International Men Can Wear Dresses Day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
mr seamstress

International Men Can Wear Dresses Day

Post by mr seamstress »

On May 15th mark your calendrer for International Men Can Wear Dresses Day. Get ready to celebrate. This is our big day. Got to look good. If we can get retailers to join in in this celebration. When you visit a retailer remind them of this very important day. Lets try to get them involve.

https://www.internationaldays.co/event- ... IGFR5nY4qn

March 31 is National crossdressing Day.

https://whatnationaldayisit.com/day/crossdressing/
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: International Men Can Wear Dresses Day

Post by crfriend »

mr seamstress wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:44 pmOn May 15th mark your calendrer for International Men Can Wear Dresses Day. Get ready to celebrate. This is our big day. Got to look good. If we can get retailers to join in in this celebration. When you visit a retailer remind them of this very important day. Lets try to get them involve.
The problem is not retailers -- all they want to do is make money by selling things. The problem is society -- men and women alike -- where "men don't wear skirts (or dresses)" and women don't consider the few who do desirable. Until society loosens up we're going to be stuck where we are, and it shows precisely no sign at all that it will -- if anything it's getting downright regressive.
Likely not of much interest for this lot here.

Seriously, I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but this is very much our fight -- and we're (1) thin on the ground, (2) outnumbered by hundreds or thousands to one by Orthodox Cross-dressers, and thus (3) not a viable market segment at the present time.

The thing that really ruffles my feathers is the fact that women -- in spite of supposedly wanting "sensitive men" -- pretty much categorically refuse to take a man in a skirt seriously and then gripe when they fall into "abusive" relationships (although most of those go two ways). Odds are that the guy in the skirt is fairly sensitive and caring and the macho bully quite the other way 'round -- but yet the macho ones "win" almost 100% of the time. That, especially, has to loosen up -- and it shows no signs of.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

mr seamstress wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:44 pm On May 15th mark your calendrer for International Men Can Wear Dresses Day. Get ready to celebrate. This is our big day. Got to look good. If we can get retailers to join in in this celebration. When you visit a retailer remind them of this very important day. Lets try to get them involve.
Mr S.
Why do you persist with this fixation on the retail side of fashion, they don't dictate trends, they react to them in order to profit from demand.
As for the dates, it's what I do every day that counts to me, I wear a skirt or dress without being reminded.
Cross dressing is fine but should not be a pre-requisite in choosing to wear whatever you wish, I got over that a long time ago and don't need to go back to it.
I'm really trying to understand what motivates you so keep posting and I might see it eventually.
Steve.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:59 pm
mr seamstress wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:44 pm On May 15th mark your calendrer for International Men Can Wear Dresses Day. Get ready to celebrate. This is our big day. Got to look good. If we can get retailers to join in in this celebration. When you visit a retailer remind them of this very important day. Lets try to get them involve.
Mr S.
Why do you persist with this fixation on the retail side of fashion, they don't dictate trends, they react to them in order to profit from demand.
As for the dates, it's what I do every day that counts to me, I wear a skirt or dress without being reminded.
Cross dressing is fine but should not be a pre-requisite in choosing to wear whatever you wish, I got over that a long time ago and don't need to go back to it.
I'm really trying to understand what motivates you so keep posting and I might see it eventually.
Steve.
As being a person wearing a dress or skirt there will be others trying to discourage you. You have to be positive about yourselves and believe in yourselves. In you believing in yourselves as an influencer, you are going to try influence others. As a customer of different businesses you would to try to influence business to react to a special day like International Men Can Wear Dresses Day. They are in business to promote these types of days for maxim profit, but it also can help in promoting man can wear a dress or skirt he any day he likes. Any business that put up a sign in recognizing a such a day helps you as an influencer in accepting you just a man just like any other man just wearing a dress or skirt. These business can make these signs in their business for pennies.
I post special days like this isn't that much about reminding you that you need to wear a dress or skirt, it's about reminding you to be aware and being prepare when some approach and start a discussion over these special days. In addition you can approach someone and start jiving with them and try to influence them about days like this. Who knows you might come across a news reporter and want to discuss why you are wearing a dress or skirt on this day. It's another day you can have little extra fun. Think about how many blokes you can jive with because they aren't wearing a dress or skirt on International Men Can Wear Dress Day?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

mr seamstress wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:03 pm Who knows you might come across a news reporter and want to discuss why you are wearing a dress or skirt on this day.
Done that, check this Mr S,

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics ... irts-meet/
I'm the one in red and SkirtyScot is with me in the photo, Skirted84 contributed to the interview too.
That article was published on the 4th March 2023.
Steve.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:09 pm
mr seamstress wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:03 pm Who knows you might come across a news reporter and want to discuss why you are wearing a dress or skirt on this day.
Done that, check this Mr S,

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics ... irts-meet/
I'm the one in red and SkirtyScot is with me in the photo, Skirted84 contributed to the interview too.
That article was published on the 4th March 2023.
Steve.
Unfortunately that website isn't working any longer. I even tried using my other computer and it gave me same results.
Getting news coverage about men in skirts and dresses can help in getting accepted by society. Just like see more of it.

In my neck of woods retailers don't recognize International Men Wear Dresses Day. When they do it is a sign of society in accepting men in dresses and skirts. Therefor I'm going to push that we try to get these retailers on board in recognizing this men can wear dresses day. In getting retailers react to International Men Wear Dresses Day, maybe we can get society to react in accepting us men in dresses and skirts.
I assume your neck of woods is like mine where retailers will ignored this international day. I go by what is posted and what isn't posted showing this is true on this forum.

According to the internet United States is suppose be the leader in unisex clothing. I find more business in UK in selling dresses and skirts toward men there, then here. It is about what type clothing and whom it is market to.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Stevie's link works fine with me.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Oh my, I hadn't realised that the 15th of May was so significant in the world's calendar.
Apart from men in dresses, there are 21 other "events", marked for this auspicious date.
Two in particular stood out.
Buddha's birthday and a special day for children taking their parents to the park.
I'm surprised that Hallmark have missed this one, there are an awful lot of Buddhists in the world who'd see the humour in this.
Then we have Nestles to produce chocolate replicas of all the icons for the kids to be gorging on in parks all over the world.
I hope the absurdity is obvious, commercial opportunism cannot and never will equate with social reality.
Steve.
MrSoapsud

Post by MrSoapsud »

Unfortunately 15th May is our wedding anniversary and since my wife is "uncomfortable" with me wearing anything from the other aisle (despite her mostly wearing trousers and, as she's small, often "boy's" "leisure wear") I'm unlikely to be able to participate without causing friction!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

MrSoapsud wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:43 pm Unfortunately 15th May is our wedding anniversary and since my wife is "uncomfortable" with me wearing anything from the other aisle (despite her mostly wearing trousers and, as she's small, often "boy's" "leisure wear") I'm unlikely to be able to participate without causing friction!
I've seen a gentleman wearing a nice kilt in a Welsh tartan (Lloyd, with an unusual asymmetric sett)...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

MrSoapsud wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:43 pm I'm unlikely to be able to participate without causing friction!
Don't worry there are 21 other things plus your wedding anniversary to choose from which needn't cause friction Mr Soapsud.
Check the list, I'm pretty sure most of humankind is covered in one way or another.
If not, create one and then sell the idea to a major sponsor and make a fortune along the way.
Steve
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

Thanks for ponting this out!

So…if the retailers/vendors respond to demand, then, why don’t we start making a rucus? Why don’t we start calling retailers/vendors and demand that they acknowledge this day?

While most won’t there is a chance that one will see the marketing potential in doing so (Ivy City Co. comes to mind). So, if even one retailer bites, that would be a huge victory for us, and possibly put our cause on more peoples’ radar.

A coordinated, targeted, campaign might just acheive this.

I, for one, am sick of being treated like I don’t exist and am ready to make a stink!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Yonkas wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:14 am So…if the retailers/vendors respond to demand, then, why don’t we start making a rucus? Why don’t we start calling retailers/vendors and demand that they acknowledge this day?
Make all the "rucus" you wish bur telling retailers how to conduct their business isn't the demand that will get a response.
Retailers will change marketing strategies when a significant cross section of men demonstrate the demand with hard earned cash.
While the MIS movement may be growing, we are still a hell of a long way from achieving mainstream status.
As I said, the brick wall is a lot harder than a human head and optimism is simply the triumph of hope over experience.
Sadly, I really don't think I will be proved wrong anytime soon either.
Steve.
mr seamstress

Post by mr seamstress »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:15 pm
Yonkas wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:14 am So…if the retailers/vendors respond to demand, then, why don’t we start making a rucus? Why don’t we start calling retailers/vendors and demand that they acknowledge this day?
Make all the "rucus" you wish bur telling retailers how to conduct their business isn't the demand that will get a response.
Retailers will change marketing strategies when a significant cross section of men demonstrate the demand with hard earned cash.
While the MIS movement may be growing, we are still a hell of a long way from achieving mainstream status.
As I said, the brick wall is a lot harder than a human head and optimism is simply the triumph of hope over experience.
Sadly, I really don't think I will be proved wrong anytime soon either.
Steve.
Since we are customers that gives us the right to address the issue of recognizing us as customers. As customers we can tell a business how to conduct themselves, just like any other customer. The only way a business can stay in business by listening to their customer base. Your arguments that they don't have to listen to base of customers in their needs. A base of 10 customers just important as a base of 100 customers. They need to listen to all customers, not just a few. Stevie you are just important as everyone else is. When you stand in line to purchase a dress, remember you are as just important as the nine women behind you buying that same dress.
We are important that we raise our voices today and not have to think we need wait for more voices to be heard. There isn't any harm in raising our voices today.

A business has the responsibility to listen to all their customers base not a select few. Remaining silent isn't going to help us.

In the military a 911 call came in to rescue a man being attack with a knife. My partner and I went through a large crowed without backup to recue this victim that had his throat cut. This incident is part of my military record. My partner and I didn't wait for the odds to get better before recusing this victim. My work in military was being a small unit providing base security. there would be about 20 on duty any given time providing security 70,000 solders or more. As base security I was the other MP (military police).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mr seamstress wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:50 pmSince we are customers that gives us the right to address the issue of recognizing us as customers. As customers we can tell a business how to conduct themselves, just like any other customer. The only way a business can stay in business by listening to their customer base.
Indeed, but we are a tiny, tiny minority and well below their RADAR screens. In short they're not going to even notice us.

1) Retailers are not the problem. They exist to make a profit. We do not represent a meaningful market in the grand scope of things. Why?
2) Men are their own worst enemies. Why don't men wear skirts? Because men don't wear skirts. Circular logic and herd mentality.
3) Women won't usually accept an "unconventional" man into their intimate circle. They're worried about their own public image. BTDT; it's not fun.

Until society changes its attitude things are not going to get better for us. So, all we can do is just be ourselves and, in the process, be ambassadors for the notion. I don't anticipate any meaningful change in my lifetime. If anything, I see matters getting worse at the grand scale. At the small scale we can win minds, if not hearts. That's where we start. (And, sadly, likely finish.)
Remaining silent isn't going to help us.
On the other hand, making a lot of noise may hurt as we're going to be perceived as something that most of us are not. Recall that a lot of public sentiment is also running against us.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!