Noah

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Noah

Post by couyalair »

Not surprising that the film has been banned in various countries. Ive just seen the trailer -- all those prehistoric/biblical men wearing trousers !!!!!!!
Obviously a load of rubbish, and not one attractive or pleasant person did I see the whole time.

Martin
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Noah

Post by skirtingtoday »

Bad form by Hollywood - so many historic films having been made showing simple tunics, gowns skirts or whatever but I can't recall any with trousers. Thinking of Charleton Heston and Stephen Boyd during the making of Ben Hur for instance gave us this pic:-
Ben-Hur-Vespa-002.jpg
Must have been quite a sight! :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
earth_man

Post by earth_man »

I just saw it yesterday. I didn't like it because it was too dark and gloomy.
Regards

Warren 2, aka Earth Man, near Manassas Va.

If women are from Venus and men are from Mars, I'm from the Earth.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Thanks for saving me the expence!
I would have thought, with the huge competition in the movie industry these days that they would have had the gumption to have got the context right.
No wonder nobody pays to go to the cinema any more. It's a great shame.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Without wishing to venture into the realm of the locally verboten I will observe that there are societal reasons that Hollywood puts out stuff like Noah. Those who wish to invest a little time and thought are cordially invited to do so.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

A bit puzzled there. Is Hollywood still a force in society?
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Jack Williams wrote:A bit puzzled there. Is Hollywood still a force in society?

They think so. Hollywood has been a propaganda engine since at least the 1930's. Think of the stream of war propaganda that flowed out of Hollywood even before 7 Dec 41, and New Deal propaganda before that. Today the players are different, but the function is the same because visual presentations influence the viewer in ways that written and verbal appeals can't. Hollywood has been grinding its favorite political and societal axes for a very long time and with noticeable success.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

BobM: you just helped me remember another source that likely influenced me to consider wearing a skirt. The 'skant' as seen on Star Trek - The Next Generation, for a season or two. I'd just finished a post on "How you become a skirt wearer" or something close to that.

On the other hand, I seldom go to anything but a Star Trek film, or something like The Hobbit where I can almost certainly spot any divergence from the gospel according to Tolkien. TV - only about 3 or 4 shows I watch besides news for the weather, and golf. Basketball or football if visiting friends who are watching.

In total agreement about Hollywood.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

BobM wrote:
They think so. Hollywood has been a propaganda engine since at least the 1930's. Think of the stream of war propaganda that flowed out of Hollywood even before 7 Dec 41, and New Deal propaganda before that. Today the players are different, but the function is the same because visual presentations influence the viewer in ways that written and verbal appeals can't. Hollywood has been grinding its favorite political and societal axes for a very long time and with noticeable success. [/size]
Let's not forget Red Dawn and Rambo from the Reagan years. Hollywood hops on whatever bandwagon will make a buck.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Never bothered with "The Hobbit" or "The Lord Of The Rings" rubbish. The books are so much better. Even better are the books by William Morris, from which Tolkien's are a knock-off.
Read "The Well At The World's End" by William Morris and compare it with "The Lord Of The Rings" and you'll see what I mean. The William Morris books are in print, and I got them all in hardback.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was reasonably close to the books although the omission of Tom Bombadil was a mistake as his contribution in the book illustrated a salient point - the ring only had power over those that had any desire. Tom's only desires were his Goldberry and the plants and animals around him.

On the other hand The Hobbit is the usual Hollywood disaster and only pays passing reference to the book.

I'll not be going to see Noah.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Actually Bored of the Rings is superior.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/153 ... _the_Rings