A beautiful skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A beautiful skirt

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:36 am remove the mesh
You mean the built-in-slip? Just a small advisory - if you wear any kind of legwear having the built-in slip is much nicer than an add-on. And in fact... yesterday I wore a slip WITH my lined skirt and tights. I don't know why I've never tried it before - but no cling!

I usually only wear a slip when I'm wearing an unlined skirt with tights, but with just one lining skirts tend to cling regardless. Having two slippery layers makes a huge difference, and is kind of obvious once you think about it.
Mouse
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mouse »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:36 am My lovely wife bought me the skirt. It was too expensive for a Laura Ashley skirt..but thank you.
What ever she buys you, it is a mark of support and is very special from a wife to a MIS. You must look after her, she is special.
Daily, a happy man in a skirt...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:43 am
Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:36 am remove the mesh
You mean the built-in-slip? Just a small advisory - if you wear any kind of legwear having the built-in slip is much nicer than an add-on. And in fact... yesterday I wore a slip WITH my lined skirt and tights. I don't know why I've never tried it before - but no cling!

I usually only wear a slip when I'm wearing an unlined skirt with tights, but with just one lining skirts tend to cling regardless. Having two slippery layers makes a huge difference, and is kind of obvious once you think about it.
Heavens no Coder! I would never do away with the built in slip. I got rid of the tulle net between the top layer and slip.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Mouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:28 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:36 am My lovely wife bought me the skirt. It was too expensive for a Laura Ashley skirt..but thank you.
What ever she buys you, it is a mark of support and is very special from a wife to a MIS. You must look after her, she is special.
She is special Mouse. That's why I had to make it right. I appreciate her immensely.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:25 pmHeavens no Coder! I would never do away with the built in slip. I got rid of the tulle net between the top layer and slip.
That's going to get rid of the original silhouette of the skirt by decreasing the volume of it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:40 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:25 pmHeavens no Coder! I would never do away with the built in slip. I got rid of the tulle net between the top layer and slip.
That's going to get rid of the original silhouette of the skirt by decreasing the volume of it.
I concur with crfriend - just took a closer look at the original photo. You could always have them include it, and if you really don't like it cut it out after the fact.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:14 pm
crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:40 pm
I concur with crfriend - just took a closer look at the original photo. You could always have them include it, and if you really don't like it cut it out after the fact.
The skirt has a lot of volume. The top layer is fairly stiff with a lot of fabric. Add in the mesh in-between layer and and you have something fit for the sound of music.
I'm really not concerned about losing the mesh layer. It will be be much more comfortable and useable.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:31 pmThe skirt has a lot of volume. The top layer is fairly stiff with a lot of fabric. Add in the mesh in-between layer and and you have something fit for the sound of music.
That was part of the Laura Ashley aesthetic -- the fact that they're rather clearly from another time, but brought forward to the present -- and to some that's a very desirable look. I make use of that tactic fairly extensively.

The ultimate decision, of course, is yours -- it's your skirt, but I'd be tempted to let it be and just be happy with it. At least consider getting used to it as it is before committing any acts you may later regret.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I would say keep the mesh for now and see if you get used to it. You can easily cut it out in the future if you really don't like it. If it was my skirt I'd keep it but that's just my personal taste.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

The work I'm getting done is beyond my skill level so I won't disturb the tailor now I've set him the task. I will ask him to save me the mesh and larger off cuts. The mesh could be an easy project for me.