The boundary between skirt wearer and TV

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The boundary between skirt wearer and TV

Post by jamie001 »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:28 am
Mouse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 am
jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:09 pm Since most of us wear skirts, we are crossdressers. When women wear men's items, they are also crossdressers.
Jamie, I fully accept that I used to cross dress, but you cannot put all skirts in the women's camp. When I buy a sheet of material, design and make my own pattern to fit my body. Then make my own skirt, that is not a woman's skirt. That is a man's skirt because I designed and made it for me, a man.

I accept that not all my skirts are made by me, but it bugs me that the word skirt is being reserved for women, when there are clearly men's skirts.
I disagree here. There is a term out there it's called Transvestism or Crossdresser. It's an old term, some.might say an outdated term. If the test for an outdated term is: "Can the term be applied to both sexes?" If the answer is no then it's outdated and should not be used. It's called progress, it's called equality.
Amen Barley! It is a double standard that needs to be eliminated.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I think that we can agree that skirts-as a general type of garment-belong to everybody.

Or, more specifically, to anybody who wants to wear one.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 pm Or, more specifically, to anybody who wants to wear one.
Exactly Grok,
ANYBODY and ANY BODY too!
Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 am I not saying that our lives are missing skirts, I think everyone's lives are missing skirts.
OK BM, are you going to make them mandatory when you become the PM?

Steve
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:09 pm
Grok wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 pm Or, more specifically, to anybody who wants to wear one.
Exactly Grok,
ANYBODY and ANY BODY too!
Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 am I not saying that our lives are missing skirts, I think everyone's lives are missing skirts.
OK BM, are you going to make them mandatory when you become the PM?

Steve
You read my mind. Mandatory skirts for everyone. On the spot fines for anyone caught in trousers.
I'll immediately appoint my cabinet:
Me as First Lord of the Treasury (PM to you)
Stevie will be appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer because he knows all about retail.
Carl will be Home Secretary because he's really worldly.
Victor will be Secretary of State for Transport because he drives a bus.
Uncle Al will be secretary of state for justice because he keeps us on the straight and narrow
Stu will be secretary of state for education because he would make skirts available to boys in school.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 am
I not saying that our lives are missing skirts, I think everyone's lives are missing skirts. They are a happy place.
Have your ever overheard a woman say that...she doesn't want to wear a dress for the rest of her life? If some people like to wear skirts, other people prefer trousers.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Grok wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 pm
Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:32 am
I not saying that our lives are missing skirts, I think everyone's lives are missing skirts. They are a happy place.
Have your ever overheard a woman say that...she doesn't want to wear a dress for the rest of her life? If some people like to wear skirts, other people prefer trousers.
They prefer trousers, true.
Since when does any women ever talk about "the trousers" like "the dress"?
Last edited by Barleymower on Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

And some people prefer to be clothes-free. I wish I had the same freedom to be nude as I do to wear a dress.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Walks wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:28 pm Hi,

Long time lurker and skirt wearer, although not in public yet. trying to work up the courage.
Just curious where the boundary comes between skirt wear and TV.
Well, obviously I am a cripplingly old-fashioned person and a linguistic and conceptual reactionary, but I still think that this is not a stupid question. I am conscious that I am a skirt-wearer, and not a crossdresser. I want to wear skirts (and other things) that are conventionally interpreted as feminine, but I want to wear them as a man. I do not want people to think that I am a woman, or want to be a woman, or that I am trying to look like a woman, or that I am dressing (unconvincingly) as a woman for comic or satirical effect; those would all count as cross-dressing in my book. I prefer them to perceive me either as a man who wears what I like, or as a person who rejects the whole gender binary thing; but not as someone who affirms the gender binary and tries to cross the line between male and female. While the fashion-coded gender binary is still a thing (and it most definitely is), then cross-dressing also is a thing, at least for men.

If I thought there was a real chance that I could pass as female, or even carry off a reasonably elegant drag effect, I would consider crossdressing for my own entertainment; but I don't. Until there is enough movement in social perceptions to allow men (as men, not as aspiring trans-women) to wear full-length dresses beyond the Hollywood red carpet and the pages of Vogue, then I'm not going to be wearing one in public unless there are very unuusal extenuating circumstances.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

If you look at crossdressers.com. you will see that vast majority of members use made up feminine names. I am one of the very few that uses the true masculine name. I even designate in my signature block my preferred pronouns of "he, his, and him". It seems to me a crossdresser wants to pretend to be a woman. Most of the time I present like a woman but since I maintain my masculine identity I am a freestyler, not a crossdresser.
I REALLY appreciate on skirtcafe.org men are not to use made up feminine names.
On Wednesday nights at church there are plenty of times I'm the only one wearing a dress but then there are not very many women that sing second bass down to C2 (2 ledger lines below the bass staff).

I have one sister-in-law who hates dresses and another who loves dresses. It's time for.men to feel free to wear dresses if they so desire. I think of myself as a pioneer of a man wearing dresses the same way as there were women who were pioneers in wearing trousers.

I urge other members of this website to step out and be pioneers in wearing dresses.

John
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

JohnH wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 am It seems to me a crossdresser wants to pretend to be a woman. Most of the time I present like a woman but since I maintain my masculine identity I am a freestyler, not a crossdresser.

John
Good way of making the distinction.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Furthermore I do not have the desire to sound like a woman. There is Chesnekov's So not forsake me with an oktavist solo. There is an ending where it goes down to G1, three ledger lines below the bass staff that has to be projected over the choir. My dream would be.to.sing that solo down to that pitch
in a concert setting instead of the.easy stuff of D2, one ledger line below the bass staff.

John
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Walks wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:28 pm Hi,
Long time lurker and skirt wearer, although not in public yet. trying to work up the courage.
Just curious where the boundary comes between skirt wear and TV.
Hi Walks
I just wondered if you had got any answers from the posts to your question and whether they had contributed enough courage for you to make the first step out in the scary public world in a skirt as a man. I remember my first time in 2016, scared as I was, nothing happened.

Wishing you well Mouse
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...