Skirt from a tablecloth?

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt from a tablecloth?

Post by Coder »

Anyone attempt this or see any tutorials (a bit too busy to go down that Google/YouTube rabbit hole)? Found a vintage 70's circle tablecloth and am mulling over the possibility.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirt from a tablecloth?

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:07 pmAnyone attempt this or see any tutorials (a bit too busy to go down that Google/YouTube rabbit hole)? Found a vintage 70's circle tablecloth and am mulling over the possibility.
It's absolutely possible, but depending on the diameter of the tablecloth (which will define the hem length) it may be somewhat difficult to find the precise centre which then means that the maths to get the size of the waist right so the tablecloth can be properly cut in precisely the right way. Botch that by overshooting and you've lost the tablecloth and the project. Not getting it large enough is easier to recover from. ;)

The tactic can also be used with square tablecloths which will produce a "handerchief-hem" look.

I've got a matching pair of round tablecloths in my stock (one opaque and one lace) that I've been wanting to turn into a reversible skirt but have never gotten the time to actually design all the tactics to make it happen.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Coder wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:07 pm Found a vintage 70's circle tablecloth and am mulling over the possibility.
I would have thought that a round tablecloth is an easy circle skirt ready made. Obviously the edge of the tablecloth is a ready made hem. So the waist band is the only other thing to make. Depending on how big the tablecloth is and how long you want the skirt you have two options. You are going to cut a hole out of the middle where the edge of the hole to the edge of the tablecloth is your skirt length. If the hole ends up the same as your waist, then you are installing a zip, so you can put it on. If however the hole is bigger, then you don't need a zip, you just need to make an elasticated waist band and gather the material round the hole to it......
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:44 pm
It's absolutely possible, but depending on the diameter of the tablecloth (which will define the hem length) it may be somewhat difficult to find the precise centre which then means that the maths to get the size of the waist right so the tablecloth can be properly cut in precisely the right way. Botch that by overshooting and you've lost the tablecloth and the project. Not getting it large enough is easier to recover from. ;)
Made a denim donut, but I made a mistake with the central hole. Made it too wide. Much too wide for me to fix the problem.

After that I abandoned the project, because I realized that I don't care much for denim skirts. (From wearing jeans-converted-to-skirt).
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Thanks!
crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:44 pm It's absolutely possible, but depending on the diameter of the tablecloth (which will define the hem length) it may be somewhat difficult to find the precise centre which then means that the maths to get the size of the waist right so the tablecloth can be properly cut in precisely the right way. Botch that by overshooting and you've lost the tablecloth and the project. Not getting it large enough is easier to recover from. ;)
It's 70" in diameter? I should be able to fold it a few times to get the precise center.
Mouse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:14 pm I would have thought that a round tablecloth is an easy circle skirt ready made. Obviously the edge of the tablecloth is a ready made hem. So the waist band is the only other thing to make. Depending on how big the tablecloth is and how long you want the skirt you have two options. You are going to cut a hole out of the middle where the edge of the hole to the edge of the tablecloth is your skirt length. If the hole ends up the same as your waist, then you are installing a zip, so you can put it on. If however the hole is bigger, then you don't need a zip, you just need to make an elasticated waist band and gather the material round the hole to it......
Yeah - that's the idea. I don't know how the fabric will fray when cut.
Grok wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:53 am Tutorial
Thanks! That's basically what I was thinking of doing in my head.

I guess my only hesitation is whether or not I will like wearing a circle skirt. I've bought/returned skater and other similar styles... and all the extra fabric, and so on, just not my favorite... but the opportunity is tempting in the sense that it's ready-made for one, and I have the elastic for a waistband. It's nicely hemmed around the edge, which IMHO is the challenging part (never been good at hems, probably need more practice).
Seb
Distinguished Member

Post by Seb »

I'd say go for it, it should be a fairly quick and simple project. Even if you end up not liking the extra fabric and not using it a lot then you have at least tested it. :)

What else are you going to use the tablecloth for?
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I would say it could work well, particularly if it had a striking radial pattern.
My name is Anthony, please accept me for the person that I am.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:27 amIt's 70" in diameter? I should be able to fold it a few times to get the precise center.
Fold it in quarters (halve it, then halve that) and the resultant "point" will be the precise centre. Mark that, as that'll be your starting point.

Get the slip-stick (or a calculator) and figure the radius for the circumference of where you want the waistband to take up. Be cautious, if you get this wrong your error will be multiplied by Pi*2 in length. As the old saw in carpentry goes, Measure twice and cut once! You want a little bit of overshoot in this as you either need to get the waistband around your hips/arse or over your shoulders (if you put it on overhead) -- but not too much as there's some finishing yet to do!

Try the result on for size. Don't worry if the waist is a bit tight as you'll be folding the waist over to make the tunnel for an elastic (or drawstring, or both) and that'll add some circumference to the waist. Sew the folded waistband to the skirt and draw the elastic (and drawstring) through, secure that, and finish sewing the tunnel.

Voila! A circle skirt from a tablecloth.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

This topic reminds me of the time I bought an old tartan tablecloth from a local charity shop and wore it as a kilt for the university’s fancy dress night. I remember I just used safety pins and a belt to hold it up and it looked good. :)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

DrFishnets wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:26 pm This topic reminds me of the time I bought an old tartan tablecloth from a local charity shop and wore it as a kilt for the university’s fancy dress night. I remember I just used safety pins and a belt to hold it up and it looked good. :)
Yeah, but I need to turn the simplest task ever into a complex engineering problem :P plus overthink it a million times.

In all seriousness - I may attempt it later this week. Just depends on how busy I remain.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

OK, all you "Over-Thinkers", watch Grok's Tutorial for a simple answer.
The seamstress even stated she used a wrong measurement.

KEY :arrow: Take your largest hip measurement and divide it by 7. That will give you the radius to cut for your waist.

Now, for me, my waist is larger than my hips so I'ld replace the hip measurement with my waist measurement.
In one of the other tutorials I listed, the seamstress referenced a radius calculator. Watch those clips to
get the calculator website.

Remember the KISS method - Don't over complicate the process.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:01 pmRemember the KISS method - Don't over complicate the process.
Hence my comment about reaching for either a slide-rule (upon which Pi is clearly marked) or a calculator.

Circumference is 2 * Pi * Radius (which is the same as Pi * Diameter as Diameter is 2 * Radius). Some simple algebra will lead to the correct solution for a radial calculation of a skirt waist-opening that will accommodate hips or possibly shoulders. In short, it's not rocket-science -- and, Always measure twice and cut once.

For the curious, Pi is the ratio of a diameter to the circumference of a circle. It's an irrational number with an apparent infinite number of decimal places. The value is roughly 3.1415936, but 3 significant digits are usually acceptable (and really all one can expect from a slide-rule), so 3.14 is a useful approximation. Save, of course, for some legal jurisdictions who tried to specify it by statute. Indiana, for some reason comes to mind for that, where they wanted to peg it at 3.2. So, it comes down to your preference of significant digits or how wide your calculator display is, but no yardsticks, measuring tapes, or the like will get you below 1/32 of an inch (.0313). And then there's expansion and contraction we get to deal with as well as shrinkage in the wash and "shrinkage over time" as we grow fatter. (The short of it is that anything more than 1 digit to the right of the decimal point really means nothing in this application!)

This will likely drive Coder wild. :)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:04 am This will likely drive Coder wild. :)
Ha! Though I can be practical at times - for this I figured I'd make a simple paper pattern and use that to determine the radius to cut. Again, I'm a bit indisposed for a few weeks, and my free time is limited. I may have a window this week...