International Men Can Wear Dresses Day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Re: International Men Can Wear Dresses Day

Post by Ozdelights »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:11 pm
Yonkas wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:17 pm So, if playing an armchair psychologist/sociologist to convince yourself and others you’ll never get anywhere, is your oonly contribution, please, keep it to yourself. We’ve all heard enough of that.
Yonkas,
I have to decline, I shall speak as I see fit and with no apology to anyone.

Steve.
Steve, I agree we should all be able to say our piece as long as it is done respectfully.
Barry.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Quite Barry,
Thanks.
Steve.
Seb

Post by Seb »

I think, in the current state, the best way to gain additional traction from a day like this is to make sure any social media any one of us can convince to promotes it, ofc the mis ones but also any retailers/influencers etc that are known to be accepting.

And make it a thing, just like metoo, if as many as possible would upload a picture with a tag #meninskirts #internationalmencanweardressesday to whether accounts you all have available or can ask if any ones you have contact with can post. Even faceless pictures would help a lot.

Ofc newspapers or other old media outlets would be great, but most of us dont have those connections.

Standard retail will probably be a tough nut, they will join when the traction is there to increase their own visibility, but I think small retail, especially those that are already very accepting like size inclusive brands would love the opportunity to post a image of video of a mid and help promote us, no harm in asking if you have one in your local area. Malls might be possible too.

Well ofc we have to be out and be good ambassadors too!

I don't know if this makes any sense, but shoot, lets post it anyway. :)
Not alone with a dream, Just a want to be free, With a need to belong,
I am a skirtsman
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom, Freedom
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

I wonder whether we do more of the type of thing Steve did with the Herald of Scotland news paper. I thought the piece that came from that was quite good, even involving Skirt Cafe input.

If anybody cannot get the link in Steve's post to work. I have put together a full text of the piece. I would post it here but don't want to put the Cafe into any copyright problems. I can however PM to any member that wants it.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yonkas wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:26 pm
You might, for example, go the route of StichFix, and offer a paid subscription to assemble, and send, a different outfit, or set of outfits every month, based on user preferences/body type.

Or, as another example, you might get companies to pay you to offer their clothing on your own website, by focusing on constructing outfits from existing clothing lines. So, instead of the presenting "modular" way of shopping for clothes, you offer ensembles based on search preference. You could also provide both the options to "Buy ensemble" or to buy individual pieces.

Couldn't we have something like that?
StitchFix

Yonkas, perhaps you could start a web site. One place to start would be to copy the links from the Links section.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mouse wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:07 pm I wonder whether we do more of the type of thing Steve did with the Herald of Scotland news paper. I thought the piece that came from that was quite good, even involving Skirt Cafe input.
If anybody cannot get the link in Steve's post to work. I have put together a full text of the piece. I would post it here but don't want to put the Cafe into any copyright problems. I can however PM to any member that wants it.
Thanks Mouse,
I had already made contact with the journalist who wrote the piece about our get together in September, he even expressed an interest.
However, that was when I still had a vision for a "mass meet", we know where that went, don't we?
Given the response, I won't follow up because I have no wish to waste the guy's time.
That experience merely establishes my credentials for being realistic about pressure groups, flash mobs all the other fanciful notions which have been floated on this thread.
My cynicism is based on experience and knowledge, not wishful thinking!
Still like to be proved pleasantly wrong but I honestly doubt I will be.
Good luck to anyone who wishes to try too.

Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:42 pm That experience merely establishes my credentials for being realistic about pressure groups, flash mobs all the other fanciful notions which have been floated on this thread.
It would be quite an undertaking to convince a goodly amount of people to form a flash mob... plus it would be weird -> what message is it sending? Who controls that message? What would the flash mob do - just stand about? And I think you'd have to exert some control over what people wear otherwise you'll just end up like r/Menskirts has (seriously, it's super toxic - don't go there on Reddit).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Yonkas wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:34 pm I also wonder if we could have a coordinated flash mob on that day. Inundate retailers with men shopping for skirts/dresses.
Alternatively, you could have like 20 MIS show up to a crowded mall, and act as if they are each independently shopping on that day (but not necessarily for skirts/dresses).
Coder wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:13 pm It would be quite an undertaking to convince a goodly amount of people to form a flash mob... plus it would be weird -> what message is it sending?
Wasn't my idea Coder!
I know the effort involved to bring a group of MIS together in one place , it is damn near impossible!
Never mind twenty, twelve or so guys in skirts in one place simultaneously would certainly be a world record in the annals of Skirt Cafe history.
Add the fact that I have travelled seven hundred miles with the express purpose of joining a group of cafe members, anyone gone further?
Let me stress, all that I am doing here is underlining my thinking, since I don't appreciate being told to stay silent.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:47 am Wasn't my idea Coder!
I know, sorry my reply didn't look that way (I wondered if I should have clarified). I was agreeing with your sentiment.
STEVIE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:47 am I know the effort involved to bring a group of MIS together in one place , it is damn near impossible!
Never mind twenty, twelve or so guys in skirts in one place simultaneously would certainly be a world record in the annals of Skirt Cafe history.
Add the fact that I have travelled seven hundred miles with the express purpose of joining a group of cafe members, anyone gone further?
I think the biggest one I seem to recall was some kind of skirted march when the the met opened their Bravehearts: Men in Skirts exhibit back in... 2003. And it was small and awkwardly named based on the number of guys who showed up. I tried to find a news article but failed to find anything. I swear it was called the "million skirted man march" or some variation thereof.

I don't want to belabor this - but with the totality of problems in this world - men's fashion freedom while important - doesn't rise to many of the injustices found in the world. Perhaps there is a bigger issue about freedom, expression, compassion that could ultimately help redefine what a "man" is in today's society for the better. Even if we can tie all those things together... I feel it would be lost on society at large. You really would need a dedicated non profit or organization to sell such a message and do research on the negative impacts on boys/men growing up this society. Not to be cynical... but I'm just going to say I don't think anyone cares.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:51 amI don't want to belabor this - but with the totality of problems in this world - men's fashion freedom while important - doesn't rise to many of the injustices found in the world. Perhaps there is a bigger issue about freedom, expression, compassion that could ultimately help redefine what a "man" is in today's society for the better. Even if we can tie all those things together... I feel it would be lost on society at large.
This is one of the reasons I think this notion should be lumped into the general fight (a rear-guard action, itself) for Men's Rights. It's just too small otherwise to be noticeable by John Random Public.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Coder wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:51 am
I think the biggest one I seem to recall was some kind of skirted march when the the met opened their Bravehearts: Men in Skirts exhibit back in... 2003. And it was small and awkwardly named based on the number of guys who showed up. I tried to find a news article but failed to find anything. I swear it was called the "million skirted man march" or some variation thereof.
I found this verifying what you posted. I hope this helps.

https://thefreemale.org/afterthoughts-o ... men-march/

This news article isn't behind a paywall, but have to register to read article.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/b ... 15484.html

Here is an old link the cafe forum has about the march.

viewtopic.php?t=9409
Last edited by mr seamstress on Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

Mouse wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:17 pm
That website is run by our member Steven http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/memberl ... file&u=265
I had a feeling he is a member of cafe, that name did ring a bell. My goal was just to verify about Million Man Skirt March, but appears he got the year wrong. If you check I edited above post with a news article I made Google cough up.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I don't need a special day to wear dresses. I wear them almost all the.time. There are exceptions such as climbing on the roof to replace shingles and trim branches, and running wires through the attic where I wear trousers. And occasionally.I.will wear a coat, tie, and trousers on Sunday mornings.

John
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Coder wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:51 am (...) You really would need a dedicated non profit or organization to sell such a message and do research on the negative impacts on boys/men growing up this society. Not to be cynical... but I'm just going to say I don't think anyone cares.
Just having that kind of organization is not enough, it needs competent leaders. There is an association dedicated for men in skirts in France, but it is poorly managed and is heading for disaster. To give an example (among others) of the poor management, I recently started writing on their forum, but because of the way I was greeting people in my messages, I have been publicly treated like a kid by the administrator, who told me (in a mean and judging way) that the next time I would do it, I would see my account deleted. As for the competence, this association exists since a long time now, but I don't feel their work did produce any output at all (I may be wrong with this)