Skirts in Schools - No hope for boys

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirts in Schools - No hope for boys

Post by crfriend »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 pmNot really possible, I'm afraid. There are so much kids compared to the school staff, that it is simply impossible to check everywhere.
You're largely right on that count, but having the Administration on it's feet, paying attention, and inculcating that bullying will not be tolerated, and have harsh penalties applied to the bullies would be a magnificent start Off school grounds, it's then a matter for the police, and when something like that gets noticed, the miscreant is picked up, put in "protective custody" for a few hours and the parents called to come and get the miscreant. Repeated behaviour should result in sanctions on the parents.

This is not "schoolboy antics", this is assault and battery. Full stop. It should not be tolerated. Nits, after all, make lice.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:43 pm
jamie001 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 pmThere can never be any hope for boys because boys will police each other.
Well, if the various "administrations" would actually do their damned jobs and finally suppress bullying behaviours in the population of pupils there'd be a heck of a lot less trouble. Unfortunately, they won't because the bullying actually bolsters their own obsolete views of why things work.

Yes, it's deeply screwed up. It's like living in The Lord of the Flies.
CR,

I actually find myself completely agreeing with you again! This has been happening too often lately/ The only thing that it seems we will never agree on is the advantages of acknowledging the GNC label. Anyway, I am still waiting for you to agree with one of my posts. :D
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 pm Not really possible, I'm afraid. There are so much kids compared to the school staff, that it is simply impossible to check everywhere. Kids will always find a place to hide from view to commit their misdeeds. And eventually, that "somewhere" can be out of school. A school can be as strict as it wants, it will never be guaranteed to avoid the bullies... even inside school.
If they can’t bully you in school, the will wait until you get off the school bus and then two or three bullies (they always operate in numbers) will beat the crap out of you for the fun of it. I speak from experience.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:00 pm
Spirou003 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 pmNot really possible, I'm afraid. There are so much kids compared to the school staff, that it is simply impossible to check everywhere.
You're largely right on that count, but having the Administration on it's feet, paying attention, and inculcating that bullying will not be tolerated, and have harsh penalties applied to the bullies would be a magnificent start Off school grounds, it's then a matter for the police, and when something like that gets noticed, the miscreant is picked up, put in "protective custody" for a few hours and the parents called to come and get the miscreant. Repeated behaviour should result in sanctions on the parents.

This is not "schoolboy antics", this is assault and battery. Full stop. It should not be tolerated. Nits, after all, make lice.
I am agreeing with CR again! What is the world comint to? :lol:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:35 pmIf they can’t bully you in school, the will wait until you get off the school bus and then two or three bullies (they always operate in numbers) will beat the crap out of you for the fun of it. I speak from experience.
At which point it becomes a matter for the parents and/or the police. Interpersonal violence should be strongly discouraged in civilised spaces.

The funny thing is that bullies are usually cowards and will back down if sufficient threat of force is deployed. And, if so confronted with a gang of 'em, the best move if escape is not an option is to undertake a charge on the putative leader who, in 90% of cases, will turn and run like the wind out of sheer surprise of an actual threat of attack. Not usually do I endorse violence, but if there's no other choice there's no other choice and the risk needs to be taken.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The schoolyard/playground operates on rules worse than the laws of the jungle.
If a kid is not going to confirm, they will have to be fast or fisty, preferably both, to the nth degree.
In this case, Carl and Jamie are both correct in many respects.
The bullies will get you, and yes, I also speak from experience, my non-conformity was glasses, skirts would have upped that ante exponentially.
I did mean "fisty", bullies understand the language of pain, sometimes you have to know how to speak it and send a clear message.
The real misconception is that the school authorities have full control, they really don't!
Boys wearing skirts at school, the kids will work it out, but it will be a bloody hard fought battle in the process or it simply will not ever happen.
Full societal acceptance for men in skirts will likely hinge on the outcome.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Bullies understand the language of fear. If you are scared they can see it and they have won. The only solution is to get big or harden up and not care. Big enough so they stay away or so hard that no matter what they do it won't effect you and they move on. Skirt or no skirt.
It's really difficult when you are a little kid though the difference in boys can be huge. By year ten some of the boys are 5' and 8st. Others are 6'2" and 13st.
It's down to the schools really. I get the feeling that schools are run by indoctrinated biggots who see skirted boys as deserving all they get.
I wrote to 30 schools last year for national skirts day and didn't get one reply.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

crfriend wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:08 pm
jamie001 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:35 pmIf they can’t bully you in school, the will wait until you get off the school bus and then two or three bullies (they always operate in numbers) will beat the crap out of you for the fun of it. I speak from experience.
At which point it becomes a matter for the parents and/or the police. Interpersonal violence should be strongly discouraged in civilised spaces.

The funny thing is that bullies are usually cowards and will back down if sufficient threat of force is deployed. And, if so confronted with a gang of 'em, the best move if escape is not an option is to undertake a charge on the putative leader who, in 90% of cases, will turn and run like the wind out of sheer surprise of an actual threat of attack. Not usually do I endorse violence, but if there's no other choice there's no other choice and the risk needs to be taken.
CR,

This reminds me of one of my favorite movie classics - A Christmas Story with little Ralphie. When little Ralphie couldn’t take the bullying anymore, he beat the living crap out of the bully.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

School kids often divide up into groups, cliques, gangs, or whatever you want to call them. The possibility exists, I think, for a group leader to get his group to wear skirts together. There is safety in numbers. It takes a very brave boy to do it on his own, but we do see the stories from time to time.
timemeddler
Distinguished Member

Post by timemeddler »

on the other hand, guys wearing skirts could be a new form of teen rebellion against the system.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

At schools where the uniform policy insists that boys wear long trousers, but allows girls to wear skirts. There have been many stories where a gang of boys have turned up in skirts to make a point in hot weather. The stories usually point out how comfortable a skirt is.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

School is always going to be school. Bullies will be bullies.

What keeps young boys from wearing skirts is basically the same thing that keeps men from wearing them...

...women.

Most women and girls won't touch a guy in a skirt. Come on guys, we were all 15 once... what was the most pressing thing on your mind then? Hint- it likely wasn't making a fashion statement!

A teenage boy will gladly take an ass beating if he still gets the girl at the end of it.

So again, it's got nothing to do with laws, headmasters, bullies, dress codes, etc... it all comes down to what the girls want. Boys would wear a prom dress to a dog fight if it helped his chances of getting a little poontang that night... ass whoppins be damned.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
DrFishnets

Post by DrFishnets »

I remember at school if any boy forgot their P.E kit then as punishment they had to wear girl’s skirts or gymslips. I remember thinking to myself that I’d love to deliberately forget my kit so I could wear a skirt but obviously I kept that thought to myself plus it wouldn’t of been fun getting humiliated by the everyone at school especially the girls.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

moonshadow wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:04 am Most women and girls won't touch a guy in a skirt.
Unless it's a kilt and the wearer can carry it off. Then, suddenly, the "guy in the skirt" will become an object of lust. Weird, eh?

Maybe that's the route to getting boys to wear skirts - make them tartan, pleated and wrapover style and then they can say they are kilts. Once people - including women and girls - become accustomised to seeing boys in these, they can gradually be changed. Make them solid green or black. Give them elasticated waists rather than wrapover. Remove the pleats and have some in A-line or straight. A series of baby steps.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:43 pm Well, if the various "administrations" would actually do their damned jobs and finally suppress bullying behaviours in the population of pupils there'd be a heck of a lot less trouble.
It's been tried.

Anti-bullying campaigns tend to backfire and make the problem worse. They may teach bullies to be more effective and not get caught. Or they teach bystander interventions that don't actually work. In some cases, the reports of low level bullying go down, but suicides go up.

No one is teaching kids to stand up for themselves. You aren't allowed to punch a bully in the face. A kid who does that will be in more trouble than the bully.