Shame on me! :lol:

Although stateside I think I still get an honorable mention! :D

Seriously, now that you mention it... looks do tend to get a little more flamboyant on the other side of the Atlantic. People over this way are still skeered! :lol: 8) :eye:

I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again... good stuff comes from Europe! Music, Wicca, and now men's fashion freedom!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Let's clear some questions.
I have worn a skirt full-time for work over the past two years or so1 That means no trousers on a day to day basis!
I also posted that pics would not be forthcoming on a regular basis. "Normal" behaviour and that is me in a skirt does not require it.
However this is is one I posted elsewhere, a wee bit different. The outfit yesterday was blue shirt, navy skirt, tights and shoes.
How much more "conservative" can one get?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:Let's clear some questions.
I have worn a skirt full-time for work over the past two years or so1 That means no trousers on a day to day basis!
I also posted that pics would not be forthcoming on a regular basis. "Normal" behaviour and that is me in a skirt does not require it.
However this is is one I posted elsewhere, a wee bit different. The outfit yesterday was blue shirt, navy skirt, tights and shoes.
How much more "conservative" can one get?
Looks great, and thanks for sharing.

I think we're all curious about the looks each other present.

caultron