giant skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

giant skirts

Post by timemeddler »

hoops crinolines and petticoats, has anyone here actually worn one of these before outside of the house? I know they aren't something to be trifled with as driving and other things would be a pain and, most women have probably never even worn these outside of a wedding. The only place I can think of to even attempt it would be at a comic/anime convention, probably as some sort of original character(barring crossdressing as a Disney character.) or maybe a halloween stunt, even if it would be fun to try.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: giant skirts

Post by crfriend »

timemeddler wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:11 amhoops crinolines and petticoats, has anyone here actually worn one of these before outside of the house? I know they aren't something to be trifled with as driving and other things would be a pain and, most women have probably never even worn these outside of a wedding.
Petticoats are not all that much of a nuisance, and I frequently wear one when I want added volume under a skirt (or extra warmth in the winter). Hoops are a bit more problematic, but can be driven in and can look decent if the skirt is heavy enough to deal with the contour. I've not tried a crinoline, so have no experience there.

But petticoats can be quite nice and very comfy.

There's a thread for those of us who have worn them. See "Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop". (Or something to that effect.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

timemeddler wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:11 am hoops crinolines and petticoats, has anyone here actually worn one of these before outside of the house? I know they aren't something to be trifled with as driving and other things would be a pain and, most women have probably never even worn these outside of a wedding. The only place I can think of to even attempt it would be at a comic/anime convention, probably as some sort of original character(barring crossdressing as a Disney character.) or maybe a halloween stunt, even if it would be fun to try.
I wore this to go shopping for diner....Only a petticoat, but I have ambitions of floor length skirts with hoops and crinolines. I follow this Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/@priorattire/videos which shows how to dress in historical costume, where in some eras big skirts were a thing, along with corsets, which I am also interested in.
You do have to be careful not to sweep things off low shelves!
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Mouse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:13 am
timemeddler wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:11 am hoops crinolines and petticoats, has anyone here actually worn one of these before outside of the house? I know they aren't something to be trifled with as driving and other things would be a pain and, most women have probably never even worn these outside of a wedding. The only place I can think of to even attempt it would be at a comic/anime convention, probably as some sort of original character(barring crossdressing as a Disney character.) or maybe a halloween stunt, even if it would be fun to try.
I wore this to go shopping for diner....Only a petticoat, but I have ambitions of floor length skirts with hoops and crinolines. I follow this Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/@priorattire/videos which shows how to dress in historical costume, where in some eras big skirts were a thing, along with corsets, which I am also interested in.
You do have to be careful not to sweep things off low shelves!
corsets are another thing men should wear more. I've been making and wearing them for a few years now, plus most of the ladies like guys in them.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

timemeddler wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:28 am corsets are another thing men should wear more. I've been making and wearing them for a few years now, plus most of the ladies like guys in them.
That sounds interesting, I love to know more about your corset making. What material do you use? I made a corset type wide belt in latex with busk and stays made on my 3D printer.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

Mouse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:50 am
timemeddler wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:28 am corsets are another thing men should wear more. I've been making and wearing them for a few years now, plus most of the ladies like guys in them.
That sounds interesting, I love to know more about your corset making. What material do you use? I made a corset type wide belt in latex with busk and stays made on my 3D printer.
coutil is the prefered fabric, usually takes about 1/2 yard. Unlike mens skirts, mems corsetry is fairly well known and has been a thing since corsets were mainstream especially around the 1830's.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have done this twice in public, both times when presenting as a woman. Once was when staying in a country house hotel. I had an old-fashioned black and white polka dot fifties dress by Vivien of Holloway and consulted the receptionist about wearing it for dinner in the hotel and she said to go for it. I wore it with a massive white petticoat that was slightly longer than the dress, The other is a brown print tweed suit with a fitted jacket and a massive skirt with a matching brown net petticoat, made for me by a dressmaker. I wore it out for dinner with a woman friend, again in a country house hotel. Though the outfits got lots of compliments and were fun to wear they were not very practical for sitting down with masses of volume to accommodate under the table. I recently bought a giant scarlet skirt in a local boutique - I wear it with a separate big net scarlet petticoat. It is good fun to wear at home but not really practical for public and there is always that danger of knocking things over. I have a guitar propped up by a door and there is a distinctive strum as I brush past it in a big skirt. Fun now and again but not for everyday wear!
Seb
Distinguished Member

Post by Seb »

I really like the look of these 19th century huge skirts/dresses with pettycoats under, its a main inspiration era for me. I would jump at a chance to try one out.

I have tried my wifes tulle petty on a few times under various dresses, i like the feeling of it and its not a particularly fluffy one so I can only imagine how a proper organza one would feel like.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

This seems like an area some "new" technology could come in handy. How about some inflatable hoops that could be quickly deflated for when it's better not to be so voluminous?
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I have worn this outdoors on a walk around the neighbourhood just after sunset. The white fluffy petticoat, just peeking below the hem of my skirt, was worn for warmth in winter. Once I started walking my skirt rode up a bit and had almost 2 inches of petticoat on show. No funny looks or adverse comments from people I walked past. Originally posted on 5th January 2019 under the Pics and Looks topic 'Uskees Kim denim skirt'.
Denim jacket and skirt 1.jpg
Denim jacket and skirt 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Jim wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:20 pm This seems like an area some "new" technology could come in handy. How about some inflatable hoops that could be quickly deflated for when it's better not to be so voluminous?
Jim, in the latex world it has already been done by many. Google “latex blow up skirts” and you will find many some of which probably break the cafe rules…..
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Just thought I would join the fun.
Screenshot_20240430_203018_Photos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Mouse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:27 pm
Jim wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:20 pm This seems like an area some "new" technology could come in handy. How about some inflatable hoops that could be quickly deflated for when it's better not to be so voluminous?
Jim, in the latex world it has already been done by many. Google “latex blow up skirts” and you will find many some of which probably break the cafe rules…..
I have no interest in latex, but some interest in a skirt that billows out when I'd like it to.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The thought of you, complete with your full brim hat, work boots, shot gun, in a full length hoop petticoat walking around a PNW town makes me smile.

I'd almost pay to see that.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Anyway... been there, done that... got the random pin on pinterest (not my account)...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/431712314276691446/
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.