Another Manufacturer Offering Unisex Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jessimeon

Re: Another Manufacturer Offering Unisex Skirts

Post by jessimeon »

yeah the marketing, price, ethos, plain facts and a whole load of other things are wrong with it as already mentioned a kilt IS a traditional Scottish/Irish MALE item of clothing...oh men can try male clothing too can they? thanks for the info :roll:
and then its a pleated skirt that 'men can also try'... for about 60 f'ing quid :!:
sweet zombie jesus what are they on about :lol:

and yes sizing, most men if they aint got too much of a belly could fit xl, i could juust about fit xl but i wouldn't take a punt on 60 squid to find out, to then discover i cant return worn goods or whatever in Spain.

if the company's reading this, i fail to believe that a pleated square of light fabric cost you even 1/8 of that price to make so i'd suggest lowering your prices by half at least, also women can just nip in a discount clothes shop for a tartan patterned skirt, men are more likely to buy skirts online...i am anyway i get shy sometimes so really you should be aiming at xxl,xxxl etc sizes if you want to double your buyer base
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jessimeon wrote:yeah the marketing, price, ethos, plain facts and a whole load of other things are wrong with it as already mentioned a kilt IS a traditional Scottish/Irish MALE item of clothing...oh men can try male clothing too can they? thanks for the info :roll:
A few things are worth noting at this point, and, to hit the high points, skirts (of any ilk other than the kilt) do not enjoy a large (or even a small) market in Western society for men and that properly made kilts are bespoke garments of amazing quality, custom fitted to the wearer, and are designed to last for decades (longer, likely than the wearer's waist size!).

Those factors combine to make "real" men's skirts expensive. No sane retailer is going to stock something that isn't going to sell and proper tailors and kiltmakers command wages commensurate with their skills. This is something that the male skirt-wearer is just going to have to deal with until there is proper demand -- and even once there is, do not expect the price of a bespoke kilt to fall much. So we need to "make do".
[...] sizing, most men if they aint got too much of a belly could fit xl, i could juust about fit xl but i wouldn't take a punt on 60 squid to find out, to then discover i cant return worn goods or whatever in Spain.
It's worth pointing out that most men are quite naturally larger in -- in 3D -- than women; this means that we will require larger waist sizes and longer hem-lengths. It will be a subset of men that can actually "cross the aisle" to grab a skirt "off the peg" and have it fit -- and even then, modifications may need to be made to have the garment work well on the guy's frame. Even rather expensive skirts I've bagged from "the other side" had to have had modifications done on them, mostly at the waist, for them to work properly on me, and I am quite thin for a large male.
if the company's reading this, i fail to believe that a pleated square of light fabric cost you even 1/8 of that price to make so i'd suggest lowering your prices by half at least, also women can just nip in a discount clothes shop for a tartan patterned skirt, men are more likely to buy skirts online...i am anyway i get shy sometimes so really you should be aiming at xxl,xxxl etc sizes if you want to double your buyer base
Again, we're talking market-forces here. Women "of substance" (read, "those who actually have curves") are increasingly becoming marginalised by the drive to "size 0" and are finding themselves getting shoved, sometimes unwillingly, into (ugly) pants; this also cuts down on options for guys who are naturally larger than the gals. There won't be a proper market for men's skirts until there is a critical mass of opinion -- and practitioners -- that is obvious to even the most obtuse marketer and his hierarchy; so we're stuck in a classic "chicken-and-egg" situation that cannot resolve itself.

My personal advice is to learn how to sew; this will allow you to alter garments from "across the aisle" to fit your frame properly (read, "not look silly") and, ultimately, allow you to make bespoke garments for yourself that cannot be purchased anywhere unless you decide to sell. Besides, sewing, or any other craft that yields something material, can be a very enjoyable effort and a nice distraction from the pressures of the "real world".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've done what you all have not said that you have done, except one. I contacted the supplier with exactly the comments you have raised here. Probably will get no reaction but at least I have tried.

Recieved a reply in Spanish "Sa ha registrado el caso en salesforce" - This case has been logged with the salesforce.

I am lucky in that I have been able to pick up skirts of size 14 and 16 and wear them without alteration. My wife has given me some size 18 and 20 skirts that I can wear with a belt but will eventually need reducing in size. I would do that rather than get rid of them because I like them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

The rear and side views are fine - but the "dismal flat front" as one longtime poster here would say - doesn't do it for me.

78 pounds! I can buy something similar, pleated all around, for a fraction of that at the mall. In a similar color/pattern if I like, or not!

*shrug*
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sinned wrote:I've done what you all have not said that you have done, except one. I contacted the supplier with exactly the comments you have raised here. Probably will get no reaction but at least I have tried.

Recieved a reply in Spanish "Sa ha registrado el caso en salesforce" - This case has been logged with the salesforce.
That's more than I got, which was nada.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I'd think a lot more of that "skirt" nee kilt if it came in more than ONE model in a million madras color patterns. I looked at all the pages and all the samples, looks to me like the company makes men's clothes, with one skirty looking kilt in 100+ variations of madras and no variations of length or style added. Just another company trying to break into a different line with only one model/style/zillion patterns of madras. I'm not impressed..Any Kiltmaker does a better job than any of these. Even their "model" for the MALE skirts, is a female. Keep trying world!! :faint: :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:I am lucky in that I have been able to pick up skirts of size 14 and 16 and wear them without alteration. My wife has given me some size 18 and 20 skirts that I can wear with a belt but will eventually need reducing in size. I would do that rather than get rid of them because I like them.
You wear size 14-16 and our wife wears size 18-20? How does *that* work out?

caultron
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hi cltrn,

That's easy - my wife put on weight over the years what with children and so on and has now lost quite a bit and is now down at least two sizes. The skirts were ones that she hadn't worn at all ( they still had labels on them ) and sometime soon we will reduce their size. My wife is good at sewing so she will teach me all I need to know. Hopefully she will soon be down to my sort of size. We were out shopping yesterday and she was thrilled yesterday to be able to get into a size 18 jeans and wasn't too far away from a size 16. I bought some jeans - purple and bright red as well. No comments please as my objective is to be able to wear a skirt as and when I want but to be able to wear jeans/trousers also. Some of my drab trousers can go to the charity shop. When we were first married we were a similar size and could exchange some clothes. We sometimes wore matching t-shirts although then I didn't think about wearing any female clothes.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Please remember this - proress will only happen in baby steps.

I wouldn't buy this garment myself, but that isn't important. Each time it is suggested that a skirt is unisex, or is a possible item a man could wear, it chips away at the psychological block in people's minds that guys don't wear skirts. Two or three decades ago, they would never have advertised any skirt like this and mentioned that guys could also wear it - it would have been unthinkable. That's progress and we should both note it and welcome it.

Stu
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Stu wrote:Each time it is suggested that a skirt is unisex, or is a possible item a man could wear, it chips away at the psychological block in people's minds that guys don't wear skirts. Two or three decades ago, they would never have advertised any skirt like this and mentioned that guys could also wear it - it would have been unthinkable. That's progress and we should both note it and welcome it.
Stu
I so much aggree.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

Charlie wrote:It would be good if they had a male model as well, to emphasis that it really is unisex.
Also, even XL is too small for me - I've got a 38" waist :( otherwise I'd consider getting one.
Charlie
I feel for you I'm 45 inches and not fat.
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron wrote:
Sinned wrote:I am lucky in that I have been able to pick up skirts of size 14 and 16 and wear them without alteration. My wife has given me some size 18 and 20 skirts that I can wear with a belt but will eventually need reducing in size. I would do that rather than get rid of them because I like them.
You wear size 14-16 and our wife wears size 18-20? How does *that* work out?

caultron
It is called "Vanity Sizing" !
One manufacturers size does not equal or equate uniformly with another !
Is the sizing based on the WAIST or the HIP (or something in between) ?
Having a fixed WAIST with a zipper/button closing is different than that
of one with the elastic band or like a kilt with a velcro closing.
Always a smart idea to have the skirt in hand to try for size.
No undefined measurements allowed.
That is why when shopping ebay or online to get the measurements in some
common uniform reference - "No guessing allowed"!

"Skirt-Kilt-ON"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

r.m.anderson wrote:It is called "Vanity Sizing" !
One manufacturers size does not equal or equate uniformly with another !...
I'm aware of that, and always bring a tape measure with me when I go skirt-shopping.

What my question had more in mind was than women often obsess about their sizes, and I was wondering how Sinned's wife felt about him wearing a smaller size than her. But I guess it's not an issue.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not an issue with us. We have been married a long time and are comfortable with each other's sizes and with each other full stop. When I met her she was a very petite size even though she thought then that she was fat, she wasn't. She's not very tall but that's a part of her that I love. She has put on weight over the years but has since taken off over two and a half stone and still going. I'm so proud of her for that. We used to be similar sizes when we first married and used to wear similar tops and I could have worn her skirts had I thought about wearing them then, but I didn't. So no, it's not an issue. My wife likes my legs and feet and often compliments me on them. I compliment other areas of her and would only change one aspect of her - her non-acceptance of my skirt wearing outside the house.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

It sounds like the two of you have a good, healthy relationship then, and that's great. Congratulations!
Sinned wrote:I would only change one aspect of her - her non-acceptance of my skirt wearing outside the house.
Oddly, my wife objects more to my skirt-wearing in the house than out. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. Oh well.

caultron