Say a litle prayer....

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Say a litle prayer....

Post by sapphire »

This might not be the best topic to post under but it will be first you see.

New England is being hit with a major snowstorm.

Carl left work almost 2 1/2 hours ago on what is normally a 45 minute commute. The roads are heavily travelled and it has been impossible to treat them. Driving is slow and the conditions are very heavy traffic and the pavement is icy

The last time Carl called in was about 10 minutes ago and he was 20 miles from home. At this rate it will take another 2-3 hours for him to get home. He just called again. The conditions are atrocious, but he's coming up on an area that has a lot of hotels. I recommended that he tuck into a hotel rather than risk more bad road conditions.

SO, please say a little prayer for him that he stays safe for the night.

Diana
CJFMix

Post by CJFMix »

Do I know how you feel ???

I'm worried sick 5 times a week , because my Gf , who is 55 (but looks likes she's 45) , goes to work on her mountain bike , every day , and she works on the evening shifts (as a nurse) ...
I know she has good tires , that she's experimented and carefull , but you never know with all that snow and theese crazy drivers whatever could happen !!!

In any case , let's keep our fingers crossed , and hope that our life companion will be just fine , just like theese past winters !!!
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

While I love snow I love being snuggled in safely at home in it. Carl's a resourceful guy so he'll find a spot to wait it out in. Let us know he makes it in okay, Diana.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Thanks for understanding.

In his last call, Carl said he was "stuck" and was going to talk to a nearby policie officer. I know the route he's on very well and know that there are 4 hotels within 3 miles and a nicc jolly restaurant.

Still, I'm tied in knots.......

Thanks for being supportive
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Don't fret, Diana. Any man tough enough to wear skirts is tough enough for a blizzard. Nevertheless, I said a quick prayer for his safe return.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Thanks Sasq,
Carl has a room at a nearby hotel and is safe. It is the first time in 19 years that he's gotten stuck.

I feel better, just lonesome.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Very good to know he is safely staying put for now. If you are lonesome with all the comforts of home (except a wonderful husband) I bet he will be too waiting out the storm from a hotel. Keep your mind on the benefits of him missing you and the tender reunion ahead. Being missed can be a very good thing I have found. :wink:
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Well, I'm able to relax now knowing that he is safe. I expect much grumpiness on his part when get gets home tomorrow
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Home again

Post by JRMILLER »

Diana,
Glad he is safe, yes, he probably will be grumpy -- doesn't have his favorite skirt with him does he?
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Thanks John,
I'm just so happy that he's safe and warm.

The grumps will be a relief of sorts.
Diana
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

sapphire wrote:I'm just so happy that he's safe and warm.
That's the most important thing! You don't realise how much you love/care for someone as much as when they're not there!

(I thought you lot all used dog-sleds in the winter, over there?). :wink:
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

He's Home!

Post by sapphire »

Carl just got home! Only to turn around and start shoveling the 12+inches of snow that we got.

Basically what happened was everybody hit the road at the same time: the state government sent people home at the same time that businesses sent people hom at the same time that schools sent children home at the same time that emergency vehicles hit the roads.

Many people were stranded, but there wern't any severe injuries or deaths.

No, no dog sleds in this area. We don't get enough snow. :wink: But x-c skis, snowshoes and skimobiles abound.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

storm

Post by JRMILLER »

Diana,
Watched the whole thing unfold on the weather channel. Makes it a lot more personal when there are friends caught in the middle of it. Glad you guys are OK.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
crfriend
Master Barista

Thanks, all.

Post by crfriend »

Thanks, very much for your warm words and wishes. I am truly touched.

The conditions on the roads were positively horrible, and because forward motion was so slow, snow and ice began piling up underneath the windscreen wipers on my car and they eventually failed completely leaving me to once in a while open the window and brush whatever I could away with a snow-brush I carry with me.

I've detailed this in a post to the "wearing a skirt in the winter", so I won't ramble on here.

Again -- thank you so much for your wishes. They may well have saved my bacon.

Oh, well -- back out to finish the shovelling....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I walked down to the post office in the middle of the storm (no skirt). What I observed on the streets was total gridlock --- this is on oversize 4 and 6 lane city roads that are usually pretty clear. An ambulance was wailing, but was going no faster than anyone else because there was no place for the cars to go. It finally made its way forward by cutting through the neighborhood.

Wow!

Glad to know you made it home safely, Carl. We shoveled out our car last night at 1:30AM.