Hi

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Hi

Post by Colin »

I have just joined the forum. I enjoy wearing a towelling material sarong in the house, including some bought for me by my wife and one made to measure by her. I have not yet managed to obtain a suitable skirt / kilt for outdoors, but one day soon, perhaps.

Colin.
Keith Beddoe

Post by Keith Beddoe »

As you are in the UK try Unionkilts, they have a good selection of hard wearing denim kilts.

Keith
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Welcome to the forum, Colin. In my experience, wearing a denim Union kilt is perceived as cool and fashionable. Quite a few young lads have approached me and asked where they can get one or told me they wished they had the courage to wear one. I have two denim Union kilts (light blue and navy blue) and wear them often. Another option is the range of men's denim skirts available from Midas Clothing of Manchester, in black or navy blue and either as a cargo skirt which would be worn with the broader Union Kilts belt or with fewer pockets and with narrower belt loops for wearing with one of your trouser belts.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Welcome to the forum from Australia. Isn't it funny the double standards or, outright hypocrisy shown when men here, at the beach, wear a beach towel wrapped, sarong style for the whole day (and evidently enjoy it) but wouldn't be seen dead in any other unbifurcated garment.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Sarongman wrote:Welcome to the forum from Australia. Isn't it funny the double standards or, outright hypocrisy shown when men here, at the beach, wear a beach towel wrapped, sarong style for the whole day (and evidently enjoy it) but wouldn't be seen dead in any other unbifurcated garment.
Welcome from the Netherlands, take a deep breath, and step outside and enjoy. Reading the topics here in the warm and always friendly skirt cafe should get your spirits up, and help you further on your way.

By the way, I would also think most men wear a towel in house as a skirt, sometimes or very often, so skirt wearing should be at least common amongst men indoors, and you are right, beach wear can be anything from naked to fully dressed, but on the streets it's back to whatever. Strange that it seems that men are quite happy to wear skirts on the beach and not in the street. If only we could get a advertising film about that on the tv. ........ showing men enjoying themselves on the beach, and still wearing their skirts, go back to the streets, just as normal as ever.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Welcome

Post by Derek Plattis »

Welcome Colin,

As you are in the UK as I am, why don't you try the Charity shops. I buy all my skirts (and blouses) from them and every town has several such shops now. I buy mostly ankle length skirts because that's what I like - and I don't think my legs are suitable for showing off to the general public!

Most charity shops will let you try things on with no problems. I think they are well used to men buying "women's clothes" for themselves. It is much more popular than we may think!

Also, it does a little good for the charities of course.

Good luck,

Derek
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Many thanks for all the welcomes, helpful information and encouragement. I'll post again when I have some news.
I hope that you all have a happy and enjoyable 2008.
Colin
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Colin »

Dark blue denim UnionKilt now on order. Thanks for the suggestions on suitable kilts. I will look in the local clothing stores for suitable socks etc.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Dark blue denim UnionKilt now on order.
A wise decision. Now all you have to do is get out there and wear it.
Wear it often and wear it proudly! :D
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

cessna152towser wrote:
Dark blue denim UnionKilt now on order.
A wise decision. Now all you have to do is get out there and wear it.
Wear it often and wear it proudly! :D
Agreed! I would suggest that you may want to have a wander around Ebay to find a kilt pin. I find that the apron of my Union Kilt is inclined to fly away in any sort of breeze but that the weight of a pin (just pinned to the top layer of apron, not right through both layers) is sufficient to keep things under control. The pin also adds a nice personal touch to the kilt.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Hi and welcome! Just to mention, there is usually a kiltwalk (I think the URL is http://www.kiltwalk.org) around edinburgh each year and I have regularly planned to go for two years!

Maybe some of us in the UK could meet up on such a walk -- could be a good experience. The last one was in april, I believe.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.