Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:A pity about the lack of communication but that's life.
Imagine this, a world where this would have raised no comment whatsoever?
We may be making it that way in our little corner of the globe.
How cool would that be?
That'd be beyond "cool", it'd be wonderful!

However, until the sight of a bloke in a skirt becomes unremarkable, reinforcement is very useful indeed. Aside from pre-arranged meets, I keep hoping to see another guy in a skirt. I haven't seen one "in the wild" since the 1980s, and I've been doing my best to set a good example!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Not too many new sightings here but I did see one fellow a couple of days ago. I am now travelling through to Glasgow (about 1hr from home) andnear my new office, I saw a fellow wearing a patterned yellow/brown/green ankle-length sarong on Gt Western Road 8) (near Kelvinbridge for those who know the area).

Good for him but with the weather being a degree or two below fereezing, :smurf: it wouldn't be me (at least not without some tights or other legwear :santa: ) Isn't this supposed to be spring? Last year it was 18deg warmer (and that's in Centigrade)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
allen476

Post by allen476 »

I was heading out of town yesterday for a medical appointment when I noticed a man walking down the sidewalk. When we got closer he was wearing a red knee length skirt. This is the first time I have seen another man in this area wearing one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

allen476 wrote:This is the first time I have seen another man in this area wearing one.
Where are you located?

Here in the Massachusetts area, aside from pre-arranged meetings, I've not seen another bloke in a skirt (kilts are not counted in this tally) since the mid 1980s -- and that was, as far as I know, the only one.

On my recent trip to Washington state, however, there were at least two guys in tartan kilts and another couple in Utilikilts (including one of the curators at Seattle's Living Computer Museum) -- more blokes in "unbirfucated attire" than I'd seen in such a short stretch in my entire existance!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
allen476

Post by allen476 »

Upstate NY...Halfway between NYC and Buffalo.

In all of my travels anywhere, I have never seen another man in a skirt. I have seen only one other man in a kilt and that was about 2 years ago.
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

There was a chance meeting in Arizona yesterday. My wife and I are parked with the RV in Chandler, AZ while I do maintenance checkups at the VA Hospital in Phoenix. I was out running errands and a little Geocaching in the area when I visited a local grocery store and there was a man in a black kilt, probably a Utilikilt, pushing a cart down an Isle. I passed by with a thumbs up in one of my denim skirts with pockets. Then thinking that was rude, I went back into that area and found him again. Caultron and I meeting in the same store in a metro area as big as Phoenix has got to be a small chance, but we did it. We talked a minute, shook hands and back to our shopping.

My wife and I have seen lots of kilts and skirts on the streets of the Seattle area while visiting our kids, (well middle aged adults related to us), but only one far away sighting before this meeting in Arizona. I've been wearing my shorts like skirts for many years to make the point here without incident, so it's neat to meet another guy that's his own person.

I'm usually wearing a tan color skirt with pockets and will be back to that today. They are a lighter material and a little cooler which we need right now. Got our first 100 degree day of the year yesterday afternoon. More to come according to the weather guessers.

Tom
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

TomH wrote:There was a chance meeting in Arizona yesterday. My wife and I are parked with the RV in Chandler, AZ while I do maintenance checkups at the VA Hospital in Phoenix. I was out running errands and a little Geocaching in the area when I visited a local grocery store and there was a man in a black kilt, probably a Utilikilt, pushing a cart down an Isle. I passed by with a thumbs up in one of my denim skirts with pockets. Then thinking that was rude, I went back into that area and found him again. Caultron and I meeting in the same store in a metro area as big as Phoenix has got to be a small chance, but we did it. We talked a minute, shook hands and back to our shopping...
No rudeness taken, Tom. I was just sorry that I let you get away before we had time to speak. But then we passed again a few minutes later so everything worked out.

I'm sorry we didn't trade contact info; tt'd be nice to keep in touch. I sent you a private message via the board here with my "real" name and email address but if you didn't get that, let me know and I'll get it to you some other way.

The black kilt, BTW, wasn't a genuine Utilikilt; it was a Pakistani knockoff I bought on sale for 1/3 the price from a place in Scotland.

Small world, eh, in more ways than one?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Guys, that is absolutely epic, what are the chances?
Is this a milestone in our efforts, and has it ever happened before?
That last bit, I would direct to the senior patrons of the cafe.
Personally, I kind of hope that it's a first.
If it is, I had hoped for that particular one to go to the U.K.
Steve.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

STEVIE wrote:Is this a milestone in our efforts, and has it ever happened before?
I reported a similar event in 2009 here. I've no idea if that was the first time it happened...

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Epic, huh? OK, I can deal with epic. Everybody wants to be epic sometime, right?

Then again, we do tend to be instantly recognizable...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Ian,
That's just a tad before my entry to the cafe and sure, a one up for the Brits.
Anybody, got anything that goes further back?
I'm really trying to find the oldest chance encounter we've ever reported.
Steve.
Caultron,
as a slight aside, wouldn't it be great, if we were "ten a penny".
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hmm, maybe TomH and I can still be first in the Western Hemisphere. Or hemispherically epic. Or whatever.

Had to look up, "ten a penny." Apparently, it means, "a dime a dozen," in US terminology, although which means the other is certainly open to debate. The US invented the dime but the UK invented the penny. And, admittedly, the language.

Either way, yes, it would be nice if our common affectation were more common. But I think having it too common would spoil the fun.

BTW, for those still unsure about going out, no demonstrations, riots, mass violence, or religious persecutions occurred even with two of us in the same building.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Caultron,
I had a thought, to borrow from another thread, we'll know we've arrived when this one's defunct.
I'd also echo your sentiments about going out in a skirt, do it, feel it, but most of all, enjoy it!
Here's to many more chance encounters, regardless of geography.
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:...Here's to many more chance encounters, regardless of geography...
Hear, hear, and I'll drink to that!

caultron
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

kilts4u2 wrote:I When I learn how, I'll post some pics of me in China.
Still waiting !!!

Martin