David Ross Lawn

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

David Ross Lawn

Post by Barleymower »

David Ross Lawn wears the most amazing dresses, complete with full.beard.

https://www.instagram.com/davidrosslawn ... pscWtzdg==
Screenshot_20240325_173519_Google.jpg
He is also a pianist and composer. He puts us all to shame. He's out there being amazing and doesn't give hoot about the abuse he receives. He even brings it into his videos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: David Ross Lawn

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:36 pm He puts us all to shame. He's out there being amazing and doesn't give hoot about the abuse he receives.
He doesn't put me to shame BM.
The dude is a performer and the beard/dresses combo don't harm his fan base.
For that matter, neither does the abuse, for every bit of criticism there will be those who will rush to his defence,
More to the point, is he an accomplished and entertaining musician?
Nah, a young guy headed out in an average town on a Saturday night wearing a skirt might just accomplish the shame bit on me, not this.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Ahh - his posts occasionally appear in my feed, and I wondered what his deal was.

There are two kinds of Instagram MIS posts:

1) The celebrity type, ie, David Ross Lawn and others (not sure if marc b fits into this category), where social position lets them wear what they want and they are celebrated

2) The common man type, ie, Getting Dressed with Brad

There's nothing wrong with #1, but in #1's case, MIS is an asset wielded as a sort of badge of honor. With #2, there's a major stigma we the common folk are going against and trying to overcome. Not that any of us are looking for fame and fortune, but maybe an understanding spouse/partner.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Coder wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:09 pm With #2, there's a major stigma we the common folk are going against and trying to overcome.
I live in a conservative small town. I'm almost always in a skirt, although I wear trousers or a dress once in a while. I don't find any major stigma. Probably some folks used to talk about me behind my back but must be pretty used to it now. My everyday interactions are normal.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 pm
He doesn't put me to shame BM.
The dude is a performer and the beard/dresses combo don't harm his fan base.
For that matter, neither does the abuse, for every bit of criticism there will be those who will rush to his defence,
More to the point, is he an accomplished and entertaining musician?
Nah, a young guy headed out in an average town on a Saturday night wearing a skirt might just accomplish the shame bit on me, not this.
Steve.
Ok slight exaggeration but I still think the dresses are amazing. The clothes of that period are much more stylish than the rags we throw over ourselves today.

His music is ok, I listened to a piece today. I think it's difficult being a piano composer in 2024. Nobody is very interested in piano unless it's in the background.
Spotify says Taylor Swift or The Weekend is much better.
Here's .one of his piano pieces:
https://youtube.com/@davidrosslawn?feature=shared
He reminds me of Philip Glass, a hard act to follow.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Jim wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:18 pm
Coder wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:09 pm With #2, there's a major stigma we the common folk are going against and trying to overcome.
I live in a conservative small town. I'm almost always in a skirt, although I wear trousers or a dress once in a while. I don't find any major stigma. Probably some folks used to talk about me behind my back but must be pretty used to it now. My everyday interactions are normal.
Yes once people are over the shock and realise you are just expressing your own taste they generally are ok. That's the shame about MIS it wouldn't take much to get it over the line, it's just that initial step.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:D
I live in a fairly large area of the Bible Belt, The Mid-South of the US. I wear a skirt or dress everywhere I go. I am no longer subjected to the cat calls and ridicule That I first got. Now I get complements in stead of jeers. It is we who just go forth in our skirts and damn the torpedoes who are the real heroes here!

The rich performers do help though as they allow many who otherwise would never see a man in a dress or skirt become accustom to the site.

:)
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:30 pm
Yes once people are over the shock and realise you are just expressing your own taste they generally are ok. That's the shame about MIS it wouldn't take much to get it over the line, it's just that initial step.
I guess I mean to say stigma among family. Because - at least in my experience - the general public don't seem to care.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:46 pm I guess I mean to say stigma among family. Because - at least in my experience - the general public don't seem to care.
Do you think they are just looking away? If you were in their family then they would act in the same way as your own family?
The stigma exists, but I still think it's the initial step that is more of a wall than a step.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Coder wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:46 pm I guess I mean to say stigma among family.
My adult son suggested I change into pants before going someplace formal with him a few times. I politely declined and he now seems used to it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:55 pm Do you think they are just looking away? If you were in their family then they would act in the same way as your own family?
The stigma exists, but I still think it's the initial step that is more of a wall than a step.
I don't know. I would say strangers have never averted their eyes - but I also think it takes a LOT to be noticed in a way. That is, we are hyper-aware of fashion - lots of people might not be as obsessed/focused as we are on outfits?
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:51 pm
Barleymower wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:55 pm Do you think they are just looking away? If you were in their family then they would act in the same way as your own family?
I don't know. I would say strangers have never averted their eyes - but I also think it takes a LOT to be noticed in a way. That is, we are hyper-aware of fashion - lots of people might not be as obsessed/focused as we are on outfits?
I think it epitomises the complexity of a simple situation. People change their pérception of a situation depending on their personal investment.
My wife sometimes sees skirted men at the university, she is unfazed by this and will discuss their outfits with her colleagues. I wore a skirt with her and the children in my early MIS days and she refused to get out of the car.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Followed him for quite a while on Instagram. College lecturer, musician, photographer and lover of fashion - what’s not to like :-)

He got some really negative press when a right-wing commentator decided to pass comment. Fortunately, the brand in question supported him.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am in a similar situation to what Jim describes.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Never heard of him before.

I agree with Stevie. MIS will only move forward by ordinary men who aren’t otherwise in the public eye are out and about in a dress.