Hypothethical Question

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Hypothethical Question

Post by jamie001 »

Men of SkirtCafe,

Support the your woke up in the morning and found by some miracle that men in skirts are the happening thing and that skirts on men are totally accepted and even encourage and welcomed by society. You will be lauded and exalted for wearing skirts that meet societies standards. Sounds wonderful doesn't it? Well wait, there are several big caveats:

1. Only skirts in manly color palettes like black, brown, blue, and gray will be accepted. No baby blue, pastel or the colors. What shade of black, brown, blue, or gray would you like?

2. Only skirts made from heavy material are accepted so that they will appear to be really masculine. No light and airy skirts are permitted.

3. Footwear will be masculine and manly, Women's shoes will not be tolerated.

4. Only masculine handbags will be allowed. The bag must be made for men and marketed to men. Women's handbags of any kind are not permitted.

4. You must at all times present a masculine manly appearance. No makeup, nail polish, or any accessories that could be considered to be feminine.

What are your thoughts? Is this paradise or is it Hell?
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hypothethical Question

Post by new2skirts »

I'd still wear my floral pencil skirts or the odd pastel or pink just to make a point. The same way guys wear all different shades of trousers or shorts :wink:
A life lived in fear is a life half lived ☆☆☆
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I wouldn't change a thing about me or my attire. The drab, heavy, "masculine" is already available in every store that sells jeans, Dockers, & similar dreck.

Let men be human! Don't stuff us into little tiny boxes. The coffin of "macho" is too confining.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

You make me think about a thought I've had at H&M on this Saturday. I had no camera to take any picture, but I was in the men's aisle and did see black, gray, white, marine blue, blue, light blue, brown, light brown, red, orange, purple. All in pale colors however, but all these colors. As for the fabric, I did not check but surely there was cotton, synthetic, linnen and wool. There was also these kind of clothes, they made me thought that women clothes were on men aisle, but nope they are marketed to men. I did not look in detail, and did not even checked the whole department (I was looking for white trousers specifically), but already have found five different models of white trousers, whereas 5 years ago I've searched in a lot of shops without success (Saturday, H&M was the first shop I visited, and consequently the only one since I've found what I was looking for). I even encounter linnen clothes easily, whereas in the past they were exceptionnal to find and expensive. Things are changing, at a slow pace but they are changing.
So to answer your question: the world you describe, yet includes skirt which is not officially the case today, but would clearly be a regression. At least in the corner where I live. In the past two years, out of ethnical attire, I did see four skirted men and one kilted man (twice the same man with different kilts), they were clearly presenting as males. And the count is higher when including the ones whose appearance doesn't suggest a straight male.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 pm And the count is higher when including the ones whose appearance doesn't suggest a straight male.
I think we really need to be careful with this type of thought process because appearance has absolutely nothing to do with sexuality and we need to disconnect ourselves and society from the thought process.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 pm I wouldn't change a thing about me or my attire. The drab, heavy, "masculine" is already available in every store that sells jeans, Dockers, & similar dreck.

Let men be human! Don't stuff us into little tiny boxes. The coffin of "macho" is too confining.
CR,

I completely agree with your response, however it is my belief that it will be many years before we reach that world that you are hoping for.The Man-Box cannot be broken out of and that reason that the scenario I presented above with heavy fabric, drab color skirts for men could be the next reality. In the mean time, GNC such as myself and some other members here such as Mouse (much respect to Mouse) seems to be the road to happiness that is possible within our own lifetimes. Men such as Harry Styles and Hip-Hop artists are helping advance GNC.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

When I dress in a skirt I dress all in black which consists of short black pleated skirt, black leggings or sometimes thick black tights with black timberland boots or Dr Martens and a black top with woman’s scarf and black long coat.

I feel black is a safe colour to wear as it isn’t as noticeable me wearing a skirt than it would be if I wore bright colours like pinks, blues and purples. I like to mix masculine with feminine clothing when wearing clothes.

However, I’d really like to experiment more with colours but so far don’t have the courage as I’d feel it would look far too feminine plus the fact I’m a big guy.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Who made these rules, and who is going to enforce them? The Costume Gestapo?
I'll wear what I damn well please. That might include some blacks, greys, blues, browns, and forest greens.
I'm not one for florals or gaudy harlequin stuff. Or neon colors.
I do like plaids and geometric designs. Checkers and houndstooths OK, but not polka dots.
I like onesies, shortalls, leg wear, and strap shoes. I do not wear jewelry, nail polish, or makeup.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:28 pm Men of SkirtCafe,

3. Footwear will be masculine and manly, Women's shoes will not be tolerated.

What are your thoughts? Is this paradise or is it Hell?
I could probably cope under sufferance with the skirt drab colours, but no way give up my wide selection of boots, bought mainly from the wrong side of the tracks.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 pm[... I]t is my belief that it will be many years before we reach that world that you are hoping for.The Man-Box cannot be broken out of and that reason that the scenario I presented above with heavy fabric, drab color skirts for men could be the next reality. In the mean time, GNC such as myself and some other members here such as Mouse (much respect to Mouse) seems to be the road to happiness that is possible within our own lifetimes.
What, then, of the overwhelming majority of men who are not "Gender Confused"? Are they to be left on the sidelines? If that's the case, then this whole thing can be consigned to the dustbin here and now because it won't help more than a tiny fraction of society.

Yes. I have lofty goals.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:13 pm
jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 pm[... I]t is my belief that it will be many years before we reach that world that you are hoping for.The Man-Box cannot be broken out of and that reason that the scenario I presented above with heavy fabric, drab color skirts for men could be the next reality. In the mean time, GNC such as myself and some other members here such as Mouse (much respect to Mouse) seems to be the road to happiness that is possible within our own lifetimes.
What, then, of the overwhelming majority of men who are not "Gender Confused"? Are they to be left on the sidelines? If that's the case, then this whole thing can be consigned to the dustbin here and now because it won't help more than a tiny fraction of society.

Yes. I have lofty goals.
CR,

I believe that you are viewing this incorrectly. Have you looked up the definition for GNC? Here are two definitions:

From M-W:

: exhibiting behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits that do not correspond with the traits typically associated with one's sex : having a gender expression that does not conform to gender norms

From Oxford dictionary:

denoting or relating to a person whose behavior or appearance does not conform to prevailing cultural and social expectations about what is appropriate to their gender.

Notice that nothing is mentioned about being transgender or gender confused. Your choice of clothing such as skirts and adornment do not indicate that you are gender confused. It simply indicates that you prefer skirts and possibly other clothing items and adornments that are prevalent among the opposite biological sex. Your behavior may be aligned more with the opposite biological sex, and maybe not.That is GNC in a nutshell.

I believe that Mouse is an excellent example because he wears whatever he wants to wear when he wants to wear it and doesn’t GAF, while still completely appearing and acting as a man.

That is my opinion FWIW.

Jamie
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

1 &2 would be my hard ones, number 2 because well, summer. and the colors are ambigouis, does plaid count? :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:20 amI believe that you are viewing this incorrectly. Have you looked up the definition for GNC? Here are two definitions:
The problem is that both of those are (1) very new and very "Politically Correct" and (2) did not exist 30 years ago, and look at the ages of men who may be contemplating action on this matter. You'll see that there isn't much overlap. "Newspeak" does not speak well to mature generations.
That is my opinion FWIW.
And you are welcome to it. It is not mine.

In my opinion, the moment we conflate skirts with gender, we've lost the average guy -- and that's where the target audience is. As I said, "lofty goals". Language is important.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

CR,

We can used “newspeak” to our advantage. Men that loose touch with new concepts are going to get left behind and will stagnate while others will move forward and accomplish their goals.

P.S.
One of my goals here on the Cafe is to get you to agree with anything that I post. Hasn’t happened yet in all these years, but I have hope. LOL :D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:43 amWe can used “newspeak” to our advantage. Men that loose touch with new concepts are going to get left behind and will stagnate while others will move forward and accomplish their goals.
No, "newspeak" is well discredited by anybody over about 50. Orwell warned us about this, recall. Now, retaining an open mind is another matter altogether -- and that's the thrust I'd prefer seeing, not the "am I a boy or a girl", or "was I born a boy and p!ssed off because I wasn't born a girl". Open minds are important for everyday functioning -- and can reject, out-of-hand, "newspeak" and jibberish. The open mind also tends to be a critical one, and one that focusses on, "Can I derive benefit from this?", and that winnows out the noise.

Sadly, for most guys at the moment, "style" is not very high on the hierarchy of needs. Most of us are worried about where our next meal is going to come from from and how we're going to pay the monthly rent.
One of my goals here on the Cafe is to get you to agree with anything that I post. Hasn’t happened yet in all these years, but I have hope. LOL :D
We have vastly different backgrounds, upbringings, and surroundings we grew up in. You're not going to convince me one whit about "Gender Confusion" being a real thing for the vast majority of the population. I understand statistics because I have to work with numbers all the time.