Skirt length for "business casual"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Well Steve, you may be right about shape affecting skirt choice. In spite of my dreams I don't think I'll see size 14 again.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Personally speaking, go below mid-kneecap & it just has to be ankle-length (with the sole exception of my cycling skirt - which is, of course, casual, anyway).
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

This is part of an article from the Budapest Sun Online. Although written for girls the message applies to skirted laddies too. Ah hope this helps:

"But what of length, then?

Your skirt, as any girl will tell you, is what makes a you look great. A micro-mini can take the focus of your top half, a floor length can accentuate your hourglass shape. But what is right for you?

Well, a micro-mini is just that.

It ends just after your bottom does and hides nothing. There is a small amount of fabric used, so don't get it confused with a wide belt. Instead think of it as the trap of fashion. You must be snake hipped, long legged, cellulite free, stiletto heeled, deeply tanned, of Amazonian height and rake thin to even contemplate a micro.

A mini ends at the midway point between knee and hip.

This little piece of extra length can save friendships and marriages as it covers that little bit more and stops you looking tarty. A mini with a fitted jacket always looks great, as does a mini worn with a tank top and a pair of wooden heeled mules, for that Sophia Loren young-and-spritely-I-have-just-crushed-grapes-and-I-still-look-gorgeous appeal.

The knee region has three skirts on its own: above the knee, on the knee and below the knee. Above the knee emphasizes the knee itself, so you should have been complimented on your knees before trying to wear this skirt (as hardly anyone I know has pretty knees).

On the knee is the mainstay of fashion - if you never buy another skirt, then get one that squares directly over your knee caps. It's simple, clean and can be worn anywhere and look crisp and professional. A below the knee skirt is worn generally by the older generation and generally either in wool or velvet.

A three quarter skirt sits halfway between knee and ankle and, in my opinion, is the ugliest length. If you are tall as hell, then you look as if your skirt is too short, if you are shorter than average, you look like you have been playing in your big sister's wardrobe. So, put simply, get some crime scene tape from your local constabulary and wrap your three quarter length skirts in it immediately.

An ankle skirt almost runs into the same danger. Worn so low but not on the ground makes it is easy to walk in, keeps the summer sun and winter freeze away and is flattering as it always adds height. Keep a check, however, that your skirt is not riding up and raising too much off the ground.

Finally, there is the floor length. It needs no explanation. It is beautiful, hides everything and is flattering. Keep away from dusty floors."
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"