Had an interesting skirt exchange in a store today.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
staticsan

Had an interesting skirt exchange in a store today.

Post by staticsan »

Far various reasons, most of my skirt wearing is currently bedroom attire. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here that short skirts are way more comfortable than any kind of pyjama shorts.

However, acquiring suitable skirts is an exercise in patience because most short skirts have zippers or buttons or both, which disrupt sleeping comfort. I'd been reduced to hunting on ebay for elastic-waisted tennis skirts. My first purchase was a Nike tennis skirt which was my favourite for months. (Sidenote: it seems the makers of tennis skirts are trying to go hi-tech with their fabric and whilst a skirt in their clever anti-sweat fabric is lovely, current designs include built-in shorts, which rather defeats the idea of a skirt. Shortless tennis skirts are thus getting very hard to find, even on ebay...) Having bid on and bought a hipster mini beach skirt that turned out to be better, I now had something else to look for in the stores at the local shopping centre. And for the first time today found two worth buying.

Somewhat unexpectedly, the salesgirl serving me asked "Are these for you?" I imagine she thought she was being cheeky as it was the end of the day and they were 10 minutes from closing. And I was likely the only guy to make a purchase for days if not weeks.

I said "Yes. I sleep in them." as though it wasn't an uncommon thing. She didn't have any more cheeky remarks, in fact had nothing else to say outsides of the transaction.

I wondered later if I'd handled that as effectively as I should have. Perhaps instead of being totally upfront about it and derailing her so, I could have said "What would you think if I said 'Yes'?". Ah well.

Wade.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

staticsan wrote:... current designs include built-in shorts, which rather defeats the idea of a skirt.
Female tennis players wear them to show their femininity, while retaining their masculinity :confused: :rolleyes: How about shorts with a skirt underneath for the men? :eh:

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Charlie wrote:Female tennis players wear them to show their femininity, while retaining their masculinity :confused: :rolleyes: How about shorts with a skirt underneath for the men? :eh:

Charlie
I think I can feel a headache coming on... :eh:

Ian
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Women wear tennis skirts with shorts underneath because they want coverage when the skirt flies up. Quite understandable, in my opinion.
eightofninekev

Post by eightofninekev »

Bob wrote:Women wear tennis skirts with shorts underneath because they want coverage when the skirt flies up. Quite understandable, in my opinion.
Why don't they just wear shorts instead?
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Bob wrote:Women wear tennis skirts with shorts underneath because they want coverage when the skirt flies up. Quite understandable, in my opinion.
I fail to see the 'advantage' of 'built-in' underwear, though - seems to defeat the idea of freedom of movement................... :think:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The SKIRT with shorts is called a "SKORT" and is very popular at the
moment. Finding any kind of athletic skirt without the shorts is tough.
The females (as well as male) can wear the skort as an all in one
skipping the need for underwear (panties). The skort(s) come in a
variety of hem lengths - from mini (10-12 inches) to below the knee
(20-24 inches). I have quite a few and enjoy them. When exiting a
vehicle or just sitting you are fully covered from any angle. No unwanted
attention - the design is a great deal better than a skirt which may
ride up and expose what you have or DO NOT have underneath.
Elastic waist is the way to go with the skort. A fixed waist with a
zipper or button limits the comfortability factor.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Milfy

Post by Since1982 »

Milfmog wrote: I think I can feel a headache coming on...
DITTO!! That idea of Charlies is funny, which I'm sure he meant it as, but wouldn't shorts over a skirt make your crotch sorta stuffy? :think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Really it is not all that bad. Get a skort in the right size with plenty
of stretch (lycra). Fits just about the same as a speedo swim suit
with an apron (front and back panels). "Try it you will like it!". Now
on the other hand if you select a denim material that is fairly ridged
almost like canvas I would agree that you are asking for trouble down
in that most tender place. A lot of washings with fabric softener will
help cure this problem. But why not just buy a swim/skirt/suit in nylon
and lycra and everything will be perfect from the start. One other side
benefit of the nylon/lycra is the material is very light weight unlike the
denim and much cooler.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
staticsan

Post by staticsan »

While that is likely, I watched some of the Australian Open recently and only some of the female players I saw were wearing skorts.
staticsan

Post by staticsan »

r.m.anderson wrote:The SKIRT with shorts is called a "SKORT" and is very popular at the
moment. Finding any kind of athletic skirt without the shorts is tough.
The females (as well as male) can wear the skort as an all in one
skipping the need for underwear (panties). The skort(s) come in a
variety of hem lengths - from mini (10-12 inches) to below the knee
(20-24 inches). I have quite a few and enjoy them. When exiting a
vehicle or just sitting you are fully covered from any angle. No unwanted
attention - the design is a great deal better than a skirt which may
ride up and expose what you have or DO NOT have underneath.
Elastic waist is the way to go with the skort. A fixed waist with a
zipper or button limits the comfortability factor.
Okay, I'll have to try it someday.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Actually it's not...

Post by Since1982 »

A "Skort" which has been around for quite a while, is a pair of very wide legged knee length shorts so wide as to look like a skirt without actually being one. Similar to the split skirts female horse riders wore in the early 1900's so they wouldn't have to ride side saddle or also like the very wide legged knee length shorts sailors wore in the late 1700's and early 1800's...Like in the time the movie "Master and Commander, on the Far Side of the World" was set. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

A skort is an item of apparel that looks like shorts from behind and a skirt from front. SK-irt +sh ORTs.

Greg
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Since1982 wrote:A "Skort" which has been around for quite a while, is a pair of very wide legged knee length shorts so wide as to look like a skirt without actually being one.
Surely, that's a Cullotte, Skip? :eh:
Gregg1100 wrote:A skort is an item of apparel that looks like shorts from behind and a skirt from front. SK-irt +sh ORTs. Greg
That's what I thought, too! Mercifully, these garments did not take off in the UK. I think I saw them first c.1987? Strangely, they became popular in Belgium, which is the only country I still see any number in! :shake:

The Netherlands Railways, in the early '90s, issued their female staff with the option of a similar garment as part of their uniform allowance. It was basically a 'skort', but with an 'apron' front & rear, and (just) below knee-length, so it was effectively a cross between a 'skort' & a 'cullotte' - difficult to define. Should we call it a "Skullotte", perhaps? :think:
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Skorts

Post by imadube »

Hey guys,
Though the last two maybe close on to how the Skort came in and was named. Look around - SKORT is ANY skirted shorts permanently afixed together, be it almost mini, or longer. In fact I have my best black Male looking skirt in Skort (well was until I cut out the shorts part, leaving it in seems to defeat wearing skirts). For activity reasons yes the Skort is a good idea - being that we really need a little more modesty in society today.
As for the split leg, long skirted thing - as I was growing up and going to the Baptist Church I learned those things were call (spelling is bad) Koolotts (something sounding like that), as in the Baptist faith girls were not allowed to wear pants or shorts but then OOPS - your undies are showing so - wear those koolotts and that was fixed.
In the late 70's and early 80's girls started wearing a skirted pants, mostly denim (you guys remember those), well it seems that the skort was the idea to return to this type clothing with out the long legs.
I forgot what the shorts with a front skirted flap is called but I do believe it's not skort. This is actually made now for younger girls as a modesty item, where many pants and short are so tight, the flap lets the front side be concealed.
In fact, I feel that men would be better off in skirted garments as so many shorts and pants are actually flaunting the "package in the pants" now. I will no doubt wear my "Wranglers" tight, but sometines I would rather let the skirt flap hide my package from view.
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Tobacco Free Electronic Cigarettes
Two options to purchase;
Red Dragon Electronic Cigarettes
http://imadube.web.officelive.com
Green Smoke Electronic Cigarettes
http://greensmoke.com/5520.html