Earthquake

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Earthquake

Post by Uncle Al »

In case you missed it, the East Coast of the U. S. had a 4.8 Earthquake.
4.8 Earthquake 2024-04-06.png
Earthquake, aftershocks shake New York, New Jersey: April 5th, CBS News 8 p.m. update

Airports were shut down. Possibly a bridge collapse as well.
Many people were forced out of their homes.

Historic Philadelphia thankfully didn't see damage from Friday's 4.8 magnitude earthquake
(Watch the video in this link.)

I hope that all Cafe' members(and everyone else), residing near Newark, NJ., are safe :!:

Side note: When I was in High School, I was visiting a friends home and we were in his bedroom.
We were discussing Amateur Radio(HAM & CB). I was standing on a non-gripping throw rug, on
highly polished floors. We experienced a 2.0 quake and I was sliding across the floor.
That was a scary situation, to be sure. Originally, we thought a B-52 was flying an 'oil-burner route'
over our area. Then we found out about the 2.0 quake which occurred 75 miles South West of our town.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Earthquake

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Year before last we had a 3.2 quake just 4 miles from my home in SC, USA.
The house shook and rattled but no damage was done except I had to dust everything off again. I was siting at my computer and my neighbor called and wanted to know what had happened. She had never felt an earthquake before.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

In march 2010 me, my wife and our two children moved out to Christchurch in New Zealand. On Sep 4th 2010 there was an 7.2 magnitude earthquake in Darfield . We gathered the children and stayed in bed while the house shook. Strangely we had mocked the "In an emergency, public information films" on NZ, then when we got up there were piles of mud everywhere (liquifaction), no power, no water, no money, no food and two hungry children. Luckily we had half a tank of fuel so we went to a nearby town and got everything we needed.
In Feb 22 2011 I was on my way back from Roleston for looking at new carpark in a factory. I was at the lights and I saw the tipper next to me rocking from.side to side. I looked to my left and saw a petrol station roof flapping like a tea towel. I thought the tipper was going fall on me, so I tried to escape from the passenger door. Suddenly it stopped and the lights turned green so I drove off. As I passed Christchurch city I could see people walking out of the city covered in dust. There were cracks in the road and water mains springing up. I decided to go home and not go to the office. I hit a traffic jam to left the car and walked. The problem was a bridge collapse at Brighton near us. The deck was still intact but had come.off its bearings. I walked over the bridge and thumbed a lift on the other side. Strangely I found a car upended in a sinkhole near our house. Everyone was fine at home and this time we were ready with food and gas etc. That was the 6.3 magnitude.
Next day I went into Christchurch to help with the rescue effort. The city was fenced off by the army but they let me through when I said I was joining the rescue effort. Everywhere I looked there were collapsed buildings and bricks in the road. I found the rescue teams and joined a group heading up into the Cashmere hills doing house to house searches. Anyone we found we asked them to go down to the big gymnasium at Summer Beach. I helped them find the water stop.cock and power. It's all I could do. I distinctly remember a lady who would not come.out from under a table. She said her son was coming. Another man's windows had all blown out with one of his walls. He was sat there in his lounge. I tried to talk to him but he would not talk.
On June 13 there were two more earthquakes, I think 5.5 and 6. These two shocks caused some nasty damage in poorer parts of town that were built on soft silty ground. The liquidifaction was really bad with silt 1m deep around houses. I joined the student army and we dug them out, it was amazing what we achieved with help of shoves and council trucks.
Lots of people lost their houses and faced years of waiting for the insurance assessors.
On December 23 2011 another magnitude 6 struck in the water just off the coast. Not enough for a
tsunami and they had big dunes to protect the coast. I was washing my car when it struck, I ran indoors and saw my motorbike come crashing now next to my son. We all sat on the sofa together and rode it out.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Barleymower,

As Christchurch is the town where I originate, the goings on there have been closely monitored from here.
I was in Christchurch for the Christmas and new year 2010 - 2011, and I vividly remember the pattern of quakes that rocked the area on Boxing day, starting at 2:07 am, 2:08 am, 2:32 am. 5:43 am, 8:30-ish am, oh and that 4.9 at 10:30 am was a good jolt, a strong vertical up down followed by a sharp wallop sideways, and they didn't stop all day.

Only a few items broken at my dad's place in Avonhead in the September 4 magnitude 7.1 quake at 4:35 am.

My aunt and uncle who lived in St Martins, Christchurch copped it badly on February 22, their house basically split in two along a seam in the floor slab, with liquefaction squirting through the floor crack, their driveway was impassable, no water or sewer for several weeks.
That day I sat here with the TV on watching everything going on with disbelief seeing the devastation.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:12 am Barleymower,

As Christchurch is the town where I originate, the goings on there have been closely monitored from here.
I was in Christchurch for the Christmas and new year 2010 - 2011, and I vividly remember the pattern of quakes that rocked the area on Boxing day, starting at 2:07 am, 2:08 am, 2:32 am. 5:43 am, 8:30-ish am, oh and that 4.9 at 10:30 am was a good jolt, a strong vertical up down followed by a sharp wallop sideways, and they didn't stop all day.

Only a few items broken at my dad's place in Avonhead in the September 4 magnitude 7.1 quake at 4:35 am.

My aunt and uncle who lived in St Martins, Christchurch copped it badly on February 22, their house basically split in two along a seam in the floor slab, with liquefaction squirting through the floor crack, their driveway was impassable, no water or sewer for several weeks.
That day I sat here with the TV on watching everything going on with disbelief seeing the devastation.
Hi 6ft3Aussie,
There was a earthquake post right there on the cafe and after some days thinking about I decided to post my experiences in Christchurch which are too numerous to mention.
I hope your Auntie and Uncle are fully recovered now.
I expect your family being hit by such damage as you describe would have been red zoned. This was a good thing I remember because the assessors came to you quickly. Much better than the limbo of yellow zone houses.

There were literally thousands of quakes. I've only listed the major events but in-between there were quakes regularly. Our last house was a timber built old villa type house. The noise was deafening as the timber frame shock.

Most memorable:
The CTV building (god rest their souls)
The Cathedral
The Grand Chancellor hotel leaning over
The explosive demolition of the Newstalk ZB building
The devastion in Lyttleton.
To name a few

Here's an animation of the quakes if anyone is interested.
https://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/all
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I live in Philly and was at work when the tremors hit. It only lasted ten seconds, but felt like a train rumbled over my cubicle. Fortunately there was no damage at the office or at my house. Whew!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.