Doing away with "Embracing feminity"

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Doing away with "Embracing feminity"

Post by jamie001 »

According to psychology we all have a feminine and masculine side to our personalities. Some of us are more on the feminine side and some are more on the masculine side. Gender is a spectrum and we should embrace it as such. Women have been encouraged for years to embrace their masculine side and men should be encouraged to embrace their feminine side. Women have boyfriend shirts, boyfriend underwear, and a lot of other items. Why don’t men have Girlfriend’s shirts, girlfriend’s underwear, and girlfriend’s skirts?

Instead of lying to ourselves and rejecting our feminine side, we should embrace it with pride and be glad that that we have items of clothing that are categorized as feminine do that we can prodly show and embrace our feminine side in the same manner that women embrace their masculine side.

How about some girlfriend’s skirts that are exactly like the skirts women wear but are cut to better fit men? I will take a pink one please along with matching pink high heel boots.

Don’t be afraid to embrace and nurture your feminine side. She will always be there...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

jamie001 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:53 pm According to psychology
Well, right there is your problem. I firmly believe psychology - while useful tool for helping individuals - is made up of a lot of BS.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

jamie001 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:53 pm How about some girlfriend’s skirts that are exactly like the skirts women wear but are cut to better fit men? I will take a pink one please along with matching pink high heel boots.
Please, can I have a purple set?
jamie001 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:53 pm Don’t be afraid to embrace and nurture your feminine side. She will always be there...
I used to see my feminine side very much as the bit of me that crossdressed in private. For the last 10 years I have been joining up the two parts of me into one confident and happy MIS. It has been so much fun to incorporate items of clothing and footwear, that I have had for a long time, into my public style. I am still adding things from my feminine side into the mix. The handbag, which I have documented here, is one such item. (To be clear, the handbag in my own brain was feminine, however I know a bag is just a bag and I do not mean to tar all small bags which members may carry as feminine.)
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Reread the title of the thread, and thought that "embracing felinity" depends on the individual member. A few members may view themselves as having a feminine side, while others may not share this self image.

What do members have in common? Listed:

1. In general, a live and let live attitude towards other members.

2. Not accepting all the restrictions on self expression that society places on men.

3. A strong interest in wearing open ended garments.

Regarding point number 2, I suppose this might apply to some non-members who might be interested in, say, wearing jewelry, or using nail polish, but would not be interested in trying open ended garments.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Here is my take on this topic, deja vu anyone?

viewtopic.php?t=24377.

I think quite a few members can relate to this whether they will admit it or not!
Sometimes, methinks the lad doth protest a tad too loudly.

I'd say say Grok's 3 points are pretty much in line and our similarities, more important than our individual quirky differences.
There's enough strife, why add more?
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Coder wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 pm
Well, right there is your problem. I firmly believe psychology - while useful tool for helping individuals - is made up of a lot of BS.
I studied psychology at a graduate level. There are numerous theories, all contradicting one another. Each theorist can see data that confirms his theory. This sort of stuff isn't science.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Grok wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:59 pm Reread the title of the thread, and thought that "embracing felinity" depends on the individual member. A few members may view themselves as having a feminine side, while others may not share this self image.

What do members have in common? Listed:

1. In general, a live and let live attitude towards other members.

2. Not accepting all the restrictions on self expression that society places on men.

3. A strong interest in wearing open ended garments.

Regarding point number 2, I suppose this might apply to some non-members who might be interested in, say, wearing jewelry, or using nail polish, but would not be interested in trying open ended garments.
Excellent post!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim's post nails the whole bit about psychology, "This is not science." And indeed it's not. Science is the search for fact. If one is looking for truth one needs to consult philosophy.

The reason that there are so many conflicting "theories" in psychology is that there's no solid ground to build upon. Psychology is built upon human foibles and human variability.

Humans are very complex creatures and it's probable that no two will ever respond precisely in the same manner to stimuli. I still laugh about the time when I explained to a retired clinical mental health practitioner that perhaps the only reason I made it through a massive depressive event in 2013 where I went deeply suicidal was my trivial access to firearms and ammunition. He was absolutely gobsmacked by the notion because it flew in the face of everything he was ever taught -- yet here he had an exemplar that defied the "education". I explained the matter quite simply, "It removed all the anxiety about method and allowed me to concentrate on the core matters of what was going on." He had to cogitate on that one for quite a few minutes before finally admitting that, "Indeed that makes sense." Sadly he passed away a few years ago; I miss him and the conversations we had sorely.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Elaborating on my last post, the membership is more diverse than it might seem at first glance. The membership is broad enough/inclusive enough to have everything from Braveheart to Trans. One might assume that this would be unworkable, yet somehow it does work.

Again, I refer back to the general live and let live attitude.

Also, the point I made about members not accepting all those restrictions on personal expression. Speaking only for myself, I can sympathize with other members on this basis, even if their particular interests aren't ones I share.

By the way (and I hate having to say this), the de-emphasis on politics partly explains the harmony. On other web sites-ones that are supposed to be apolitical-I have seen a political tangent become inflammatory.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Yes, I agree there is a lot of BS to psychology. That is the complete opposite to mathematics which is exact.

John
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

JohnH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:39 am
Yes, I agree there is a lot of BS to psychology. That is the complete opposite to mathematics which is exact.
John
I have never studied psychology, but I am happy that some do, since working out how we as humans work is important. I am sure as you all say that there is an abundance of theories and few proved facts.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

JohnH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:39 am Yes, I agree there is a lot of BS to psychology. That is the complete opposite to mathematics which is exact.

John
Just a pity that the human brain wasn’t designed on the binary system then isn't it John?
Fact is that a lot of what is seen as BS in human psychology is based on humankind being very far from exact.
Gods, we don't have to look very far to realise that now do we?
We'd be an even poorer specimen of a race if we were and MIS probably wouldn't ever have arisen.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:00 pm
JohnH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:39 am Yes, I agree there is a lot of BS to psychology. That is the complete opposite to mathematics which is exact.

John
Just a pity that the human brain wasn’t designed on the binary system then isn't it John?
Fact is that a lot of what is seen as BS in human psychology is based on humankind being very far from exact.
Gods, we don't have to look very far to realise that now do we?
We'd be an even poorer specimen of a race if we were and MIS probably wouldn't ever have arisen.
Steve.
"Far from exact?"
With people's memories failing them, people's prejudices, their upbringing (conditioning), universal education (conditioning), politics.. religion.. God forbide anyone chose to lie to maintain their view!
What chance does psychology have to make sense of the mad, mad mixed up world?

An old woman looked down at her nose at me yesterday. I felt like pushing her over. I didn't of course. A shop keeper also complemented me on my kilt yesterday. It's actually a black pleated skirt. No matter. If I ever get another complement I will talk about male fashion freedom.