Here we go - AGAIN !

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Here we go - AGAIN !

Post by Uncle Al »

ORIGINALLY POSTED MAY 9, 2023

For 6 months or so, spelling and punctuation have rapidly gone down the tubes - That's the reason for repeating this post.
- - - - - - - - - -

Here we go again :|

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE proof-read your posts, looking for errors in spelling and punctuation.
Don't rely on 'Auto-corrupt' to correct YOUR mistakes.

We can only understand what is printed on 'the page'. We can't tell any voice inflections, or sarcasm,
in a statement as we can't HEAR the intended use by the author.

Use a 'space', 'comma' or 'period' to help separate thoughts - and meanings.
Example;
Lets Eat punctuation and grammar V-2 JPG 2024-04-13.jpg
What is the difference between the two statements :?:

Is Grand Ma going to be eaten or is she being asked a question :?:

I'm mentioning this again as in the past 6 months, or so, the cognitive writing has
degraded. Missing words in sentences - leading the reader to question what the
original intent of the statement is/was. We, the readers, can't fully understand
what the meaning truly is. Some of the posts indicate that an A.I. or Chat-Bot is
actually writing the post, not a real person.
crfriend wrote:The canonical guide to this sort of madness is Lynne Truss' wonderful tome Eats, Shoots, & Leaves
(subtitled, "The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation")
PLEASE proof-read your posts. :!:
Make sure your posts may be understood by anyone who reads them.

I'll go back under my rock now - :hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Here we go - AGAIN !

Post by Spirou003 »

Hello,

Thank you for this reminder. I was thinking recently to create a topic about it, because I often have hard time (especially with certain members that I will not name) to read what they write, and eventually just to figure out what they were willing to write. The worst I've seen, is a message that I've not been able to read at all because there was too much errors in each phrase. I've had to skip that message.
English native speakers already can have troubles reading a message with a lot of faults, but it's even harder when it comes to people whose english is not their mother language. They have to deal with translation difficults as well as writing errors or, to take Uncle Al's words "voice inflections, or sarcasm". We are several members here in that situation, living in countries where english is not a national language and thus relegated in the area of languages we did learn long after we did learn to speak any language.
Taking my example, the first time I touched english was at school when I was 14 years old, for two years of 4 weekly hours lessons that I've been obligated to get. After these two years, english was optional thus I discarded it because I don't like english. It went back quickly when I played with programming languages at 17, because you hardly find any documentation that is not written in english.

So yes, I concur with Uncle Al. Please show some respect to the reader by doing at least a few efforts in writing correctly. You would be amazed knowing how many errors I've corrected in the message I'm writing here, but even more knowing that I do the same quantity of errors when writing in my mother language... and it is only the errors I see myself, not all errors!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

it dont botha me none. :twisted: :P

an ill have u no, dats gen-you-ine southern slang write dare :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I didn't understand anything, except that I like your new avatar :lol:
Seb

Post by Seb »

We had a very big campaign in Sweden in the 70-80; write as you speak. To get people to write in dialect to try and save them.

I try to write properly, but I do have dyslexia so there might be some small errors that sneak through. Although English is my mother tounge, I did'nt start speaking Swedish until I was 5 or so, Swedish is my main language and has been so since then.
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

It's also true that Moses was the son of Pharaoh's daughter. It can equally truly be stated that Moses was the daughter-of-Pharaoh's son.

So There.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !